Which rifle for NW PA Whitetails?

44-50 would be nice but the only issue I'm seeing with that is being to much scope for such a short, light gun.

I've also considered the VX-R. I've never had reticle illumination on a magnified optic so idk if I would benefit from it or not.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

my vote is for a .260-7mm08-308 in a sps 700 Remington with a 22-24 inch barrel. I bought a rem sps 700 in .260 with a 24" barrel for about 500.00 new. and its a moa rifle with loads it likes and it likes most I have tried with a 3x9 leupold. eastbank.

I have an early X-Bolt hunter in 308 with a walnut stock. Weighs 6lbs 9oz without a scope, probably a pound more all up with scope and sling. Very accurate and a crisp trigger. My favorite rifle and I've taken a bunch of game with it. I recommend the Micro X-Bolt and Tally rings for your purposes.

There are two scopes that I like:

Leupold 3-9x40; this is the largest scope that I care to have.

Weaver steel K-4; it's just a nice rugged and trim scope.

Of course, the scopes that have 50mm objective lenses do gather more light in dark conditions, but it's illegal to hunt deer at night where I'm from. I can live with quality iron sights, so any decent scope is a quantum leap forward in technology. How much more of an advantage must we have?

There are two scopes that I like:

Leupold 3-9x40; this is the largest scope that I care to have.

Weaver steel K-4; it's just a nice rugged and trim scope.

Of course, the scopes that have 50mm objective lenses do gather more light in dark conditions, but it's illegal to hunt deer at night where I'm from. I can live with quality iron sights, so any decent scope is a quantum leap forward in technology. How much more of an advantage must we have?

20" barrel, light weight, quick handling, with good optics describes this rifle to a T.

Howa Alpine 7mm-08 Rem

The Alpine Mountain Rifle features the legendary Howa 1500 lightweight barrel for accuracy and strength. The barrel and action are Cerakoted for ultimate weather and finish protection. The high tech lightweight stock is finished in olive drab, the two stage match trigger is set at 3lbs, the magazine is detachable, and a traditional floor plate is included in the box. Rifles also ship with a Pachmayr decelerator butt pad and Talley 1oz rings and base, from 7000 series alloy. These models ship with a 3-9x 40mm Vortex Viper scope with a BDC reticle. Action : Bolt Caliber : 7mm-08 Remington Barrel Length : 20.0" Capacity : 5+1 Trigger : Two-Stage Weight : 6.7 lbs Stock Description : Synthetic OD Green Receiver Material : Steel Sights : Scope Barrel Length Range : 20.00" to 21.99" Weight Range : 6.00 lbs to 6.99 lbs

But the rifle that Chris said was perfect is more like this one: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/731872257
Yes very similar yet the differences were obvious when I handled one, enough to make me look at other rifles.

The M70 Classic Compact I have is the perfect "mountain" hunting rifle, to me anyways. Consistent groups of .94, use to group a bit better but after time they opened up some. I've actually never wounded or had to track a deer, yes I've completely missed deer when I was younger and taking shots I shouldn't have but now I don't pull the trigger unless I know it's going to drop. Those Remington Core-Lokt 100gr do some damage and leave a heck of an exit wound, was impressed for a .243.

I don't disagree on the M70 FWT compact is similar to the one he's giving up, but he stated the difference was noticeable and it didn't interest him. I know nothing of the other rifles he was interested in, but I know a little about Howa rifles and Mark Bansner's High Tech stocks. I used to own a Smith & Wesson 1500 rifle in .243 Win, aka Howa 1500 and it was a very accurate rifle shooting most loads MOA or less if I did my job. I currently have a High Tech rifle stock on a custom .250 Savage, and can tell you it's of much better quality than most factory synthetic stocks.

I've handled the Alpine several times and it is a pretty sweet rifle, but I have a soft spot for the .270 and the Alpine is only offered in short action cartridges. I'll probably wind up with a Kimber Montana 84L before to long in .270, unless I can find a M70 Classic FWT in stainless anytime soon. However, the OP wants a 7-08 and the Alpine fits the bill.

As far as optics go, I like the 2.5-8X36 VX3 over the 1.75-6X32 VX3 as I have a few of both scopes. However, I have a few of the Vortex Vipers ranging from 2-7X32, 3-9X40 to 6.5-20X50 and they are very good optics if a bit on the heavy side at times. The Howa Alpine with Vortex scope package covers nearly all the OP's wants at a savings of a few hundred dollars from his max budget. The only thing missing is the 12.5" LOP, but that can be fixed easily.

I don't disagree on the M70 FWT compact is similar to the one he's giving up, but he stated the difference was noticeable and it didn't interest him. I know nothing of the other rifles he was interested in, but I know a little about Howa rifles and Mark Bansner's High Tech stocks. I used to own a Smith & Wesson 1500 rifle in .243 Win, aka Howa 1500 and it was a very accurate rifle shooting most loads MOA or less if I did my job. I currently have a High Tech rifle stock on a custom .250 Savage, and can tell you it's of much better quality than most factory synthetic stocks.

