Which rifle for NW PA Whitetails?

chris16371

I believe I have the perfect deer rifle (for me), a Winchester Model 70 SA Classic Compact in .243. So why am I looking for another whitetail rifle? My grandfather bought me this rifle along with a fixed power Leupold M8 when I was 12, the one promise I had to make was when I have a child and they are old enough to hunt I pass it down. Well the 2018 season will be the year so I'm going to pass it on soon so he can have plenty of practice before the season comes in. This leaves me needing a new rifle. I have other rifles but they are full sized and how I hunt makes them a chore to carry so I'm looking for another compact. Ideally another M70 Classic Compact in 7mm-08 would be my first pick but unfortunately this New Haven Winchester is really hard to find. I've handled a Featherweight Compact and the differences were noticeable and I didn't like the differences.

I thought I had it narrowed down to Browning X Bolt Micro Midas or Sako A7 Stainless. I wanted to keep the rifle price at around $850 not including scope. Well I decided I don't really like the A7 stock. I prefer wood stocks but I came across the Sako 85 Finnlight and I really like the synthetic stock on it, I still prefer wood but I would be 100% happy with a quality stock that's on the Finnlight. So now my budget for just the rifle went up to around $1400.00 lol.

So which would you pick? Browning X Bolt Micro Midas 20" blued, wood stock or the Sako 85 Finnlight 20" Stainless Fluted, Synthetic? If neither and want to make a suggestion please keep it around $1400 or less and meet this criteria:
-7mm-08
-20" Barrel
-wood, laminate, or high quality synthetic

A reason for the decision would be a bonus!

Scope budget is around $500 and I have the glass picked out but not the rings and bases. Hopefully everyone is in agreement with my choice. Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8x36mm or the 1.75-6x32mm.

Appreciate it, thanks!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

One more option...?

I thought I'd throw in one more option to ponder, because I friend has one in 7mm-08 that I handled just the other day, and it may be my next rifle. It also sounds a lot like what you're looking for!

Kimber 84 Hunter in 7mm-08.

That said, I like your tradition and I applaud your willingness to let go and pass on such a nice rifle!

I would add a Rem Model 7 to your list. Several people on this forum have complained about the quality and trigger, but I've owned 700s since the 70s and I've never had an issue. I still own 4 and they've been excellent. I typically install Timney's anyway. I would also include the Nikon Pro Staff 5 - great scopes for the money.

"...why am I looking for..." "I want one." is a reason. That Browning X Bolt Micro Midas is a youth model. LOP is 12.5". That going to fit you?
The M70 Classic Compact is discontinued. MSRP on it's replacement, the Featherweight Compact or the Featherweight is $1,009.99.
The Sako 85 Finnlight is out of your budget range. Runs $1,599.99 at Cabela's.
Look into Savage rifles. Their package deals come with better scopes now. Weaver's, Nikon's and Bushnell's.
Anyway, which rifle really doesn't make a lot of difference. Commercial hunting rifles are all pretty much the same. Do not discount buying a used rifle. Takes a lot of abuse to damage one and right now, assuming deer season in PA is over, you'll probable be able to find a higher end rifle than your budget allows or exactly what you want in your local gun shop(s).

Just get a Winchester model 70 Featherweight. If you can get it in your preferred caliber, fine. If not, get it in 270 Winchester, which will do anything the 7mm08 will do and a bit more. What's the difference between a short action and a long action? Less than an inch, maybe? Big deal...... The availability of a 270 in the Winchester model 70 is second only to the 30-'06. From pre-war to current production, there are many that would be perfect.

"...why am I looking for..." "I want one." is a reason. That Browning X Bolt Micro Midas is a youth model. LOP is 12.5". That going to fit you?
The M70 Classic Compact is discontinued. MSRP on it's replacement, the Featherweight Compact or the Featherweight is $1,009.99.
The Sako 85 Finnlight is out of your budget range. Runs $1,599.99 at Cabela's.
Look into Savage rifles. Their package deals come with better scopes now. Weaver's, Nikon's and Bushnell's.
Anyway, which rifle really doesn't make a lot of difference. Commercial hunting rifles are all pretty much the same. Do not discount buying a used rifle. Takes a lot of abuse to damage one and right now, assuming deer season in PA is over, you'll probable be able to find a higher end rifle than your budget allows or exactly what you want in your local gun shop(s).

