Which small CCW 9mm (10 or better round capacity)

I am not an overly large person. 6'0. 200 lbs.
My EDC is a S&W 9c.

Carry IWB, and have zero issues with just a t-shirt covering.

If you look like you have a tumor or it is really apparent, the problem is your holster, not the firearm.

Get a better holster. Much cheaper that a new gun

I don't have a Ruger Max 9, but I do have a Security 9 compact that I like quite a bit. I don't carry it much anymore, I've dropped down to a Kimber Micro 380, but the Security 9 is a good one.

OP - I'd prefer at least 10 rounds + a spare mag too.
Glock 26, Shield, Hellcat, Sig 365

Statistics do not factor into my carry.
Regardless of location (wherever/whenever) would I prefer this in hand to defend myself. Simple selection method.
The handgun that is carried in an area of greater "anticipated threat" is carried walking the dog in my nice area; preferred in hand is not reduced based on where I'm standing.
What about threat / risk assessment?:rolleyes: Oh yea, I got that.;) Using one of the pistols you mentioned as the example.:D
I assess that if defending against a threat, regardless of location, I'd prefer at least Glock 26 in hand (+ a spare mag handy).

Actually for me its a Glock 23 but I personalized it for the OP.:)

We live in a great day and age where there are a TON of great gun options.

Honestly IMHO it comes down to personal preference. As long as it a reliable and dependable gun you get to choose the one you like better.

I suggest, if possible. you hit a range, get some rentals, and shoot all the ones you are interested in.

If that is not possible. See if you can at least look at and handle a couple and see how they feel in hand to you.

Bottom line, you got choices, get the gun that you like best. They are all excellent options.

I am in agreement with TunnelRat, and others.

Statistics say that you won't need to use a pistol. But if you do -

Statistics say that you won't be attacked by more than a single person. But if you do -

Statistics say that you won't need to do more than make a pistol visible before watching the attackers run away. But if you do -

Statistics say that you won't need to do more than fire a single round before watching the attackers run away. But if you do -

Statistics say that you won't need to do more than actually wound an attacker with a single shot before watching the attackers run or limp away.

Statistics say that you won't hit an attacker with even half the shots you fire.

--- So if you are actually shooting for the ultimate score (gunfight) you know damn well that the Statistics hate you. Do you want to trust your life to them? ---

Bart Noir
I've always been told that you never draw a weapon unless you intend to use it as soon as it's drawn. Any thoughts?

I am in agreement with TunnelRat, and others.

Statistics say that you won't need to use a pistol. But if you do -

Statistics say that you won't be attacked by more than a single person. But if you do -

Statistics say that you won't need to do more than make a pistol visible before watching the attackers run away. But if you do -

Statistics say that you won't need to do more than fire a single round before watching the attackers run away. But if you do -

Statistics say that you won't need to do more than actually wound an attacker with a single shot before watching the attackers run or limp away.

Statistics say that you won't hit an attacker with even half the shots you fire.

--- So if you are actually shooting for the ultimate score (gunfight) you know damn well that the Statistics hate you. Do you want to trust your life to them? ---

Bart Noir
I live a normal life and YES I do trust to statistics in general. Statistics say that wearing a seat belt can save my life, so I go along with it. Statistics say that using a cell phone and text messaging is dangerous, so I do not. And on and on. Yes, I believe all the statistics I have seen of shooting in my area and also have observed the same in my city of 500.000 , that that statistics are right on. Never once read or heard of anyone needing more than three rounds at the most. Never heard of a shootout where anyone had to change magazines. In fact never ever met anyone in the many decades of firearm ownership that has. Yes, I know of Hunting accidents, I know of a few suicides, and even some self inflicted wounds.
I carry what is practical. Do practical training and Practice. Generally not afraid of lightening but do not go out where there is. If a person feels that he will die because he has only a practical firearm, then that is on them. And he can carry what every he likes. But do not push anti Statistics. If more rounds, or a bigger firearm give you "Peace of Mind" then just say that. No one will disparage you because of that. But telling everyone that statistics are just BS will not not help your point of view.

I've always been told that you never draw a weapon unless you intend to use it as soon as it's drawn. Any thoughts?

Yes, for the most part but also be using your head at all times. One of countless examples that could be posed when the "rule" doesn't or shouldn't apply: A person has a gun pointed at you but, as you are in the process of clearing leather, he throws his gun down and throws his hands up.

I carry a Taurus G2C as does my son. Between us we have fired many thousand rounds through these guns. The majority have been reloads. Never a single problem. 100% reliable. Both have after market SS guide rods and sights. https://lakelinellc.com carries many high quality after market products. These pistols have a unique second strike feature. In 45 years I have carried a number of handguns and this one is my choice. G2C or G3 are excellent bar none, IMHO.

My EDC is a S&W 9c.

Carry IWB, and have zero issues with just a t-shirt covering.

If you look like you have a tumor or it is really apparent, the problem is your holster, not the firearm.

I I have no issue with my compact M&P IWB with a t-shirt cover garment either. In my third sentence I mention my preferred carry is tucked IWB. Before I lost a hundred pounds that size gun worked fine that way. Now anything more than an inch wide seems to look, at least to my eyes, like I have a tumor on my side now that I don't have the cushioning around it. When using a t-shirt cover garment I no longer can conceal my larger guns like my PCR without something more substantial to cover it, but my M&P 40c works fine. I'm looking for something for deeper concealment than that, to fill the role that my M&P 40c was able to fill before the weight loss.

All that said, it would be nice if I could find a way to deep conceal it when wearing clothes where I need to be tucked (I still need to experiment with AIWB). I do know that most people are pretty oblivious and never would notice. I'm not carrying (any gun) while in Maryland, my home state, where it would land me in jail if it was seen. Most of my carry is in Virginia and West Virginia where open carry is legal so it doesn't really matter if it is noticeable except for my own peace of mind. I prefer a larger and more capable gun whenever possible, so I would like to just be comfortable with that visible lump on my side. But, I'm also thinking that trading a couple of my other, lower capacity, deeper concealment pistols on one of the newer 10 plus round 1 inch or less options may be the way to go.

Last edited:
It depends is the answer. When I first picked up a p365 I knew right away it would never work for me. The hellcat fits a bit better, the shield (plus) even better. I can't say much about the ruger, the tear down always makes me think they skimped on it. The new gx4 *might* be an option, time will tell.

On another note I have a taurus g2 mill pro which picked up rust immediately when I tried carrying it, so I'm uneasy with that. Also the slide on my gen2 glock ended up rusting from carry as did the barrel crown. I've only had problems with rust on frame pins and sights on the shield and hks.

Back