Which handguns do you think will be discontinued soon?

Yep. I'm tots wrong on the TS2 replacing Shadow 2.

The TS2 is new and there are a million out there right now. Since this is clearly a shipment, I assumed that there are zero Shadows to buy right now, the TS2 replaced it.

Silly gamers making rulls up to have specific guns :D

Silly gamers making rulls up to have specific guns

Haha. I purchased a Shadow 2 a few months ago. I don’t compete with it. I just picked it up as a pure toy - to have a fun high-quality all-steel 9mm to shoot for the pure enjoyment of it.

It’s definitely a gamer gun posing as a service pistol, and I imagine it must be like using a cheat code for USPSA Production Class.

Besides, .45 Long Colt was really only popular with the Military/Law Enforcement for about 10 years, yet the cartridge is still in production today,...

How you you define "really popular"? Not that it matters, I'm just curious. And I' d be inclined to dispute "for about 10 years" as well, the .45 Colt being the official US Army cartridge from 1873 to 1892. So, that's 19 years as the official pistol round for the Army, and it kept quite a bit of popularity with LEOs, especially those in rural areas where as late as WWII part or often most of their patrol time was done on horseback .

Until the appearance of the .357 Magnum in 1935, the .45 Colt was regarded as the most powerful pistol round commonly available.

The 40's only real appeal was that it could be had in 9mm-sized semi-autos back in the day when the 9mm was still regarded as an "anemic" cartridge, generally in L.E. circles but by a lot of civies as well.

Now that current bullet technology has made the 9mm "combat effective" for street use, the real choices are between it and either the 10mm or .45acp.

I would point out that more than 40years ago the 9mm Luger met or exceeded all the FBI's requirements and was adopted as their service round. Until it got the official blame for the fiasco in Miami in 86.

so the 9mm was out. New standards were developed, the 10mm was going to be the new round, but there were problems with that, too. Mostly due to many agents not being able to handle the "big" 10mm guns as well as desired. S&W came up the solution, a new round that gave the desired performance AND fit in 9mm frame size guns. Win/win...for a while...

Now, thanks to "advances in bullet technology" the FBI has gone back to the 9mm. SO far, it seems to be working well enough. Wonder what hoops they will create to jump through when a real world shootout comes along where it fails "again"....

The real world is the real world and in the real world there is no magic bullet that works 100% of the time. EVERYTHING fails, even the vaunted .45. The best things run in the 90%+ range. NOTHING is 100% not even 12ga slugs.

And in the real world, the guns most likely to be discontinued are the ones where the makers have the least amount of prestige and money invested, and which are also returning lower than desired profits.

No one owns a crystal ball that REALLY works...........AND. reloaders and wildcatters can make almost any cartridge go on for ever As an example. I bought my first 40 smith & Wesson in 1989 when they first came out.. There was NO ammo or brass readily available. I cut down and inside neck reamed 10mm brass to 40 dimensions and shot it a lot until 40 S&W ammo/brass became common.

I don’t own a 40SW currently, but I don’t know that its future is as bleak as some here think. As of now the 40SW is the only cartridge other than 9mm for which Glock has released a Gen 5 pistol. Glock is by no means the firearm industry into itself, but I feel like if the 40SW was truly in its death spiral then Glock wouldn’t have even bothered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not scientific but..........
GB has,
1,321 40 S&W pistols for sale, 619 of them "New".
339 10mm, 263 "New" and many of them are pretty pricey.
I don't see the 40 disappearing before the 10.

I don't think the .45 has much of a future as a carry gun and I do see its popularity waning over time because the capacity for anything that's not a full size like Glock 21 or FN FNX is not good and the price for the ammo is likely going to be over $20 a box once prices settle down.

Also, let's face it, the biggest proponents of .45 ACP are generally older shooters and I don't see them getting replaced by younger shooters who have all largely embraced 9mm and if they do go for more power in a handgun seem to be opting for 10mm instead.
I don't know about that, I hope that you are wrong because I love the 45 ACP.

I do agree that the 45 will play second fiddle to 9mm (it already does), and it may wane a bit in appeal compared to the rising popularity of the 10mm, but there is no chance that it will disappear as a popular pistol carry cartridge. It has some unique characteristics that make it desirable, and the price is already down to $0.42 per round and keeps dropping. 10mm is at least 50% more expensive.

In my opinion this would be like thinking that the 30-06 does not have a future as a hunting round because of the popularity of .308 and 6.5 Creedmore. There is room in the shooting market for all.

Speaking of those who "go for more power in a handgun", for the life of me I do NOT UNDERSTAND why those in the 45 ACP community have not embraced the 45 Super and .450 SMC loads. In my opinion these bring the .45 caliber to its full potential, and most 45 ACP shooters don't know about them!! :eek:

Last edited:
I don't know, I hope that you are wrong because I love the 45 ACP.

I do agree that the 45 will play second fiddle to 9mm (it already does), and it may wane a bit in appeal compared to the rising popularity of the 10mm, but there is no chance that it will disappear as a popular pistol carry cartridge. It has some unique characteristics that make it desirable, and the price is already down to $0.42 per round and keeps dropping. 10mm is at least 50% more expensive.

