who needs a revolver?

Not sure how a 1911 without a round in the chamber in a lockbox would be of any use to you two hand or no... beating them with the lockbox maybe...

As far as one hand goes though I would much rather just have an FN FNX 45. It has 15 rounds of .45 and if you just leave a round in the chamber and have it sitting next to your bed you are golden. If you are scared of shooting yourself in the night for some reason... just flip on the safety.

It's understandable that some folks would feel safer with their guns locked up in a box.
They are vicious things and can leap out at ya' when least expected. :)
Seriously, I do the same thing when not having it close at hand, especially when leaving the house without it.
A friend of my father's surprised a burglar when coming home and was shot and killed with his own gun.

Nothing at all wrong with a revolver, as long as youre realistic in your practice/training with it.

If youre switching from an autoloader, and especially one with a SA trigger, you need to put in regular practice with the revolver, if you hope to keep your muscle tone and memory up to par, as well as your overall skills. You also need to do so on a regular basis BEFORE you need it.

If youre planning on the revolver being your good hand "injury" gun, then you need to do so with your off hand as well, and even a little extra effort.

Revolver reloads require a proper tecnique, some skill, and regular practice as well. They arent hard to do, once you get them down, but you do need to be able to do them, without thought, and in any light and stress level. Does a reload go with the gun when you take it with you? If no, why not? Youre already behind the curve in the capacity department.

Personally, Id just switch hands with my normal carry gun. I already practice off hand shooting with it, so its really not a big deal to switch.

Im not a fan of lock boxes for daily use. I have a couple around, in unlikely places, but I dont keep one in the bedroom. I wear a gun daily, when Im awake, and it rests fully loaded, in its holster, in my pants, right next to the bed, once I get into bed. There are also a flashlight, and a couple of reloads in those same pants. I dont have to go look for anything, fumble with a combo or key, and I know right where they are.

I would not have been without a quick access lock box when my kids were little. Clever hiding places, high shelves, and so on do not reliably keep kids away from guns and often do not grant faster access than a lock box.

For that matter, I am not sure that I consider a loaded revolver safer that a chambered semi if you are going to leave it laying around. But I just can't sanction leaving either laying around unsecured unless your household only contains adults familiar with firearms and has no guests.

The baby of my family is a 26-year-old engineer, and although I use my lock box a lot less than I did when the kids were little, I still have it and use it when I have overnight guests whose firearm training I don't know.

Revolvers still have their place amongst firearms users. They are comparatively simple to use, and therefor well suited for beginning shooters. I also believe that they are a more appropriate arm for those who wish to have a gun for home defense but are less interested in spending the necessary time to learn the intricacies of the semi auto pistol. A well used, not particularly valuable but perfectly capable S&W M36 2" bbl .38 revolver is also my typical airline travel gun; if it gets lost or stolen out of my checked luggage I won't cry very much and the airline can just buy me another one.

I'm amazed that any of us over 50 are still left alive, it seems that without a hi-cap auto were as good as dead. I just can't figure out how I lived carrying a revolver all those years. Many years ago I shattered my left forearm and it wouldn't heal right, still doesn't work well sometimes. Anyhow I carried a Ruger security six then and shot a lot one handed, I could hit the cylinder release, stick my middle finger through the now open frame and press the ejector with my thumb, I'd stuff the barrel into my waistband behind my belt buckle and load with speed loaders or loose rounds from my jacket or vest, snap the cylinder shut and be back in action. Everyone ought to keep a good wheelgun around, there not obsolete yet.

OP here,

I guess I should have explained that my "lock box" is a pistol vault with a push button combination.

And it is bolted to the inside of my wardrobe at the foot of the bed.

I have always had a dog (currently a Brit) that I rely on for my early warning system.

And there are people that frequent my house and the "lock box" assures me that no one but me can access the contents.

That beats the stuffing out of leaving it in the safe in the club basement.

Rmocarsky

Children are grown so I keep loaded firearms around the house. When company with kids come; loaded firearms go in bedroom with the Pitts. The Pitts are friendly and love to play, but can be too rough when kids rev them up.

Same as most people of my generation, the kids grew up with a sliding glass door gun cabinet with ammunition in the drawer or a gun rack.
I grew up with reloading in the basement with ammo cans of surplus 30 Cal. No problems ever; however, kids today are different or maybe parents are different; beats me.

I absolutely believe in an old wheel gun. The old cowboy style action revolvers are very fun to shoot. I even enjoy the old cap-n-ball revolvers. A friend of mine hunts wild hogs with his old Navy cap-n-ball revolver. He loves it and does very well with it. Revolvers will never die.....

