• 10mm Glock G20

Votes: 13 8.5%
  • .357/ .38 Model M&P R8

Votes: 40 26.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone is quick to expunge "revolvers are so simple" but both the FNX-45 and the Beretta 92 can both be safely stored with a round in the chamber and decocked. You will then have the same kind of long DA trigger pull that revolver will have.

I love revolvers, but not for home defense. Ironically that is exactly what I have next to me for HD but that is soon to change, I simply don't have the gun I want for this purpose. To me, .357 magnum is much too loud for home defense, and .38 special doens't perform as well as say .45 ACP. So yeah, I'd MUCH rather have 16 rounds of .45 ACP at the ready than 6 rounds of .38 special or .357 magnum. And to those who say "revolver are so reliable, they'l never fail!" I say you are probably right but it's not 1920 anymore. There are a TON of SUPER reliable autoloaders out there, and the FNX-45 is one of them. It is also every bit as safe to leave loaded and ready in/on the night stand if it is ever called to action.

voted for the 38/357 M&P R8 (?) since I own 2 M-19s.
It seems the R8 is a $1328.00 MSRP S&W Performance Center, Scandium 8 shot, large frame revolver chambered in 357/38Spcl.
Certainty no argument with the caliber for home defence. I just don't see the need to pay almost twice what a Ruger GP 100 357 would cost. In fact, for the price of the M&P R8, you could almost get a GP 100, and the Beretta 92fs.
But if the OP is impressed by big $$$ guns, and has it to spend, go for it.:D

I use S&W k-frame revolvers for home defense. They're stoked with FBI loads. Low capacity, for certain. But no safety, slide or magazine release to fumble with in the dark when awakened by breaking glass at 2 am. I also like the fact that I can load the cylinder today and a decade from now, they're as good to go as they are right now.

Of those, probably the 9mm and .45, the 9mm for lowest recoil and the .45 for good capacity in the FN plus the biggest bullet and I can't lie, I love the .45.

I like the .357 Mag but blast indoors isn't going to be pretty plus it holds the least amount of ammo and reloads the slowest. otherwise a solid choice. If you wanted a .357 something, I'd consider the 357 Sig a better choice due to capacity and platform advantages, but then again at that point wouldn't the 9mm work just as well?

The 10mm can be a good choice, but almost always people buy the overcharged UW or BB stuff which isn't needed for home defense, plus blast and recoil increases as well, and honestly I think the .40 makes a lot more sense. I don't see a .40 listed, but I would choose a G22/G35 way before a G20 because you'll get a lot better choices in premium self defense ammo and lose nothing in ability to inflict a LOT of damage.

I picked the .45.

I've fired the G20 and it didn't feel comfortable in my hands. Plus potential for overpenetration with full-hunting/sd loads.

I have held a Beretta M9/M92, and it also felt too thick for smooth transition of DA to SA shooting without changing grip.

I like revolvers and almost went with the .357 option, but would have been shooting it with .38+p for home defense, so I don't have over-penetration through a wall and hit my daughter [.357mag loads]. Probably over-thinking it, but may not be. Also, cost factors for an 8-shot .357mag.

The FNP in .45 is the one that fits my hand the best, which means I am more likely to hit what I am aiming at under stress. I am comfortable with .45acp rounds as well.

I had a problem because you are asking us to choose between both platforms AND calibers.

I'd rather have a caliber question OR a platform question, because my responses would be different based on the change to either.

For example, if the survey was:

Glock G21 .45acp
CZ7b 9mm
S&W M&P .40
Ruger GP100 .357mag

I'd pick the M&P .40, even though it is the round I like the least of all 4 on the list. However, it is the platform I can control the best [of the semi-autos] and has the round count advantage over the GP100 [which I wouldn't use full-house magnum loads in for house defense for reasons given above].

And, if you used either set of options with the question of while hiking or outdoors, I'd go with the .357mag revolvers.

Those are my reasons.

A FNX45 sits in my night table. You really do not need the tactical version for home defense. I put a laser on the rail and it is good to go.

FN suppressed loaded with 220 +P Critical Duty. If the FN can handle 45 Super, then Underwood 230 XTPs.

Glock 20 is a real close second, nay change my mind.

As you probably know - any of the guns listed will do the job. My choice for home defense is a Remington 870, 12 gauge.

My nightstand gun is a G20. The mag is holding 180g Federal Hydra-Shok's. They're a watered down loading, and I'm okay with that. Shot placement.

there are 0 reasons to own a handgun for home defense.

Handguns are notoriously difficult to shoot under stress, even at close range.

Get a PCC.

there are 0 reasons to own a handgun for home defense.

No?

What about answering the door? Hard to conceal that carbine or shotgun.

Manuevering through tight hallways and doorways? Avoiding having the gun grabbed and taken away from you? Back-up gun to that shotgun/carbine?

That's 4 reasons, not zero. Here's another -- pistols take less storage space. That might not be important to most people, but I'm sure it's important to some.

I'd go with a rig like this, if I had to pick only one on your list. Utterly reliable and simple, and it's hard to imagine any realistic scenario where you will run out of ammo.
368666585.jpg

That said, the gun in my dresser drawer is a P226.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back