Which New/Used .22LR Rifle??

frjeff

Currently own a 1985 Marlin 60. Looking for a second 22 rifle (plinking, range, squirrels, etc). Love the current Marlin and thinking of a new Marlin 60SB (stainless barrel). Primarily because I love the look and know what I’m getting.

However, not sure if I should pop for a known commodity or try some other brand/model. Does it seem rather odd to have two of nearly the same thing??

If not another Marlin, what to buy??

Some people eat the same things every day of their life. I think it's boring. Get something different and see what's out there. Variety is the spice of life...they say. I agree.

I enjoy old .22 rim fired rifles the most. In other words, none of the current new guns that I can afford impress me at all. Corporate lawyers, user foolishness, or even political correctness have dumbed down good designs.

Semi auto has best values. The prime in my humble small collection is a Mossberg 151mb with peep sight. Mind boggling accuracy.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

The only two .22 rifles I own are Browning semi-autos. One is a Grade I and the other is a Grade VI.

Yep, they are two of the same with one just being a little more fancy than the other.

I'm not sure what kind of joy would be found in buying what you have already. The stainless finish won't make it shoot any different than the one you have, so you would be making the purchase just to look at it. Do you plan to enjoy it by hanging it on the wall, or by shooting it?

If your purchase is to enjoy the act of shooting, I recommend buying something that adds to your shooting experience. If you like plinking, maybe get a Henry lever action or pump action. If you would like to test and improve your accuracy, maybe a bolt action like a CZ455, Savage heavy barrel or Ruger American?

You will then have rimfire rifles that give you fun doing slightly different things.

Let us know what you settle on!

What About the Ruger 10-22??

This one has some curiosity on my part.
If I opted to get this, would the 18.5” carbine or the full 20” rifle be best?

There's nothing wrong with the Marlin 60, by any means. But if I were looking for a 2nd .22 rifle, I probably wouldn't start doubling up until I had 2-3 different models. The 10/22 is another solid choice. I've had the carbine model for about 40 years and it's one of my all-time favorite guns. It's great for basic "farm plinking." If you're going to do serious target or longer-range shooting, then maybe a longer barrel is in order. Otherwise, I'd just get the carbine.

I love 22 lr rifles and I like variety but I'm cheap. I've had my Marlin 60 for nearly 20 years but I have added others that have been very reliable and accurate without breaking the bank. I have a Henry lever action that I plan on giving to my grandson as a reward for becoming an Eagle Scout later this year. I have a Mossberg Blaze 47 with wood furniture that looks very much like an AK47. I have a Rossi RS22 that I bought recently because it was $119 and I bought a 25 round magazine for the Mossberg 702 Plinkster for it (same rifle with a different stock) and it weighs very little. I also have a Marlin 25MN bolt action but it is a 22WMR only.

So many options !!!

However, not sure if I should pop for a known commodity or try some other brand/model. Does it seem rather odd to have two of nearly the same thing??
Not really as I have a number of the a same design but not identical. …. :)

This one has some curiosity on my part.
If I opted to get this, would the 18.5” carbine or the full 20” rifle be best?
Reviewing your initial service, I'd go with the 18.5". The 10/22 is one of my favorites as I like tinkering and this one allows me to tinker all I want. .. :)

Be Safe !!!

frjeff said:

If not another Marlin, what to buy??

Stretch your horizons and try one of the finest .22's ever built, a Winchester model 52. Anytime a .22 bolt arrives in the market place they are compared to the model 52. Why?.....because it is widely regarded as perfection in its design. After you've handled, cycled, and shot one...everything else is a disappointment. If you only plan to own two rim fire rifles, one should be a Model 52.

I'd be looking for something different, just to have something different.
But, I also have an extremely low opinion of Marlin Model 60s made in the last 25 years. They ain't what they used to be. I definitely wouldn't be buying a new Model 60.

Go browse the racks. Handle everything. Cycle everything. Look at the magazines. See what you like and what you don't.
Go from there.

I'll add that I have a Ruger American Rimfire that I enjoy very much, in case the OP is open to the idea of a bolt action .22. I love my 10/22, but I can't deny that there's something satisfying about methodically killing fruit with a bolt gun. The fact that it shares magazines with my 10/22 is a bonus, too.

I have a large number of rimfires, vintage and new, and if I were asked my favorite, for plinking either a Browning BL22 or the Henry lever (plain Jane model), for out of the box accuracy at a great price, a CZ bolt with the Ruger American a very close second. For just plain fun, hands down a 10/22.

Bolt Action

Not at all against trying a bolt action. I don’t hunt, other than squirrels and chipmunks in the back yard, so speed is not a big issue.

Service/versatility

frjeff
Looking at the replies, I have to add that it is a tough call as there are just too many great choices. I even like the older Mossberg's. As someone replied, there is nothing wrong with the 60 but you already have one. I'd look closer at the service and versatility. :)

Awhile back, I bought a CZ-452-Lux, with the European Stock. Got it all set up to a point of shooting aspirins at 30yds. Great rifle all around. Then I took it squirrel hunting, only to realized that the barrel length was not handy, in my jungle. Went back to my 10/22, even though the CZ, outshoots, it. …. :confused:

Be Safe !!!

I had a savage mark 2 that I thought the world of. I traded it to a buddy. Now he thinks the world of it.

I have a Winchester 69 that I love: really light and lights out accurate.

Back