Which Hunting Rifle - .270, .300, .308 or 30/06?

I would be reluctant to say better but agree it's on average a good round and would keep pace with a lot of them.
I do base my preference on the ability to shoot heavy bullets if needed. The largest bullet you can buy in factory ammunition is 150 gr. I won't swear there isn't someone out there making 160 gr, but I don't recall them. If you hand load you can get some spendy boutique bullets in up to 180 gr, Barnes comes to mind. I know Berger makes some target 170's but not hunting type.

This isn't just an issue with the .270, the heaviest bullet I could find for the 7mm Mag was 175 gr. but I could drive that at 2900-3000+ fps, you won't do that with a .270. There is a wild bison hunt up here that requires you use a minimum 200 gr bullet if you draw a tag. I did a few years ago and couldn't use the 7mm because of that rule.
If all you are going to do is hunt in Grizzly free deer range, I'm more than ok with the .270. In Alaska, no guide would let you hunt with that for bears and wouldn't encourage it for moose. The latter mainly because one often runs into the other while out in the woods.
Jack O Conner was the .270's biggest champion, he used if for just about everything, writers tend to have their cal/s. Mostly he was into sheep, deer and occasionally elk. He did go to Africa, what he shot there with it I don't know, but the average person wouldn't and especially today.

As far as accuracy, it's a hunting round and meets that requirement. As an accurate target round, it's hard to say as no one ever really developed a target bullet for it that I know of.

I have nothing against the round, it's just a little narrower in scope than what I would want.

One of the things I like about the old '06 is the "fun load" play. An 00 Buck ahead of five grains of pistol powder makes a neat squirrel load.

OTOH, if you swage an 80-grain .32-20 flat-nose to .308 and load it ahead of 50+ grains of 3031, the muzzle velocity is right at 4,000 ft/sec. What that does to a poor innocent jackrabbit is not appropriate for a family video.

If I was about 40 years younger and had the money I would opt for a custom left-hand bolt action rifle chambered for a .280AI. I have a .270 and 7mm Rem. Mag so I realize I'm being a little "picky". ;)

Me, I would go with an 06.

Remington now has one in a heavy barrel through Cabellas, that would be the only market choice.

I can make a Savage like that if I want.

As for Jack O Connor, I think what he did was got a burr in his butt and decided to prove you could take anything with a 270.

He was right, you could. Some African hunter found you cold slip a bullet in behind an elephant ear and shot a lot (before they put the caliber Kibosh on him) and he used something like a 6.5 mm or some such.

Jacks load was also pretty hot. I don't know how good a shot he was, but he shot a lot of game with other guns too, he was not exclusive to the 270.

Reality is, if not for him it would probably be gone. Nothing wrong with it, but it that constant a bit to light for the big stuff and a bit too big for the smaller stuff.

30-30 is the same way but there are a god awful lot of deer on the East cost in trees and brush that makes it a go to.

Me, I think there are really 3 calibers out there. 375 in your choice these days (H&H back in my younger days) 30-06, 6mm or 6.5. Covers it all.

Nothing wrong with a 30-30, in brush it does what a 6.5 does. It does not do it out to the distance a 6.5 does well.

I've had guides and outfitters, including those I've hunted with, tell me they have more confidence in hunters who show up with a .270 for elk hunting. I've used a .300 Win Mag on my three elk hunts and took two 5 x 5 bulls, one is on the wall. If I ever get another chance I'm taking my .270. A .270, .308 or .30-06 are all fine for elk and any smaller trophy animal in the lower 48.

RC20 said:
Jacks load was also pretty hot.

His loads may not have been as hot as you think. He used 62 grains of H4831 but that was a military surplus powder back then. H4831 has been changed since then and 62 grains would probably be a very hot load today. However, his claimed 3200 FPS with a 130 grain bullets can be reached still today. Powders are better today and in some cases you can reach 3000 FPS with a 150 grain bullets with powders like MagPro and MRP.

The thing is it all really depends on the rifle. I've had loads below book max show pressure signs and loads a grain or two over never have a problem. Each rifle is different, and some just shoot faster than others for no apparent reasons. I don't worry about speed unless my velocity is erratic when I'm developing loads, I just take the most accurate load regardless of speed.

