Which handgun for grizzly?

Well, I look at like this: on the one hand, 200 grain Underwood ammo advertises 670(?) ft lbs. of ME. I would have 14 shots with my 10mm.
Conversely, my 480 with Hornady 325 grain ammo gives about 1325 ft lbs of ME. With six shots.
So, I can double the round count (approximately) and get half the ME. Or double the ME and get half the number of shots. Provided I don't die of fright when seeing a grizzly charge me, I expect that even when I get knocked to the ground I should be able to draw and fire my weapon.

Originally posted by Ruger480:

Provided I don't die of fright when seeing a grizzly charge me, I expect that even when I get knocked to the ground I should be able to draw and fire my weapon.

If your gun isn't drawn by the time the grizzly is upon you......you're better off playing dead and hope he goes away.

I'd take whatever gun you are more proficient with. In addition to that, bring bear spray. If given the option, take a rifle/shotgun with.

Keep in mind that whatever you choose to carry in the BOB, you will be carrying it. That is to say, there is a lot of country to cover and weight considerations will be greater once you are there and into a hunt the first day. When you are at the trailhead, it is easy; once you get a few miles in...differnet story!

I normally carry a 7 1/2" 44 mag on my hip on horseback, but when it's time to get on my own two legs for the day, it makes you wish for a chest harness and a lighter, more easier to wield gun. I carry spray as well.

The Bob Marshall is a neat place and if you are hunting early rifle (or bow for that matter) get yourself a camelback type of pack and bring a katedyne water purifier. It can be warm that time of year and there is a lot of hiking involved, and you will go through a lot of water.

Do you know where you are going for your hunt yet?

I've backpacked and camped within grizzley country of Wyoming. I carried a feather weight single barrel 16 gauge shotgun loaded with a deer slug and never felt afraid.

TR

I'll be the first to say I have no experience with grizzly bears, but if I thought I would have, I believe my side arm choice would be a Ruger Alaskan in 44mag or 454.

I would load it with some heavy hitting slugs.
I know the 2.5 inch barrel you lose velocity, but with heavy slugs and the ball of fire it will be belching I would think it might deter a Grizzly.

The shorter barrel would be a plus in the fact it would be easier to pack and faster to get into action.

Along with that short barrel revolver I would pack a change of drawers.:D

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Others have all ready said it but it bears repeating:
(Sorry bad joke I know - don't hate)

The handgun s/b the backup and a rifle s/b the primary weapon. As far as the rifle goes the minimum I would use is the 30-06, using 180 grain bullet. If you can go bigger, then you should. IMHO there's no such thing as too-much-gun for bears! IF you still want to hunt griz with a handgun, then more power to you. I would have someone with a BFG (Big Freakin' Gun) as a back up.

Good Luck - Let us know the results.

And above all: BE CAREFUL - STAY SAFE!
:D

FYI - My Dad years ago hit a very large black bear with a .308 using (I think) 180 grain bullet. Unfortunately as he shot the took a step and was hit a bit back (the were it should had been). It got it's lungs BUT my Dad and I had to go looking for it and it was getting dark! We eventually the bear (all ready dead) but it NOT was a fun experience. It could have ended a lot worse. That was a black bear - Griz is much more dangerous animal.

Last edited:
stonedog406

Do you know where you are going for your hunt yet?

No, we don't know yet. I have a buddy who used to be a guide in MT. He is in the process of setting us up with an outfitter.

I'd take what you feel more confident with in terms of handguns. But you might just get a crack at using the 480 for an elk? That would be very cool.

Should a situation develop.... here is how it will go.... handgun? rifle? handgun? rifle? Let me think.....I'll take the '06.

I'd like to weigh in again on this.

