Who subscribes to the 'one rifle' lifestyle?

I think anyone with a one rifle theory is one sick puppy, I couldn't limit myself to only one. Be like my wife only having one pair of shoes.

What I'm hoping to do now, is have a supersonic rifle (the Swede) & a subsonic rifle (my Micro) since the sight adjustment between supers & subs is absurd on my Micro.

There's a few cons with this though. So far the Micro is more accurate than the Swede but the Swede will reach out farther than the Micro. And I have a freaking crap ton of blackout supers since I didn't plan on buying another rifle.

Being honest with myself the blackout will do anything I need a rifle to do, which is 90% of thetime just a range toy. Otherwise occasionally dispaching a wary varmint on the family farm & bedside duty at the house.

Still, once I've got a load the Swede likes I can keep the Micro sighted in for subs which will save me so much effort. Since m the Swede at 300 yards has the same energy the blackout does at the muzzle, I'll set the sights to 200 yards & if I can consistantly shoot a sub 2 moa group prone, I'll be happy.

While I do have more than one rifle I like to keep it simple. I will only buy guns in 22lr, 357 magnum, 45-70 govt or 12ga. Every gun that I own is one of those rounds.

I wish I could get my wife to do the same :confused: Though she does like the 357 rifles.

one rifle

No. I have many, I got two that do most of my hunting. 45-70 and 270.
Rifles are cheap compared to good glass. I got single shots, bolts, semi auto.
Our primitive weapon has to be over .35 caliber. And then there are My dads guns, cool short guns and the garand, ... you see what I mean, It goes on.

I can understand how someone could do the one rifle thing if they only had one circumstance where a rifle would be useful. For instance if you only owned a rifle for hunting whitetail in an environment that was consistently uniform, then sure, you could realistically use one rifle. In my area you could probably get by with only a 270 for just about any mammal. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your perspective) it is easy to get addicted to shooting. You shoot one gun and you want to try more.

I like the way you think, deja vu. Of the few calibers I have, you listed three of them.

Someday I'd like to cast my own bullets, so I'm thinking about another rifle for that. I always thought .35 Remington was a neat round...

So much for only having one (centerfire) rifle!

I don't know, one center fire rifle??? To me that seems like saying I have only one screwdriver for all different size and type screws. Doesn't seem practical.

Jim

I don't know, one center fire rifle??? To me that seems like saying I have only one screwdriver for all different size and type screws. Doesn't seem practical.

Jim

Of course, that presumes that just because they exist a person will actually work with every size and type of screw. If a person will only deal with 2 or 3 screws, it may well be possible to have a single screwdriver that is small enough for the smallest and large enough for the largest so as to be perfectly functional for all. ;)

I think most of the time 1 rifle is enough.

When my dad was young he often said all you need is 1 Rifle 1 shotgun and 1 postol (may be a 22lr as well)

He did not practice this 100% but he still kept it simple. He would stock up on 30-06 and 45acp ammo but he did own other calibers and would often have a box or 2 of ammo for those but would have literally 1000s of rounds for his faithful 30-06 and 45.

I on the other hand only run 4 rounds but have many guns for those 4 rounds and reload for all of them (other than 22lr ;) ) Its nice when there is an ammo shortage because I know I am stocked up on what I need. Every pay day I buy 2 boxes of ammo (recently only one 1 box if its 45-70 cause of the price). Recently I have been buying lots of shotgun rounds. During the ammo shortage Shotgun rounds where still common so I got those. When shotgun rounds become scarce ill still be ok.

A few years ago people use to make fun of me for stocking up on 22lr. That is until they had to buy there ammo from me :D Federal Bulk and Eley SSHP and some stingers (I was on a stinger kick for a while) 12ga is common now but who knows about tomorrow. I am stocking up on 12ga now while its cheep.

Most of us realize that the only way one is limited to ONE rifle is when finances or laws force it. That acknowledged, a multi-rifle owner will gravitate toward one caliber in many cases.

The other challenge is that many of us cannot imagine one load, let alone one rifle, being good from everything from squirrels through moose. The moose gun kicks like mule and is heavy, the squirrel gun doesn't do diddly squat even for small deer, and the deer gun is too much for squirrels and rabbits and isn't good for elk. This thinking results from our almost insane desire to have precisely the right tool for every job.

