Which HD Shotgun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Budget is the idea not just because of low use, but also in the event of actual home defense, you will possibly lose that gun to police evidence.

I'm a fan of the Maverick. I have a 5 round field model, but it is available in an 8 round model. I find my Maverick to be plenty smooth. That could be lack of experience, but I believe in a home defense situation you won't be dwelling on the smoothness of the action.

If on a budget, and who isn't nowadays. I also recommend a used Mossberg 500 or even better, a Remington 870 Express.

Right now is a great time to purchase used guns. Hunting seasons are over in most places and long guns will not be "moving" again until July - August. Scour those Pawn and Gun shops used gun racks for good deals. And remember cash is what these places want - not debit or credit cards.

I prefer the Remington 870 Home Defense shotgun. I have the earlier model with the synthetic stock. Because I am small I replaced the buttstock with the youth model synthetic buttstock. The gun is sized just right for in the home defense.

Just purchased a Savage/Stevens 320. I Haven't shot it yet, but I spent plenty of time researching and also watching various videos on Youtube. Seems to be a solid shotgun. There were some early issues with the racking grip breaking loose. It was only held with about 4 spot welds. The design has been changed to eliminate this problem. Mine came with a pistol grip stock and ghost ring sight with a fiber optic front sight. These are accessories I prefer, but you can also get it with a regular stock and front bead sight. This model is based on the Winchester 1200/1300. I understand many parts are interchangeable with possibly some minor modification. I buy American, when possible, but this met my need for a HD shotgun and the price of $199.98. was too good to pass on. This gun meets most of my requirements minus possibly adding a flashlight. No need to spend bucks to get some of the other guns mentioned modified to come up to the way the 320 comes out of the box. It all depends on what you want I guess. Good luck! :)

Of the three the OP inquired about, and having none of them, I would go with the Maverick, even though my HD gun is a Remington 870 and I believe the Pardner is pretty much a clone of the 870. Whatever you get, I think you are making a big mistake if you think you can go cheap just because a HD gun will never be used.

Should you ever need to use it for home defense, it has to be reliable, which is why you had best take care if you are going to buy a used gun or a cheap gun. Are you competent to tell if a used gun is good operating condition?

Even if you are only buying it for HD, consider whether or not you may also want to shoot some trap or even do some hunting with it and in that case you will probably want at least one other barrel. Is it available for that gun and for how much.

You may later wish to add accessories to the gun, in which case more are available for the Remington 870. I believe nearly as many can be found for the Mossberg 500. The rest I don't know.

I have a work issued Remington 870 and my dad gifted me a Mossberg 500. If I had to spend my own coin on a HD shotgun it would have been on the Maverick.

Another vote for the Mossberg.
They make good and inexpensive pumps, with abundant parts availability from many sources.
Something folks seem to ignore until they need to fix it or just want an accessory.
But, in the final analysis, success in home defense is far more about the defender than the weapon.
So, don't forget the training aspect.
Especially with yours and your family's life at stake.

Budget is the idea not just because of low use, but also in the event of actual home defense, you will possibly lose that gun to police evidence.

Not the brightest idea. Do you carry a Jennings or other cheap gun because of the same thought process?

Should you ever need to use it for home defense, it has to be reliable,

^^^^ THIS should be the deciding factor. IF the cheapest gun is also reliable, then you get a win-win. If it isn't, then you get a lose-lose.

When I was selling guns, guys would often say they just wanted something in a cheap handgun for their wife. I would always tell them
"The odds you or she will ever actually need to use the gun are probably better than a million to one, against it. The odds you will ever actually need to fire the gun are then probably better than another million to one, against it. But, if it doesn't work then, you're dead. If you can't afford to lose, no matter the odds, don't bet."

Nice review on the RIA. Certainly shows me, in reference to a HD shotgun anyway, cheap is not indicative of quality.

Looks like we're talking budget shotguns for HD. Excellent. IU would look at Stevens as well. They get consistent good reviews of vale for price.

Maverick: as noted thats a Mossberg design. Other than being utilitarian (which hey you want) I've heard nothing bad about them.

Used: Mossies and Remingtons are pretty rugged so a used one is also a route. You don't care if its pretty as long as it works, and lots of people buy and then sell shotguns after using them very little.

Keep in mind the availability of barrels and accessories you may need down the road, in which case I would recommend a Remington 870 with a 4+1 capacity. More accessories are also marketed for the 870 than any other shotgun. Should you ever go to a pistol grip stock, you will curse the tang safety on a Mossberg 500.

If you choice is limited to the three in your original post, I would go with the Maverick. It is very much like its big cousin, the Mossberg 500, but no tang safety and I believe it takes some of the Mossberg barrels.

All you need for HD is a short barrel and a simple bead sight. I would stay away from ghost rings unless you just want to look cool. If that is what you want, its fun to look cool. I wish I was young enough to be a mall ninja.

Personally, since getting the 870 I have been converted to believing a handgun is a superior HD gun,. The reasons are beyond the scope of this thread, but I keep my 870 as a back up clays gun for guests and when not at the range I pop the short barrel back on and it resumes its duties as a secondary HD gun.

Last edited:
The plastic safeties are a bigger liability than a polymer trigger group housing.

Virginian has that right, but it is no big deal to replace the plastic tang safety with a metal one. Still, $35 for parts to replace a plastic safety is a no go if you are on a budget, and we all have one, limiting you to $200 to buy a gun.

If the barrel of the RIA M5 can't be swapped for at least a field barrel, I would stay away from it. I glanced at its web site and didn't see where barrels could be purchased. Looking at a video, the barrel is threaded into the receiver. It isn't secured to the mag tube via a cap over the barrel lug. There is no cap to remove which keeps you from using a magazine extension. This is limited to use as a security gun. I would go with the 870, 500/Maverick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back