Which gun for the end of the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M-16 with a a m-203 launcher on it, 10 HE rds, and 12 mags full, plus 2 battle packs, hee haw! full-auto plus night vision scopes,
maybe a RPG with 10 rds,:}

This is just my opinion but I'd rather have some good rifle, handgun, and shotgun training under my belt and have a good solid grasp of firearm fundamentals as well as the strengths and weaknesses of the major types, whether it's a rimfire rifle, .38 revolver, .45 ACP 1911, .308 bolt gun, or .223 AR-15.

I've always heard that guns availability usually isn't a problem in tough areas. Knowing how to use what's available (or what you just picked off the body of a bad guy you just klonged on the head with a softball bat) is the key. In other words, it's what's between your ears that saves your @$$.

Another way of putting it: If I had to choose between
-A guy who's had 30 hours of professional training with his SKS
-A guy who has $10,000 of any combination of fancy guns you can name but nothing more than a few weekends of plinking.

I'd pick the well-trained SKS dude to watch my back every time, because he knows what he can and cannot do.

Having said that, I'd like a .223 AR-15, a scoped .308 bolt gun, a .22 LR rifle, and a .45 ACP handgun. Might as well toss in a 12 gauge.

Edmund

USP 45acp
Mossberg 590 12 gauge with speed feed stock
H&K G3
5 bottles of scotch
5 bottles of wiskey
25 cases of beer
Oh and lots and lots of ammo for the above.

Any number of 12 gauge shotguns or military caliber rifles would make exellent tools to protect and feed one's family with in a time of crisis. Even a .22LR repeating rifle could make a sound choice. These are firearms a person is also likely to already own and be completely familiar with, in addition. However, this is a pistol forum and under most situations I would choose a pistol as my one and only gun. (More likely to have it when I need it.) A total collapse of society? No BATF? Then I'd like to get my hands on a Heckler&Koch MP5K-Personal Defense Weapon. (small select-fire 9mm submachinegun with folding stock and short threaded barrel, for a silencer I guess) It's almost a pistol :-) . Besides, just because it's the end of the world, doesn't mean you have to stop looking cool, right? Otherwise , my Beretta 92fs or Smith&Wesson M28 would be prime candidates. Proven accurate and reliable. Ammo and parts easy to get. The Beretta has night sights and preban mags. It's been fun reading and thinking about this.

[This message has been edited by JackNKoch (edited November 15, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back