I've handled the Alpine several times and it is a pretty sweet rifle, but I have a soft spot for the .270 and the Alpine is only offered in short action cartridges. I'll probably wind up with a Kimber Montana 84L before to long in .270, unless I can find a M70 Classic FWT in stainless anytime soon. However, the OP wants a 7-08 and the Alpine fits the bill.

As far as optics go, I like the 2.5-8X36 VX3 over the 1.75-6X32 VX3 as I have a few of both scopes. However, I have a few of the Vortex Vipers ranging from 2-7X32, 3-9X40 to 6.5-20X50 and they are very good optics if a bit on the heavy side at times. The Howa Alpine with Vortex scope package covers nearly all the OP's wants at a savings of a few hundred dollars from his max budget. The only thing missing is the 12.5" LOP, but that can be fixed easily.
My max budget is about $2000, scope and rifle. The Alpine package is well below that budget. The LOP on the Alpine is 13.87" and the Classic Compact .243 has a 13'"LOP, will the .87" be that noticeable? The Sako Finnlight LOP is 14", I didn't think it would be an issue so I didn't take it into consideration as much as I maybe should have. I wish I could find a shop that has all the rifles I'm considering in stock for me to handle.

On a savage forum there was a long-time PA hunter who claimed he regularly tagged deer in PA--shooting long distances across mountain ridges with 260 rem all the way out to 1000 yds in one case.

Chris, one thing that just occurred to me concerns your comments about length-of-pull and that even though you are 6 feet tall, you are used to a short stock. Since your current rifle is a low-recoiling 243, you have been able to get away with it, and even accustom yourself to it. Stepping up to a 7mm-08, you could find that a longer LOP is a lot more appropriate. Since the 7mm-08 comes close to the 270 Winchester in performance, it will also have substantially more recoil than a 243. In a light rifle, it will kick more than my full-sized 270. Depending on how you hold the stock, you could find the rifle has a tendency to smack your thumb into your nose at every shot. I'm also 6 feet tall, and for this very reason, I much prefer a longer LOP than what you have been accustomed to. Perhaps, if you can try out shooting other calibers in some friends rifles it could help with your selection.
Good luck, and Happy Holidays.

Chris, one thing that just occurred to me concerns your comments about length-of-pull and that even though you are 6 feet tall, you are used to a short stock. Since your current rifle is a low-recoiling 243, you have been able to get away with it, and even accustom yourself to it. Stepping up to a 7mm-08, you could find that a longer LOP is a lot more appropriate. Since the 7mm-08 comes close to the 270 Winchester in performance, it will also have substantially more recoil than a 243. In a light rifle, it will kick more than my full-sized 270. Depending on how you hold the stock, you could find the rifle has a tendency to smack your thumb into your nose at every shot. I'm also 6 feet tall, and for this very reason, I much prefer a longer LOP than what you have been accustomed to. Perhaps, if you can try out shooting other calibers in some friends rifles it could help with your selection.
Good luck, and Happy Holidays.
I do have other rifles that are "full size" that get plenty of range time that have longer length of pull, I have also killed deer with some of these rifles but not in a few years. I'm not recoil sensitive, my largest caliber is a .300 mag. The only reason I don't hunt with these rifles is bc of what I carry and the distance/terrain I travel. But I have never used a short LOP rifle in a larger caliber so I understand your concerns.

I've been kicking around the idea of buying a Ruger American or Howa 1500 (or something similar) in 7mm-08 and chopping down the barrel to 20" and putting a laminate stock on it.

Sounds like this might work for you too.

Would be a compact, handy, and deadly gun that I wouldn't mind using in bad weather and such. A useful tool for around $700 all said and done.

I ended up having the local shop order me a Sako 85 Finnlight in 7mm-08, I'll have to wait a little bit for it but not to long. I maybe should of waited a little longer bc 2 days after I paid and had them order it I get a response to my wanted ad looking for a M70 Classic Compact 7mm-08, of course that would happen so I'm going to be purchasing that as well. So much for staying within my budget lol but it is worth it since the Classic Compacts are hard to find. Person who has the M70 CC says it looks unfired and has no marks at all on it and comes with a VX-2 so I couldn't turn it down, I'm not sure if I'll hunt with it.

Why the heck not?

I don't own any safe queens.
Being I have the Sako in the same caliber already on order I'll most likely use that until it is shot out, depends on the Sako performance. Plus the Stainless Steel and synthetic has the protection against the weather we get here in PA, though I've never seen one issue with the bluing or wood on the .243 M70 CC. The M70 Classic Compact 7mm-08 will defiantly be shot though.

Back