Which New/Used .22LR Rifle??

Might be hard to beat Savage Mark 2 for inexpensive/extremely accurate. Maybe not the high style of others, but bought a used short heavy barrel version. One of my better purchases.

My favorite is the Marlin Model 336A. I have two of them, one I bought in 1981 and shot it nearly every day. Lots of grouse, rabbits and empty cans with that one. The other I bought because the mfg. date was in the same year as my birthday. Even my son has one. I highly recommend it.

Dean

Firstly, stay away from any Marlin made after the year 2000. Total junk.

There's nothing wrong with owning multiple .22's, I have 7 different .22's, shoot them often enough and planning to get the new Kel-Tec CP33 as soon as the prices come down from the price gougers from $600 to ~$400.

Gotta love all those FFL's who beg us for their business and try to build a customer base to only gouge us when a hot new gun comes out or there's another panic.

Nothing wrong with a Marlin Model 60 made back in the days when they were well made. I'd love one, but if I'm gonna have a tube fed .22 rifle, it's going to be a Henry.

If you live in a state where supressors are legal to own and intend to buy one in the future, look at a bolt action with a threaded barrle. If not, I'd look at either a Henry or a detachable mag semi auto, either the 10/22 or a .22 LR chambered AR-15.

A year ago I would have said 10/22 hands down, but I've had issues with the 25 round magazines. The AR 25 rd mags, while way oversize, I don't hear of issues with them.

Cool thing about either a 10/22 or an AR .22 is you can get the pistol models and put a brace on it and have a shoulderable pistol without any paperwork or $200 tax.

My search for a nice .22 came to an end with me finding a Remington 541T HB.

If you search long enough Hopefully you'll be as lucky.:cool:

I recommend an extension of your horizons.

Get a .22lr in Pump, Lever and Bolt, to go with your Semi-Auto.:D

IF that is not an option, I recommend looking for a 1950s-60s Marlin Model 39A. Lever action, holds 19 rounds LR and I've found them very accurate.

Bolt is nice, and there are a lot of fun option out there. Mossberg used to make some really good .22lr rifles- most in bolt, I believe.

If old isn't an issue [remember- parts availability and repairs may be touchy], then look for a store brand cross reference list, and open you mind/eyes to 'store' brands.

I have a neat old Sears [JC Higgins is sears brand, as is Ted Williams] .22lr from around 1962, that was made by High Standard.

I have a neat old WesternField rifle, made by Mossberg. Both are tube fed .22lrs.

Of the new stuff, the 10/22 is easy to find parts for, and you can change it completely- making it into anything you want. It is a transformer of rifles.

Here are my recommendation:
Lever- Marlin 39A
Pump- Remington 572
Bolt- Marlin 781/881, or older Mossberg for fun factor.

Store brands

The old department store brands are hiding some great bargains.
The finest rifle I own is a Dept. store mutt. JC Higgins is .270, actually a Belgian mauser, I got one with great wood too.

I believe it's been discontinued, but the Walther G22 is a fun .22. The bullpup design makes it compact, yet it does sport a 20" barrel. Mine is very accurate.

Another one I really enjoy in the carbine department is the Ruger 10/22 with a Mannlicher stock. Ruger did a distributor run of these and they are still showing up on gunbroker. Very nice wood.

I had always wanted one of the Ruger 77/ss rifles and several years back found one. Mine was made in 1986 IIRC and came with the factory open sights. Those were hard to find compared to the slick barrel models.

I had read on the internet that they were not super accurate but were good enough for firld use. That would work for me. The one I bought came with a cheap Bushnell 4X straight tube scope. It looked good so I left it on the rifle.

I took it to the range and with cheap bulk box Federal ammo from Walmart it will shoot 10 shot groups in just over half an inch at 50 yards. And do it group after group. So much for all the great information on the internet.:rolleyes:

Now its the only 22 rifle I shoot. And one of my best deals I ever got off GB. It cost me a total with shipping and transfer $400.05.

A very close second is the Marlin 39A I bought from a pawn shop with a Williams peep on it for $225 OTD. Its accuracy is amazing. It probably is as accurate as the Ruger but I haven't shot it for groups as much as I have the Ruger bolt action. Its a hunting gun for me. Its has killed a buch of squirrels, rats and Blue Jays. Plus one deer.:D

Last edited:
I looked on gunbroker and there are 227 pages of bolt action rifles, 221 pages of semi-auto 22 rifles, 17 pages of pump action 22s and 42 pages of lever action 22 rifles. You should be able to find something that excites you will all those options.

And the store branded rifles can be some of the best deals around.

I appreciate this thread as it helps me keep an eye out so I’ll know when someone is letting “that old beat up rifle” go for a song.

When buying expensive stuff, paying for shipping and ffl transfer are fine, but for a $125 rifle.. suddenly it’s a $200 rifle and may as well get a 10/22 at Wally World.

I have my eyes open for an old Marlin bolt action with peep sights that someone wants to sell cheap because “ya can’t put a scope on it or a 25 round clip and all it does is shoot once.”

Everyone is on to lever actions and pumps.

Maybe an old Norinco clone... people are still not sure about those, either.

I say get yourself a nice basic Henry model H001 classic rifle. The action is slick and the rifle is accurate. Made in the USA with superb customer service. You are already used to the tube feeeding system from your Model 60, so it should be an easy transition. For plinking nothing beats a semi-auto/lever action combo in my mind. Bolts are great, but to me that is more for precision shooting.

Decision Made

Have a Henry H001 on the way to Cabela’s for store pickup. Will pick up on the 11th when I have to be in that area for my car recall. In Alaska until the 9th.
Anxious to get it in hand

Thanks for all of the helps.

What's your budget?
The Ruger 10-22, BNIB MSRP, starts at $309US. Lotta aftermarket stuff around for 'em though. About $100 less on the auction sites for a used one. (You really need to watch who the seller is on those sites. Some of the dealers think they have a 401K retirement fund rifle.)

Sorry, I got my 10/22 a few months ago for $199 us at Dick’s.
Add a BX trigger for $52
Add a $32 fixed power 4x scope
Add $9.00 rings
Install $11.00 bedding pillar and free float the barrel...

So yeah, $309 gets you nib 10/22 carbine, scoped, with Trigger upgrade (very nice for $52 but not needed unless shooting at the range.)

Back