who needs a revolver?

There are several videos online that show how to properly grip the slide braced against ones body when you have a weak hand. U tuber Fate of Destiny is one of the posters but their are others.

Well, I don't really laugh when someone shoots themselves. It really isn't a laughing matter. But have you looked at the manuals that come with handguns lately?

They are so full of warnings in red printing that it can be a little difficult to find the information you're looking for. Sometimes European editions are a little more straight forward, even though they may be in six languages. Anyway, you quickly get the idea that the thing in question is really too dangerous to handle. I guess they're supposed to be dangerous, though.

Sometimes the instructions leave you scratching your head with what they said. First it says to always use the safety, then on the next page it says not to trust mechanical safeties. And they don't even mention some of the things that are frequently discussed here, possibly because they aren't set in stone.

The first new gun I ever bought came with a little three page leaflet, as I recall (for a Browning Hi-Power), one panel of which was taken up with an advertisement for Browning pistols. The pistol didn't even come with a box but rather a zippered pouch. I don't recall that the next new gun I bought came with anything at all. It was an H&R .45-70 reproduction Springfield carbine and I bought it from the same shop in Morgantown, West Virginia. Other than those two guns, I don't remember seeing another gun in the shop, even though they had cases full of them. I knew what I wanted. I still do, only now I want a lot more.

I wish the revolvers of today where around when I was in the police. I would of loved my 627 8 shot 357 magnum back then! Its not that much bigger than a 6-7 shot full sized revolver.

rmocarsky said:
On May 23 I broke my left elbow and had a plate put in.

There is no way in this world I can cycle the action on the 1911.

I hope your visit to the doc went well.

For 1911s, there is a bushing that sticks out past the barrel for an inch or so. It allows one to rack the slide by driving the muzzle into any hard object.

OP here.

I am good to go and all I need to do now is re-acquire full strength in my left arm.

As of now, racking the slide is hit and miss; however if I cock the hammer first I have no problem.

But I have an even deeper appreciation for the noble S&W Model 66.

It is a flawless classic.

Rmocarsky

Last edited:
Back