One of the guys I work with has no left hand at all. I have seen him rack the slide on every semi that he has held at the range. I think it is a mind set thing. Though he does shoot revolvers a lot. He does so due to the fact that he shoots them better. The guy is a top hand at bulls eye shooting with small bore.

Anyone who's read many of my post knows I'm a huge revolver fan. I constantly state REAL COPS CARRY REVOLVERS.

Without a doubt my favorite handgun, I can shoot them better then I can semis.

Having said that, I'm also a firearms instructor, been so for nearly 40 years. People want to shoot semis so I instruct in semi use.

A loan officer at my bank is a gun nut. He only has one arm. He loves semis but thought he could only use a revolver.

I question that. I've been taught by Gary Anderson, an Olympic Gold medal winner and has set records in the 60s that have never been broken. He knows shooting but more so he knows coaching. One thing he pounded into us is THERE ARE NO HOPELSS SHOOTERS.

There are few handicaps that cant be overcome.

So I take my banker to the range. I demonstrate loading a semi with one hand. I start out with a pistol in my belt. Slide closed. I insert an empty magazine in the pistol, then take the pistol and holding the top (sights) against my pants leg I vigorously push it down my pant leg. The sites drag on the pants causing he slide to lock open on the empty magazine.

I then eject the mag, put the pistol in my belt, insert a loaded mag and drop the slide to chamber a round.

It took my one arm banker just a few seconds to be able to load his semi pistol.

It worked. And with todays multi round magazines there would be little need to change mags in a self defense situation but remember, the last round leaves the slide back so its easy to load a fresh mag with one hand. Drop the mag, tuck it in your belt, insert a fresh mag and get after it.

Careful teaching this method to women. The sights on the pistol will tear up nylons.

Always remember THERE ARE NO HOPELESS SHOOTERS.

It seems like a hundred years ago, Dad taught me, in a emergency you could chamber a round in the 1911's by placing your thumb behind the grip safety and fingers curled over the slide and squeeze. Not a good explanation but it works, he used to practice different ways of using auto's with one hand. When I shattered my arm, I switched to wheelguns and still like them, although I carry a Commander more than anything else.

OP, Im a revolver fan as well, love them!

But I have to ask, have you tried holding the 1911 in your left and racking with your right then switching hands?

SARuger, just tried it, awkward as all heck, I've been racking the slide with my left hand for a good 35 years, and am a slow learner. I can't see the point in it anyway. I should practice loading and shooting with one hand more though.

OP here,

I guess I should have explained that my "lock box" is a pistol vault with a push button combination.

And it is bolted to the inside of my wardrobe at the foot of the bed.

I have always had a dog (currently a Brit) that I rely on for my early warning system.

And there are people that frequent my house and the "lock box" assures me that no one but me can access the contents.

That beats the stuffing out of leaving it in the safe in the club basement.

A gun in a pocket beats a gun in a lock box.

All my guns but one are locked in the gun safe. The other is in my pocket. My kids are gone, but grandkids are around a lot, they bring friends to ride grandpa's 4 wheeler and horses.

I don't know these kids. I don't know what they will do if they found a gun. One of my greatest fear is some kid getting hurt with one of my guns.

I do know they cant get into my safe, nor can they get in my pocket.

in Home invasions it takes about 3 seconds to kick in a door. I'm old, it will take me a lot longer then that to get off the couch and head to the lock box in the bedroom (or where ever).

I takes less then a second to get my revolver out of my pocket.

If you want to learn how to cycle an automatic with little strength in your hands and wrists, find a six-year old boy and ask him to show you how.

I always get a chuckle out of folks that carry a 1911 with an empty chamber. I wonder if they carry their revolvers unloaded as well. :)

I never laugh at whatever someone else wants to do. It's their prerogative. I do get a chuckle when I read about someone having an accident with a pistol, usually a Glock. It may be true that safeties are dangerous things but sometimes I wonder.

However, my copy of a 1916 US Army NCO manual says to leave the chamber empty under the hammer of a revolver. But it also says to carry a .45 automatic with a loaded chamber, hammer down.

I assume all of you who prefer to keep your automatic pistols with a chambered round also keep your home defense shotgun the same way, because as we are constantly reminded, there won't be enough time to chamber a round. Etc., etc., etc.

These are reason why, though I may share some of my opinions, I don't really recommend anything.

I do get a chuckle when I read about someone having an accident with a pistol, usually a Glock.

I personally get a chuckle when I hear about someone having an accident with a rifle or shotgun. The vast majority of them have safeties, and I mean come on, there isn't a rifle or shotgun made with a trigger that's anywhere near a Glock trigger that DOESN"T have a safety! Yet people still manage to accidentally pull the trigger!

Back