My local dealer said he can order and sell me a finnlite for $1399.99. The $1400 limit is give or take. The LOP on the Winchester Classic Compact I've used since I was 12 is 13", I'm 6'0" but a shorter rifle just feels right to me. Plus with the climber etc and the distance and terrain I have to walk through makes a shorter, lighter rifle ideal.

Those 2 rifles just appealed to me, but like I said I'm open to suggestions.

Thank you for advise and replying

new rifle

Check out the Remington Model 700 Mountain Rifle SS which comes in 7mm-08 as well as several other deer calibers.

I believe Bud's Gun Shop is selling them around $800.

Good luck.

I own a Browning xbolt eclipse in 7-08 and it sure is a excellent shooter, nice to carry in the woods also, it is just a tad bit heavier than my model 7 that is also a 7-08. I have a hard time deciding which to carry. I will say that off the bench the Browning shoots tighter groups.

I would recommend a Tikka T3 lite with a synthetic stock and stainless steel or blued with wood stock whatever your choice. This rifles comes in at 6 lbs and a few ounces depending on barrel length and caliber. Adjustable trigger 2 to 4 pounds. Just convinced my brother to buy one in 7mm-08, my tikka shoots sub Moa at 200 yards...30-06.

Plus with the climber etc and the distance and terrain I have to walk through makes a shorter, lighter rifle ideal.

If synthetic stock is an option take a look at the Howa Alpine in 7mm-08. I think it might come with both floorplate and DBM triggerguards, if not search for the one with the floorplate. MSRP will he around $1100 l, but you should find one for less.

I feel your pain with the climber and going further away from the truck. I'm currently going about 2 miles one way.
Had a party of 10 come through doing a drive during muzzle loader.

Count me as another vote for the Kimber Hunter.
While i really enjoy and shoot my 7mm-08 quite a bit, i think my flavor may be the 257 Roberts.

I've hunted within Pennsylvania hills and central mountains and found that I like a short carbine best of all. I suggest a walnut stocked TIKKA in .308, then pay a local smith to cut and re-crown the barrel to 19 inches.

Majority of my hunts in Pennsylvania have been accomplished with my Glenfield 30-30 carbine which has an 18 inch barrel. But I'm a big fan of traditional lever guns.

Jack

Thats a pretty high budget for just a hunting rifle. I reccomend the bergara b-14 hunter. Its considered an improved remington 700. Though i think it has a 22" barrel but that shouldnt be an issue. It has a very high quality and attractive synthetic stock, bergara is actually a barrel manufacturer so you can expect the rifle to be extremely accurate and refined. Get one with a detachable box magazine and youll have enough money to buy a NICE scope to put ontop of it. 7mm-08 is an excelleny choice, i live in South western pa and i hunt with .270, 7mm-08, and .30-06, and .35 rem

Thats a pretty high budget for just a hunting rifle. I reccomend the bergara b-14 hunter. Its considered an improved remington 700. Though i think it has a 22" barrel but that shouldnt be an issue. It has a very high quality and attractive synthetic stock, bergara is actually a barrel manufacturer so you can expect the rifle to be extremely accurate and refined. Get one with a detachable box magazine and youll have enough money to buy a NICE scope to put ontop of it. 7mm-08 is an excelleny choice, i live in South western pa and i hunt with .270, 7mm-08, and .30-06, and .35 rem
The main reason my budget is so high is bc I actually shoot my guns a lot and I like to enjoy the look and quality of my guns as much as I like shooting them. Probably sounds stupid but that's how I am. I have rifles, handguns, ARs, SBRs in my safe that cost me $200 up to $2200. I live literally right next to a shooting range that's gives me out to 800 yards, yes I even shoot my little 20" barrels that far. None of my guns just sit in the safe, some get more range time then others but I shoot with them all and I really enjoy it. I guess they are more than just a tool to me.

I really appreciate everyone's reply, I have took into consideration everything that's has been said but I still haven't made a decision.

Is everyone in agreement with my scope decision for my rifle criteria? VX-3i 2.5-8x36 or 1.75-6x32? If not what glass would you buy for the rifle I'm looking for? Scope budget $300-$500 +/-

Im the same way, i cherish my guns. Theyre like old friends. If youre into the more beautiful guns a win m70 featherweight is another excellent choice. I think they reail around 800-900$. Those are excellent scopes. Burris also makes excellent scopes in that price range, theyve never let me down.

As far as your scope is concerned I agree with the brand you have picked, personally I prefer a larger objective for seeing in dim light. 44 to 50 mm for me.

Back