who needs a revolver?

rmocarsky

I have always kept a 1911 in a lock box near my bed.

Fully loaded mag, empty chamber and loaded spare mag.

On May 23 I broke my left elbow and had a plate put in.

There is no way in this world I can cycle the action on the 1911.

So glad I also have a S&W model 66.

Never contemplated the need for a revolver before. I just had it as a side arm while hunting.

Who needs a revolver?

Me for now.

Rmocarsky

It's pretty hard to beat a 66/19 revolver for just about anything you do with a handgun, except for spray n pray of course.

When was in the Army (and issued cartridge guns) we practiced racking the slide on our .45s by twisting the pistol in the holster and catching the rear sight on the leather stiffener in the holster, and pushing down rapidly and hard to cycle the action.

Frowned upon, but it looked tough.

Bob Wright

There's lots of ways to load and operate an auto loader one handed.
Probably easier than loading a revolver one handed.
Lots of techniques for that too, though.
Where there's a will there's a way.

Nothing against revolvers, but with the rear sight I put on my Glock I can chamber a round one handed on my belt or the corner of any hard surface. I can also change mags one handed by tucking the gun under my armpit.

Revolvers are an excellent choice for home protection guns.
Under stressful situations its simplicity could very well pay a high dividend.
Esp for infrequent shooters. ahhhhh my wife.
No matter how much I try. And I try allot. Getting her to go shoot a gun is like pulling teeth.
The Semi Auto had to be removed from her night stand to be replaced by a 327 magnum revolver.
She just never put in the time with the Semi to become comfortable enough with it.
Every time I would get her out and take the gun.
She would have to look at it 1st and ask a couple of questing before she would/ could shoot it.
Now imagine her having to grab it out of the night stand in an event.

The Revolver solves that problem. When I do get her out. I hand her the gun, point at the target and say " Shoot that" and she does.

Not great, and certainly not what I would prefer. But it is what it is.
It gives her a better chance.

On my side because I have options and some I like better than other and that changes from time to time.
Lately I have been rotating a 1911 cocked and locked or my Model 19.
The Model 19 is a proven butt kicker.

rmocarsky,
Didn't break my arm but got arthritis. Sold my Semi's & bought some 357's & never looked back. Different action and now use speed loaders but can shoot 38's & 357's in different loads. I actually have better control and accuracy.
Stephen Stills wrote "love the one you're with". Always thought that was a stupid song until now.
Hang in there,
Doc

Who needs a revolver?

I need a Colt Python, a Colt SAA, a S&W 27, a S&W 29, a S&W 17, & a Ruger Super Redhawk. Heck, I even need a Korth 357.

.45 acp revolvers

Because the OP is changing from a 1911 to a revolver, and he also has joint issues, might I suggest that a .45 acp revolver might be a good compromise. I am referring to the S&W 25, 325, 625 revolvers. Point 1: they are, in my own experience, excellent examples of the S&W smooth triggers and good balance. Point 2: They load via moon clips. These are easier to manipulate than speed loaders; pop the loaded moon clip in, fire, pop the expended cases still in the moon clip out, pop the next moon clip in. Point 3: If you're going from a 1911 to a revolver, you probably have .45 acp ammunition on hand; why not get a revolver that uses the ammunition that you already have?

OP already had both guns, and is probably already proficient with both. Sounds like a not only a wise choice, but a no brainer, with no re-training required.

I personally switched from SW439 9mm to GP100 in the nightstand for the reasons already mention. When I wake up from a dead sleep at 2am, I don't want to be trying to remember if I left a roudn chamered, and whether or not I had the safety flipped on or off, or much worse, I didn't want my wife to have to figure it out.

Just wondering if this is a temporary health issue, or if OP will eventually be able to go back to his first choice.

OP here.

Hopefully it is temporary.

I return to the Surgeon in a month.

At that time, he will determine whether I require PT.

I do hope I can return to the .45. Aside from being my favorite it also has trijcon sights which the Smith doesn't.

Rmocarsky

There is nothing wrong with revolvers. I hope your problem goes away, but if not, go at it with the revolver. Go ahead and buy a few more. They are great SD guns and fun to shoot. [emoji3]

My bedside 1911 is cocked and locked . Empty chamber means you have a club . Iam not about to bet I will have time to rack slide.

I am not referring to the OP at all, but a related comment...

I always recommend a revolver to new shooters. There is nothing to remember, just point and shoot. This is very important, because many of them will get a handgun, practice a very few times, and never practice again. Also, some will load their handgun, put it in their nightstand drawer, and never touch it for years, or even decades. In those situations, there are no magazine springs to weaken, and one dud round (which could easily happen after many years) will not cause a malfunction that an untrained shooter can't handle.

I have no problem with semi-autos. I own many and like them. But many people buy a handgun with good intentions, get busy, get distracted, get lazy, etc. and end up not practicing or maintaining their weapon or ammo. In those cases (all too frequent), a revolver is a much better choice.

Yep, I broke my wrist and was in a cast for quite a bit. Learned to shoot with one hand. It's not that bad. I might suggest a more user friendly gun - no safeties to mess with. Like a Glock (haha!).

I have 1911 and Glocks and prefer the one hand manipulation of the latter. You might find a 9 easier to shoot than a 45. YMMV - I can shoot either one handed decently.

Back