In my opinion this would be like thinking that the 30-06 does not have a future as a hunting round because of the popularity of .308 and 6.5 Creedmore. There is room in the shooting market for all.

I think 30-06 will be kept around even if just to support the many, many US military surplus rifles in that caliber.

I used to think 45 ACP would never disappear simply because many Americans enjoy 1911s. While I think that’s still true to an extent, I’m seeing more and more 1911s in calibers other than 45 ACP (9mm and 10mm) both in stores and at the range.

Speaking of those who "go for more power in a handgun", for the life of me I do NOT UNDERSTAND why those in the 45 ACP community have not embraced the 45 Super and .450 SMC loads. In my opinion these bring the .45 caliber to its full potential, and most 45 ACP shooters don't know about them!! :eek:
I said carry gun, not range gun. People are still going to buy .45's because it does have some quirks that make it well suited as a target caliber or competition caliber, but for field use I see more people embracing 10mm over it while for concealed carry the 9mm is the king.

I don't know who is going to one day decide their 12rd Ruger Max 9 is no longer doing it for them and they decide to go with a 5+1 single stack .45 ACP instead.

Actually that's not the case, expect maybe at the one-off retail store fronts.

Online prices as between .45acp and 10mm are in relative parity, less than a dollar's difference if bought in volume.

In fact Underwood's direct pricing on 10mm ammo is hard to beat, and you're getting real 10mm ammo for your buck too, not the watered-down crapola.
I said carry gun, not range gun. People are still going to buy .45's because it does have some quirks that make it well suited as a target caliber or competition caliber, but for field use I see more people embracing 10mm over it while for concealed carry the 9mm is the king.
Agree with the 10mm dominating for "field use" (camping, hiking, backpacking, hunting sidearm, etc.).

For concealed EDC where it's a 9mm, the compact micro models seem to be the dominant trend right now. That could change, however, if there's ever a federal 10-rd limit (re-)imposed on pistol magazine capacity.

Under the last "Hi-Cap mag" ban (1990s), the trend was clearly toward concealable smaller guns with mags holding 10-rds of Big Bullets: 45acp & 10mm, or .40, but not 9mm.

For concealed EDC where it's a 9mm, the compact micro models seem to be the dominant trend right now. That could change, however, if there's ever a federal 10-rd limit (re-)imposed on pistol magazine capacity.

Under the last "Hi-Cap mag" ban (1990s), the trend was clearly toward concealable smaller guns with mags holding 10-rds of Big Bullets: 45acp & 10mm, or .40, but not 9mm.

Many of the compact micros that are popular now are already based on 10 rd magazines. That’s true of the SIG P365, S&W Shield Plus, and Ruger Max 9. The Taurus GX4 and the Springfield Hellcat are 11 rd magazines (though there are 10 rd versions of those pistols). The higher capacity magazines for these pistols are extended magazines that increase the grip size. Now it might be that if those extended magazines no longer grant additional capacity due to a ban that these pistols will lose some appeal. I’ve met people from ban states that do carry other cartridges than 9mm purely because they can’t get the standard capacity of those pistols in 9mm.

Speaking of those who "go for more power in a handgun", for the life of me I do NOT UNDERSTAND why those in the 45 ACP community have not embraced the 45 Super and .450 SMC loads. In my opinion these bring the .45 caliber to its full potential, and most 45 ACP shooters don't know about them!!

It has been said that the .45 ACP/1911 Cult (I am a member) was on its last legs for DECADES. But it's more popular than ever today and will outlive even a very young person today unless we go to all phased plasma rifles in the 40 watt range.

Likewise for the good ol' .30-06. Despite all naysayers, it's been around over a century, and 8mm Mauser even longer than that. I love 8mm and although it's a cult caliber in the US, it's still plenty popular in Europe for such an old design. Nostalgia plays a part, but whatever, nostalgia drives many purchases.

Agree with the 10mm dominating for "field use" (camping, hiking, backpacking, hunting sidearm, etc.).

If a 10 rd limit comes back I don't think people are going to suddenly up and decide to buy a .45 over a 9mm. The ammo being almost twice the price being a major reason.

If a 10 rd limit comes back I don't think people are going to suddenly up and decide to buy a .45 over a 9mm. The ammo being almost twice the price being a major reason.
Wrong. :rolleyes:

Back in the '90s, the difference (in relative pricing) was also "twice the price" of a box of 9-minimeter, yet that didn't deter CCW folks from choosing a G30 or a G29, or an Colt 45 Officers, over a similarly sized 10-rd 9mm pistol.

Focus, dude. The past is prologue, and it ain't rocket science. :rolleyes:

Wrong. :rolleyes:

Back in the '90s, the difference (in relative pricing) was also "twice the price" of a box of 9-minimeter, yet that didn't deter CCW folks from choosing a G30 or a G29, or an Colt 45 Officers, over a similarly sized 10-rd 9mm pistol.

Focus, dude. The past is prologue, and it ain't rocket science. :rolleyes:
This ain't the 90's, Dude.

Back