Which Hunting Rifle - .270, .300, .308 or 30/06?

Another vote for 30.06, another vote for Leupold.
If you get a 3-9X40 scope, you'll have budget left
over for many fine bolt-actions, which have become too
tiresomely numerous to mention.
Pick a favorite brand name, get good ammo, zero it
carefully, and enjoy.

160's/.270

hooligan1 brings up a good point. Those Nosler Partition 160's are devastating on elk or deer. Smaller deer or pronghorn, lighter bullet. 270 Win is a fine round. So is the .30-'06. Either one, you can't go wrong.

You may want to get something with longer reach if hunting in the western states. My dad had a Ruger 270 and 30/06. When I was a teen and completed the hunters education course he bought me a 7mm Rem Mag. It has came in handy on some longer shots. I recently acquired a 300 WSM that I've been plinking with. I really like it, and the recoil is fairly close to the 7 Mag which isn't too bad at all. I have no experience with the. 270, 30/06, or 308. Growing up on the 7 Mag, no need to fix what wasn't broken.

troyinidaho said:
I have no experience with the. 270, 30/06, or 308. Growing up on the 7 Mag, no need to fix what wasn't broken.

Well IME having owned and shot all of them in hunting rifles except the .308, I can tell you they are more alike than different.

The 30-06 is hard to beat ... With Federal 180 gr Fusion ammo ($22 a box) can dispatch any NA game ....as long as you do your part..

Back