Point taken

Again, no problem with 270. Sheep hunting, Caribou, Deer etc.

Good shot placement you can do a Moose.

Back to the OP, 30-06 can do it all and has the larger range of capabilities.

There is a reason there has not been a major amount of development
around 270.

Some areas you know its all you need, others you should have more capable. If you are going to hunt moose vs have a crack at one or can run into a Brown bear, then I would vastly prefer to have the 06.

Lefteye, the last guide I Elk hunted with in Colorado was awful glad to see my 7Rum and even happier to see the Barnes X loaded for it. So, I guess they all have their varying opinions.

Your rifle is probably sufficient for any animal in the world. ;) Most guides try to please their clients to "earn" the largest gratuity. This is not a criticism of guides - it is an observation from many, many years of hunting.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
RC20 said:
Some areas you know its all you need, others you should have more capable. If you are going to hunt moose vs have a crack at one or can run into a Brown bear, then I would vastly prefer to have the 06.

I get that you like the 06, I do as well and don't disagree it is probably the better rifle if you are hunting brown bears. However, how many brown bears are taken every year with a pistol or bow? The .270 Win is vastly superior to any pistol or bow IMO. However, if I were hunting brownies I'd probably use my .338-06 or .375 Ruger.

Bullet selection was mentioned earlier as well and the lack of it for the .270 Win. Yes bullet selection is more limited with a .277 caliber vs. .308, but the latter has been in service in the US military for 125 years. If the .277 caliber had ever been a service cartridge it would have a lot more bullet development over the years.

If sectional density is a indicator of penetration, it takes a 190+ grain bullet in .308 to offer better penetration than the 150 grain .277 bullet all else being equal. There are two manufactures of 180 grain .277 bullets, Woodleigh and Hawk and both should penetrate as well as any 220 grain .308 bullet. Granted the .308 Will always make a bigger hole, and that is why I'd pick it for brown bear over the .270 Win.

Someone also mentioned only three cartridges were available in .277 calibers, and there are actually five listed by SAAMI. Currently SAAMI lists 6.8 SPC, .270 Win, .270 WSM, .270 Weatherby, and .27 Nosler, but that doesn't include the many wildcats that have been made using the .277 Caliber. Probably the best endorsement for he .270 was from P.O. Ackley, in his books never listed data for a .270 AI stating that there was no gain on the original cartridge.

Anyway all this discussion probably means nothing to the OP as he has only one post and hasn't been on since the 29th of December. He's either found his rifle or he doesn't care anymore.

Remington model 700 BDL, or an older 700 ADL with the walnut stock and iron sights.

Chambered in .30-'06.

For optics, a mid price range Leupold or Burris in the 3-9x power range.

(Bottom rifle in picture - but it's a model 700RS, which was only made for a couple years. Basically a 700 BDL with synthetic stock and matte metal finish. Sort of like today's 700 SPS, but mine has iron sights)

Attachments

• IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I think you miss the point. 30 caliber is very popular, 270 not nearly as much and never will be. It still a mainstay, I don't dismiss it, but the OP asked and my view is that sans a very specific location and hunting area that suits the 270 over the 06, I would take the 06.

You can make any wild cat you want off a 270 case, its bullets that count (just easier than doing it with 06 for smaller calibers) same as you don't see a 270-338. Easier to make those off the 06 case.

Certainly sufficient for hunting.

Quick count in my Hornady shows 27 bullets listed for 30-06 (that may not be all the 30 cal bullets) and 13 for 270.

Worth looking at as that is more than I thought there would be, figured maybe 8 - 10 for 270.

I
get that you like the 06, I do as well and don't disagree it is probably the better rifle if you are hunting brown bears. However, how many brown bears are taken every year with a pistol or bow? The .270 Win is vastly superior to any pistol or bow IMO. However, if I were hunting brownies I'd probably use my .338-06 or .375 Ruger.

Bullet selection was mentioned earlier as well and the lack of it for the .270 Win. Yes bullet selection is more limited with a .277 caliber vs. .308, but the latter has been in service in the US military for 125 years. If the .277 caliber had ever been a service cartridge it would have a lot more bullet development over the years.

