Which New/Used .22LR Rifle??

The Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 is a fun little .22. Quite accurate, well made, functions very good.

I'm also a big fan of the little Browning take down semi auto. They are very well made guns and lots of fun to shoot.

Quote: "Go with a 10-22 if you're on a budget. If there's a bit more in the pocketbook, get a CZ."

Pretty good advise. In any case, for shooting critters around the house, I like a rifle with a stick magazine because I can pop it in when there's a critter that needs killing, then remove/refill it. A tubular magazine is a pain in the neck and a danger, if you don't fully unload it.

The two rimfire rifles that get the most use here are a CZ 455, .17 HMR and a bolt-action, Remington 504, .22LR that is used to dispatch critters around the house in the nighttime.

The heavy-barreled 10-22 isn't used as much, but quite lethal and quick to load/unload.

JP

Hope you like the Henry!

My dad has one and likes it. I am a Marlin 39A fan myself, but have never fired a Henry .22.

I hear great things about them, and think it was a solid choice.

Now- you have a semi and a lever action, time to think of a Henry Pump and a bolt action also?

That mostly all I do is go plinking with a 22 Rifle. My favorites are my Browning SA22, Winchester 9422, Winchester 69A and my trusty Rossi 62.. I prefer these because they are capable of shooting the CCI Quite round.

My Savage MarkII is a winner. Good rifle with excellent accuracy. Likewise, my CZ 452. I'd suggest anybody hunting for a 22 rifle check these two out. We use ours weekly for informal matches shooting thumb tacks at fifty yards.

I own a CZ 455 (gave it to my youngest daughter for 4H Shooting Sports competition and she kicked but for 3 consecutive years), very accurate rifle with a Weaver rimfire scope.

I own a Ruger 10/22, one of 200 made, it is the Canadian Centennial edition. Very nice walnut stock and very accurate. My wife loves it.

I own a Stevens Favorite single shot with the octagonal barrel. Just over 4 pounds. The stock is not well fit with some wobble in the forestock. It's not drilled and tapped for a scope, just iron sights that are black on black and very difficult to see. Blueing was not that great when new and is definitely showing some age. Trigger is a bit on the heavy side and is not adjustable. Still, it is a very accurate gun and a lot of fun to shoot. Only having one shot makes one concentrate that much more on accurate shot placement. I'm considering making this one into a 22 WMR and getting a different stock and sights.

Next 22 lr will likely be a model 30A or Henry lever gun.

The Henry H001 is a nice choice. I got the same thing for my first non-autoloading .22 (next was a CZ bolt action). I saw a few recommendations for the Marlin 39a. I've never used a 39a, but I own an older Marlin 1894 in .357, and--someone correct me if I'm wrong--I believe the 39a is more or less a .22 version of the same gun. If so, I imagine a 39a would be a nice gun, but for a plinking, I don't think it's worth paying 2 or 3 times as much as you did for your Henry, and I doubt it would be any more accurate or functional.

The Henry is a good gun as is, but I put one of these sights on and it worked a bit better for me than the factory rear sight.

I also tried a receiver peep sight on the Henry, but that required a higher front sight as well, and it didn't improve my shooting any compared to the barrel mounted peep sight.

Last edited:
I've bought the following used .22 LR rifles:

Winchester 52C, heavy-barreled target rifle;
Winchester Model 60 bolt-action;
Anschutz 54 target rifle with BR Stock;
Remington 40XB target rifle with BR stock;
Ruger 10-22 Deluxe
Rem 540x HB

JP

Currently own a 1985 Marlin 60. Looking for a second 22 rifle (plinking, range, squirrels, etc). Love the current Marlin and thinking of a new Marlin 60SB (stainless barrel). Primarily because I love the look and know what I’m getting.

However, not sure if I should pop for a known commodity or try some other brand/model. Does it seem rather odd to have two of nearly the same thing??

If not another Marlin, what to buy??

If nobody popped for some other brand/model, we'd all be shooting 1903 Springfield's in 30-06! My favorite 22 semi auto is the Marlin mod 60 hands down. But I have no use for a stainless rifle in any caliber! Really really ugly! Maybe a can of high temp black paint would help it!

Winchester 52C, heavy-barreled target rifle;
Winchester Model 60 bolt-action;
Anschutz 54 target rifle with BR Stock;
Remington 40XB target rifle with BR stock;
Ruger 10-22 Deluxe
Rem 540x HB

Picher, it seems you like REALLY accurate .22's.

I'm a fan of all things Ruger but in that group I suspect the 10/22 comes in a distant last place. I sure wouldn't mind being proven wrong in this case though. What's been your experience with these?

P.S. I've mentioned this before but when I started shooting there was a Ford/Chevy like debate going on between the Winchester 52 and the Anschutz 54. Winchester seem to reign at Camp Perry and Anschutz at the Olympics.

I've developed some great mods to standard Ruger 10-22s that turn them into really great shooting rifles. I prefer the Deluxe stock without a barrel band.

Mods include trigger improvements, bolt-face alteration to minimize headspace, extractor mods, firing pin nose reshaping; cocking piece honing to minimize firing pin binding to eliminate first-shot flyers; bedding improvements, trigger stop installation.

Although the rifles shoot pretty well as they come from the factory, improvements make them nicer to shoot and more accurate. A replacement barrel is often recommended to add forward weight and more accuracy, should the factory barrel not allow close to 1 MOA accuracy at 50 yards, after other mods are done.

My B.I.L. had such a rifle. I did everything I could to make it a tack-driver, but it had a crappy factory barrel. After replacing it with an after-market one, it shot MOA! I should have bought that rifle instead of selling it for him when he was getting out of shooting.

BTW: I believe that my accurizing tips are still available on a RimfireCentral.com, despite being about 10 years old.

I was heavily into Rimfire Benchrest for several years, including initiating and running the program at Capitol City R&P in Augusta, ME for several years.

Like other shooting venues I've been into, it was time to get out. I enjoyed buying used target rifles and making them shoot to their best. Finally, I bought the 40X built by Butch Hongisto and it won several matches. One day I shot two perfect scores and dropped only one point on the third (last)target and figured that was about the best I could do and was tired of the arguments and pettiness of some shooters. Fun was gone.

Now, I still like working on guns to improve their accuracy/function, but don't do it for profit.

BTW: My 10-22 has shot 10 consecutive 5-shot groups on a "Prove-It" target that averaged less than a half-inch at 50 yards. I can't seem to find the picture of that target and the website is down. If I find it, I'll post it.

Back