It was not for grizzly of course but I did go bear hunting in Boone County the year before last. Nothing like camping in a tent in bear territory, seems like a dumb idea now. No one got a bear but 2 were seen. I used a .45-70 NEF, for those that don't know that is a single shot. When I go again, I'll use the same gun too. I think there's a great fear of bear, but how did hunters hunt in the past without these large magnums? I know of someone that deer hunted with a .300 Weatherbee loaded pretty hot once. There's a certain point to where it gets ridiculous. If my buddy hadn't talked me out of it I would've tried my .45 Colt Circuit Judge to bear hunt but I wanted a bit more range so I went with my .45-70, which I was told by a few it was too dangerous to use. I think people need to rethink what they are doing sometimes. Yes, safety first, but if you're safety is that important than maybe you shouldn't be in grizzly bear territory.

Here's an idea, get a 10 gauge single shot, single shot to keep it light, and cut the barrel down to the bare legal minimum. Get the heaviest and hottest loaded slugs. Get a good compfortable sling and you're good to go. If you can't find a 10 gauge, settle for a 12. You could always even make it into a really small SBS, get a side by side while you're at it, and get a holster for it. Sure it'll sting when you shoot it, but it'll be compact and pack a punch no handgun can offer. No need to carry a large rifle around if you don't want to.

In the same situation and owning a couple 480's..... I would take a 4" M57 (41 mag) with heavy loads and the 30-06. Big revolvers are cumbersome if you are carrying a rifle too if they are truly for backup. But you may be on horse back??

OP,i would/have gone with 480, and if you handload for the 480 i would suggest load the ammo to 475 Linebaugh levels with gas checked 400gr+ SWC hardcast.

480 Ruger in an Uncle Mike's chest harness and 30-06 bullets of 180-200 gn and of tough construction like Hornaday's GMX or a Nosler Partition. Penetration is the key not how many flesh wounds you make so that leaves out the 10mm.

The rifle would be my first choice for a charging bear but if something went wrong I would draw the 480 after dropping the rifle. The nice thing about a chest harness is you can draw it fast and even when running away to get some extra time or while on the ground fighting for your life. It would thus be a last resort weapon for me. My 480 is 5 shooter not a six. I thought most revolvers of this size had 5 but I could be wrong as large revolvers are not my specialty.

I personally recommend a .338 Win Mag if you believe bears encounters are likely. It is not overkill on Elk but definitely the right medicine for aggressive bears.

I second that you definitely pack an extra set of drawers if you feel you will likely encounter bears. More people will like your near death experience story if you smell like roses vs. bear in the woods.;)

The .480 loaded with the heaviest hard-cast flat-nose the gun and you can shoot accurately. There's not another choice out of what you listed.

As others have said, ideally you should probably have a rifle or shotgun as your primary, but the reality is carrying a long gun everywhere is going to be a PITA not to mention there are things you are likely going to be doing where having a long gun may not be practical.

Besides, a holstered handgun is going to be easier and faster to draw and get up and running than unslinging a rifle or shotgun, shucking a round in the chamber ('cuz most folks have an aversion to hot chambers) and coming up on target is going to be.

I carry a Ruger Redhawk in .45 Colt in a Diamond D Guides Choice chest holster. I have it loaded with either my handloads of 21 gr of Lil Gun under a 335gr CP WFNGC or the same bullet over 24gr of H-110. Sometimes I buy local custom stuff to minimize my fly-out weight to the road system.

Now granted, it's mostly used as tent and sleeping bag security, but there are times when I'm either fishing or doing DLP investigations and need both hands that it'll be my primary.

pheasantpete

My 480 is 5 shooter not a six. I thought most revolvers of this size had 5 but I could be wrong as large revolvers are not my specialty

Mine is a six shooter.
See next post.

Last edited:
Here, I think I have it.

Attachments

• IMG_20140322_103235_297.jpg
    IMG_20140322_103235_297.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20140322_103455_039.jpg
    IMG_20140322_103455_039.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I want to modify my earlier statement (41 mag) which was biased toward personal protection verus the purpose of the hunt. If I were going in search of elk, I would take the 480 Ruger because I would prefer to take an elk with the 480 over a 30-06 if it was possible. For me it would be a lifetime opportunity and lifetime memory. Hence, even with the added bulk of the "large revolver", I would still take it over the 10mm bottom feeder. But I would choose the 6.5" BFR over my 9.5" SRH.

Back