Who displays their guns in their home?

I used to years ago but then that was back when we could leave our doors unlocked and nobody would ever bother a thing. I collected for 50 years and after retirement, I sold off most of my collection. Now, I do have my CCW handguns and some others but they remain under lock and key. It's a shame but with the way things are today, I personally just feel it's an invitation to have them stolen.

We live in the country near a small town and have for 45 years. Last summer, while my wife was shopping, I was in the basement doing some reloading and the dogs started barking. I came up to find a man and a woman parked right up by our garage door - one at the front door and one at the back door. I went to the door to see what they wanted and they were taken by surprise that anyone was home. Basically, I spooked them and they left. Had I not been three, they would have broken in. lTwo days later, I saw them again.
Their pictures were in the local paper - both were heroin addicts and they had been arrested for a series of break ins and thefts of guns. jewelry and anything else they could fence to support their habit.

I usually CCW if I am out and about. Now, if I'm home alone, I have my handgun on me at all times - even if the wife is around and I'm out working in our yard or in the fields. No .. . . . I'm not paranoid . . . . but I am much more cautious that I used to be. Even in years past when i did have some of my collection on display or either guns or antique military items . . . . I had several of what I considered "close friends" who couldn't keep their mouths shut about what they saw and it got back to me when strangers to me would ask me about my interest in guns, military items. etc.

As the old saying goes . . . "loose lips sinks ships". :rolleyes::eek::)

I display my guns in the safe. That way I know they are still there when I want to look at them...

I build a gun room myself cause I have a lot of guns. Cameras, dogs and alarm systems that i have work quite well for someone trying to enter one's house. Long story. If some one who knows of your guns wants them nothing will stop them. Most thefts are done by acquaintances.

Peggysue, I don't disagree with you but they will have to work at getting mine. My safe is in a locked gun room. Both can be broken into by the most dedicated. Hopefully my alarm company will have the sheriff's department here before they get into my safe. My closest friends are the only ones that know what i have and my small collection pails in comparison to theirs. It also helps to have a police officer live across the street and a deputy 2 houses down.

Not I. Out of sight, out of mind. Visible display of guns is just an easy target for dope heads that are breaking in. Others mentioned that loose lips will talk. A person never knows who is visiting or about any workers doing work at the home. Only thing I want to display is my little deer heads :) and sometime I worry about some meth head stealing those and trying to sell them.

I have always keep my guns locked up and out of sight but was once lucky enough to be able have them in a situation where they could still be viewed. In last house we lived in I was able to have all of my gun collection on racks along the walls of my "gun room/ den/man cave". It was a converted panic room(or maybe bunker? It came with the house when we bought it) built under ground entered through the basement made of poured concrete with a vault door on it. It was nice to have everything out where I could see it and get to it easily. My job unfortunately :mad: caused us too move to another state so now the collection lives in gun safes where I can no longer just turn my head to see them. :(

Do not read if you are paranoid!

You tube has a bunch of videos that will show you just how "secure" your gun safe really is.

Best to keep quiet about your collection. If a pro targets your collection, it will very likely be gone. Safe or no safe. And yes the addicts watch you tube too.

First - I don't have anything with displaying at the moment!

Second - While I don't believe your average thief knows the actual value of a collectible gun, if it can shoot it's worth at least $200 to them.

When people think "black market weapons dealers" they think of people selling RPG's and anti-tank missiles...they think of tv characters. In reality, the black market is everywhere. If your gun is stolen, it was likely sold to someone who legally cannot buy a gun who wants one for a nefarious reason.

If you display guns and someone breaks in to take your television and laptop, they'll likely take the guns they can see too.

I don't plan on becoming a gun collector (goals are a handgun for CC, a shotgun, and an AR platform rifle - personal defense/home defense/homeland defense). Maybe that'll change, maybe I'll want to be able to arm a small army. Or my uncle will leave me his guns when he passes (years and years from now).

Bunkers

SGMS: Was that an older home? Lots of folks built bunkers in the 60's, when we were taught to duck and cover if the nukes was a comin...

OK I'm feelin like an old fart now. At least some of those bunkers have a practical use today.

One of my favorite movies is Dr. Strangelove......was it 88 years we would have to stay underground for the radiation to dissipate?..... Hmm, that might be tough.

Some guns, yes, but not firearms. I have muzzleloaders, a cap 'n ball revolver, British Wilskinson swords, and a couple of handmade boar hunting spears out on display in my office.

Despite an alarm linked to a security company, I have my firearms well secured in some better safes. Heck, even the accessories are in a couple of safes. My dozen Swiss P210 mags would be too hard to replace!

Back in the day you could have a gun cabinet with a glass door but no longer. In todays world everything needs to be hidden and locked up

The "good ol' days" didn't include 24/7 news that included local news at national levels.

Kids still killed themselves and other kids by accident in the "good ol' days" from people not securing their guns.

I don't. Same for anything else in the house of high value. Way to inviting to unwelcomed (and maybe even welcomed) visitors.

Not in MA. If seen you'll be charged with improper storage, lose your license and they will confiscate all your firearms with no recourse.

Yes ricklin, the house was build post WW2, the room was added sometime after the original house and was built (had the original blue prints) and buried under the back yard with a short hall. The door appeared to be newer than that. I loved having a gun display room, wish I could find another like it someday.

Back in the day you could have a gun cabinet with a glass door but no longer. In todays world everything needs to be hidden and locked up

Sometimes it's good to live in the sticks in the mountains where we are about 30 years behind the rest of the country. My long guns are locked in a nice wormy chestnut cabinet with a glass door sitting in my den where only family and special friends go.

No displayed guns, no displayed NRA stickers, no displayed trophies, no displayed anything that alludes to firearms.

Having mounted trophies in your house is a dead giveaway that you have firearms. I know people who keep the shades on their house closed fearing someone walking by will see the trophies and rob the place.:mad:

Back