• 10mm Glock G20

Votes: 13 8.5%
  • .357/ .38 Model M&P R8

Votes: 40 26.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Had to vote for the .357/.38 spl., of the list offerings that I have owned or shot the revolver is the one I shoot best.

Non of the above! With the closest being the Beretta.
The Glock 20 would be second, but in a HD situation I would be concerned about over penetration.
I would not consider either of the $1000+ handguns considering that if you have to defend yourself with deadly force it will be going away, and out of your possession. What may hapen to it is anybody's guess. Things sometimes disappear. Most likely not, but why take a chance when there are equally suited firearms, of the same, or similar design, for near 1/2 the price.

I voted for the Beretta simply because it was the only one on the list I own. I can't very well protect things with a handgun I do not have in my possession.

The firearm next to my bed is a Mossberg 8 round pump (a former State Patrol weapon) with a 20" barrel.

FNX .45, no questions asked.

15+1 of .45 ACP hollow points... can't argue with that. Also it's DA/SA so you could leave it chambered and ready to go, safety off, with a long DA pull for the 1st shot just like a revolver.

I chose the Beretta because of familiarity with the platform. I would dearly love to have chosen a 10mm, but alas, I am not a Glock person. No one else in my house, so shooting through walls is of no concern to me. I guess the .45 would have been a good choice too, but I never shot the one listed.

I voted Beretta since I actually once used one for home defense. It’s a reliable easy shooting gun with adequate capacity.

Now, if I were recommending a gun for a novice I might actually recommend the S&W revolver loaded with .38+P ammo.

I vote for the 357magnum. Already has a proven fight stopping record.
Mine is a model 19 S&W, but results would be the same.
No muss no fuss just point and shoot.

Beretta 92 got my vote.

My concern with the people that voted .357 & 10mm is the hearing damage that may come after those calibers have been fired indoors.

I voted .45 due to caliber. Not that there is a magic caliber but if shooting
inside a room the flash & boom is a bit less with the .45.

I'm not sure I buy the less flash and boom with the .45, at the range, it's pretty much the loudest handgun going off so I don't see how shooting it inside the home will be quieter than the 9mm. I'll stick with the 92FS too.....

Laura

Also the .45 ACP which is a lower-pressure and usually subsonic round out of handguns, is simply going to produce less noise than other options but it sure has plenty of power. IMHO a decisive blow is what a person is going to need if they ever need to use a gun for home defense. IDK about you but inside my small home I'd call that "very close quarters", and I want to be armed with a weapon that can nuetralize the threat before he can close in on me.

So with that said, an FNX-45 with 15+1 rounds of Federal HST 230 JHP loads with a few spare mags next to it, and with an attached flashlight and night sights, with a round chambered and safety off (long first DA shot), is tops for a home defense handgun IMHO.

None would be at the top of my list. All would be more than adequate. Honestly, I'd just as soon pick up which ever is closest.

I like hi-cap for home defense. for da skreets a .38/357 is fine, but a home invasion may very likely have 2 or more participants. I personally like 9mm so I chose the Beretta

I voted Beretta. Really I'd like to see a simpler gun like a Glock 17, but if familiar with the Beretta's controls, and the safety is off, it will be fine. 9mm == .45, but 9 is easier to shoot and there are more of them in the gun.

The .45 is a very close second. Availability of a suppressor, or any kind of magazine capacity restrictions, would tip the scales in its favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back