We really are better served when we have the fortune of choosing one rifle that is easy enough on the wallet and shoulder that we can put at least 500 rounds per year through it for all but the largest game. The .243 Winchester comes close to meeting this goal, but the 6mm bullets are on the small side for elk. The .270 Winchester has more recoil than many people are truly comfortable with even though it is light-recoiling compared to the ageless 30-06. We end up taking a closer look at 25 caliber and 6.5 mm bullets.

Going with 25 caliber and 6.5mm bullets means that one should take a close look at the .257 Roberts, the .260 Remington, the 6.5 Creedmore, and the 6.5 Grendel. These all have modest recoil and are all capable of dealing with varmints through at least elk. Even the Grendel, with recoil like that of the .243 Winchester, has the ability to take medium game out to at least 500 yards when the right bullets are used.

Get your youngster one of these and he or she will have a core rifle they will come back to time and again. They will also likely to become very good shots using that rifle!

Your youngin' is 8 or 10? That's where an adjustable sock comes in handy. They won't need to re-stock the rifle when they get bigger, and the adjustable stock will accommodate the thickness of winter clothing even when they are past their 60's.

Last edited:
I spent most of 30 years buying, shooting, and collecting rifles...at one time I had a few hundred rifles in just about every big game caliber you could imagine...last year I figured out what I needed and sold the rest...all of them...I now have a 30-06, a 243, an AR15, and a few 22's, and a 458 Win Mag (don't need it, just couldn't bring myself to sell it)...my wife has a 270, and a few 22's...my oldest son has a 30-06 and a 22.

As nice as it was to play with all those other rifles and calibers...
I know now that having only one rifle is NOT a handicap.

270, 280, 30-06, 308...any of those will do just fine in a one rifle battery.

The 30-06 is the one I shoot the most...but the 243 does come out once in a while for coyotes.

I took the money from selling the other rifles and bought a brand new 4x4 truck...and had plenty left for reloading supplies, hunting expenses, etc.

Last edited:
Its been a very interesting thread! Man, one rifle, nauseates me to think of that. Right now ive got 37, plus 12 shotguns, and nine handguns. The rifles run from .458 Lott to .22 LR, but my BABY is my Ruger M77 MkII .270 Win. stainless laminate. Or...maybe its my M77 Compact .243 stainless laminate. I just LOVE that lil rifle! Probably have to go with the .270 though, that ones my go-to, and its smoked a buncha deer and hogs! This has all been fun to ponder, but tough getting my mind around just one rifle....

In 1949 I was given an accurate 22 RF rifle. When I was a teen ager 1952 I got a Winchester Mdl 70 270. Started reloading 100 and 130 grain bullets for it in 1953. I shot unwonted critters , pronghorn, mule deer, and elk with that rifle which I still have. In 1957 I got a 222 rifle and stopped using the 270 for varmints. In 1965 got a 308 Norma Mag for elk hunting but continued using the 270 for pronghorn and mule deer. Over the years I have used other varmint and big game rifles but looking back all I needed was my old 270, a 22 RF, and a 12 Ga shotgun.

one rifle

I have had the one rifle thing going for quite a while, but not necessarily by choice. My .308 I am not counting because it isn't reliable enough for hunting for some reason I haven't nailed down. I have only used one 30-06, ever really. I have taken it out for everything from coyotes to antelope, deer, and elk. I switch bullets for elk, but overall I am very happy with it. I would like something along the lines of a .243 or 25-06 or something for plinking and coyotes, but mostly for the 12 year old. I will probably stay with the 30-06. I am pretty attached to that rifle. My dad is the collector, so if I want to see safes of guns, I just go down there.

I believe that the question of whether or not one centerfire rifle is sufficient depends on what you want to do with a rifle. A .30-06 (.308,.270,.280 7Mag etc etc) would be a good general purpose large game hunting rifle. It would be useable varmint rifle but if one did more than incedental varmint hunting, a .223, .22-250, .243 or .17 HMR would be much better. Going to Alaska or Africa may well indicate something larger. If one was interested in rifle competition, a rifle approriate to the game would be required. In addition to the above, many people believe that it is prudent to have a fighting rifle. One rifle is sufficient only if it covers all of your needs.

Drue

"A man with two watches doesn't know what time it is."

I have one medium cal semi-auto that is 100% reliable. I can field strip it down and put it back blindfolded. I know the rifle. Only use factory mags.

If I only had one firearm, that is the one I would choose and get rid of the rest.
To me, that should be the criteria regardless of it's intended use.
IMHO of course.

Back