If sectional density is a indicator of penetration, it takes a 190+ grain bullet in .308 to offer better penetration than the 150 grain .277 bullet all else being equal. There are two manufactures of 180 grain .277 bullets, Woodleigh and Hawk and both should penetrate as well as any 220 grain .308 bullet. Granted the .308 Will always make a bigger hole, and that is why I'd pick it for brown bear over the .270 Win.

Someone also mentioned only three cartridges were available in .277 calibers, and there are actually five listed by SAAMI. Currently SAAMI lists 6.8 SPC, .270 Win, .270 WSM, .270 Weatherby, and .27 Nosler, but that doesn't include the many wildcats that have been made using the .277 Caliber. Probably the best endorsement for he .270 was from P.O. Ackley, in his books never listed data for a .270 AI stating that there was no gain on the original cartridge.

Anyway all this discussion probably means nothing to the OP as he has only one post and hasn't been on since the 29th of December. He's either found his rifle or he doesn't care anymore.

My guide was not getting a gratuity. In addition to being a guide, he is a truck driver who hauls about 15 loads of freight cross country for me per year. The hunt was free. Considering his rifle is a .30-378 WBY, I think he might just have a man crush on boomers.:D

There are gobs of bullets for the 270 Winchester, more than anyone needs. In my 270, I limit myself to three bullet weights, i.e., 130, 140,150. And among those are Speer, Sierra, Hornady, Nosler, Silvertips, and others. And there are other bullet weights that I don't need. Finding bullets for a 348 Winchester could be challenging and quite limited. Not so for the 270. Sure, there are more 30 caliber than 270. So? Has anyone tried them all? I doubt it. Your needs will be well met by a small fraction of what's available. Not enough bullet selection for 270? Nonsense. But if you believe that, go ahead and get a 30-'06, it will serve just as well.

I don't think I have tried all the bullets for my 3006 but I have accurate loads for 125, 130 HP, 150, 165, 168, and 180 grain bullets. I have used mine to plink, varmint hunt, big game and small bears. I used to go out into the country side with a couple of friends and my brother to shoot a few targets and just blast a piece of branch that fell off a tree. They had their 22s and I had my 06. I missed a lot less than they did! :)

Pathfinder45 said:
There are gobs of bullets for the 270 Winchester, more than anyone needs. In my 270, I limit myself to three bullet weights, i.e., 130, 140,150.

Just like most people who hunt with a .30-06 settle on 150, 165, and 180 grain bullets.

RC20 said:
I think you miss the point. 30 caliber is very popular, 270 not nearly as much and never will be.

Yes there are more bullets in .308 than .277, that has never been a point that I've missed. However, when you take all the match bullets, bullets requiring faster than 1;10 twist rate, FMJ, and bullets designed for lever actions in tube magazines the gap narrows considerably when it comes to hunting bullets .277 vs .308. The .270 Win has been in the top five sales of reloading dies according to RCBS, and top five in cartridge sales according to Federal for the last few years. I think the .270 holds its own even with its limited bullet selection.

"Jack O Conner was the .270's biggest champion, he used if for just about everything, writers tend to have their cal/s. Mostly he was into sheep, deer and occasionally elk."

When Jack O'Connor retired from Outdoor Life, he was interviewed by Jim Carmichel on his career with the Magazine. One question that he was asked was, If you had to give up all your rifles for North America except one, what caliber would it be?" Jack answered unhesitatingly, "The 30-06!" Even Mr. .270 admitted the superiority of the 30-06. :eek:
Paul B.

What is the top selling die?

And along with 30-06, its the first caliber to come out in any long action.

Its a fine caliber, deerly loved (pun) its just not an 06.

RCBS has this as their 2013 top selling list. I think the intent of the original question was for hunting. The .223 isn't usually considered a hunting round other than varmints but it's quite popular for plinking and some target applications so I'm not surprised it's at the top. I will say, that list would shuffle a lot depending on the state and it's offerings.

1..223 Remington
2..308 Winchester
3..30-06 Springfield
4..243 Winchester
5..270 Winchester
6..300 Winchester Magnum
7..22-250 Remington
8.7mm Remington Magnum
9..30-30 Winchester
10..25-06 Remington

Back