Which Cartridge?

>.41 Magnum has me infatuated.

Well, duh....go for what you love. Besides, with the higher cost of ammo, you'll pay for your reloader quicker :)

Steve

Nightcrawler,

My vote here would have to go to Smith & Wesson's
wonderful 629-5 Classic .44 Magnum, with the 5"
barrel. Makes for a good trail gun, or with a
proper leather setup a good CCW gun.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Triton Ammo offers two .460 Rowland loads (HiVel and Quik-Shok).

230 grain bullets @ 1350 fps for 931 ft/lbs.

www.triton-ammo.com

If you will be doing more plinking than hunting then the D.W. revolver that can shoot .45 acp, .460, and everything in between sounds like a good deal.

A .357 mag revolver can shoot .38 specials, which are even cheaper than .45 acp. I'd say the .357 mag revolver (6 inch) would be your best bet.

If this will be used primarily for hunting then I say the .44 magnum.

Kilgor

I thought about this sort of question a lot. Basically my decision, if I were to do it all over again or make a recommendation to someone who wanted to buy one revolver instead of a half dozen, cuts on whether you choose to hunt or not. If you're going to hunt, get a Magnum in 41 or bigger. If you're not, and you're looking for a defensive gun, get a 4 inch 357, period. There is VERY little you can't do with a 4 inch 357.... but everybody's got an opinion. Ain't the world great? :)

"get a glock kid"

Yeah, a Glock is a LOT deadlier than a revolver because it's BLACK and PLASTIC, and BLACK + PLASTIC = TACTICAL!

I don't WANT a friggin' Glock. If you don't have anything to add to the conversation, you needn't inject a condescending opinion instead.

A revolver will kill you just as dead. And the "1900s" have only been over for two years.

Hmm. I think I'll add that the firing system of the Glock, the pseudo-double action only design, was originally seen in the Roth-Steyr pistol around World War One. So, yeah, we're talking state-of-the-art here.

Last edited:
Glocks are nice, 355 sigfan, but revolvers work just as well now as ever.

And nightcrawler, they do still make 45 Auto Rim, its just hard to find.

Do you live anywhere near GA? If so, go to any GA gunshow and you will find a company called Georgia Arms selling quality factory loaded ammo... they always have 45 Auto Rim, a 200g JHP moving at 850 fps.

GA? Nope..

...Northern Michigan. The only Gun Shows are small. They often have large ones down state, but that's like a 500 mile drive.

355SIGFAN, unless you expect a gang war (or some other type of war) a revolver will do just fine in capable hands. 1800's or 2000's personal conflict still doesn't require that much firepower. I carry a semi-auto only because I can shoot it the fastest and straightest of the guns I own, not because it holds more rounds.

>>This aint the 1900's anymore get a GLock kid. Revolvers are for
>>hunting and cow boy action shooting not much else.
>>PAT

Nope, I refuse to take the bait.

justinr1

"This aint the 1900's anymore get a GLock kid. Revolvers are for hunting and cow boy action shooting not much else."

WhatyoutalkingaboutWillis?

Sorry, don't mean to have ten people flaming this guy at once, I thought I was the only one going to, until I got to page 2. I won't add any reply to what he said.

Georgia Arms = Excellent Product at Great Prices.

They ship and are very reasonable on shipping. Check out www.georgia-arms.com For plinking ammo, click on "Canned Heat" For self defense ammo click on "Shear Power Plus"

I love Glocks... but if he wants a revolver, give him advise on a revolver.

Kilgor

I should just get .357 Magnum

...I really should. I even have a levergun in that cartridge. That's not really an issue, though, as I'm giving it away before too long, to get a friend of mine started in shooting. (It's not worth very much to sell, but she'll get a lot of use out of it, let her not shooting friends try it, etc. Spread the joy!)

I could get a 7 or 8 shot revolver in .357 Magnum, too.

But, why do I insist on bigger bore? I've only fired one hangun in my life, a Charles Daly .45 auto (low quality, sold it) that I owned for a few months (it was a private sale from a friend of mine, nice and legal). I've never fired a 9x19, a .357, a .44, or a .45 Colt. I don't have any friends that have handguns (my friends are almost all under 21, too, or they live far away) and there are no ranges around here where I can rent guns to try them out. So, whatever I buy, I'm going to be stuck with, so I want to be absolutely happy with it.

It's not that I doubt the power of .357 Magnum...I just seem to want a bigger hole in the end of my gun. *shrug* I have a year to think about this, it might change. There's nothing wrong with a medium bore pistol, so long as the bullet it fires can propell enough mass to enough velocity to do significant damage (basic physics). I've seen .357 Magnum loads that push 180 grains. Those Cor-Bon hunting rounds have some impressive performance out of a 16" barreled carbine, lemme tell you.

I don't know.

If you're looking for a bigger hole, I can't recommend the .44 more. Just fired my new SBH for the first time today, what a blast! Leaves big holes in anything. I was expecting horrendous kick, but out of this big revolver I bearly noticed it. Very tame actually, though I dunno about loads like Garrett's.. ;)

If you're looking for a cartridge that'll do about anything in a full-sized gun, the .44 would be it.

My 2 cents.. (mostly I just wanted to talk about my new gun. :D)

so I want to be absolutely happy with it.

Hahahahahaha!!!! You won't find that. No revolver does everything. A 4" .357 revolver is a Jack of All Trades. It does a lot of things well, but none great. There are smaller guns that are more concealable, guns that hold more rounds, guns that move more lead, more fast (something's wrong with that grammer ;) ) etc.

It sounds to me like what you want is a .44 magnum large frame gun and a .44 special snub nose.

I bought a 4" Smith and Wesson model 13 .357 and sold it a few months later. Great gun, but I wanted to push MAGNUM loads. So a Ruger will be next, either a Blackhawk or GP-100 6".

Go with what you think you want and don't let us talk you into a .357 mag, just because it's a great starter handgun for MOST people. You may not be most people. :D

Kilgor

hehe

This is what I love about TFL. They're taking an easy decesion and making it more difficult! LOL :)

.44 Magnum (or rather, .429 Magnum, hehe) is probably what I"m looking for. .45 Colt COULD be, but most loads are non-magnum, and I want MAGNUM! If I want non-magnum in a .44, I can fire .44 Spec loads.

I've found that I"m pretty good at adapting to new types of firearms that I've never fired before, so long as I practice. Reocil doesn't bother me much. And, I figure, if I teach myself pistolcraft on a .44 Magnum, then when I shoot a buddy's 9mm or something similar, it'll feel like it's not even there, whereas when he fires my .44, he's going to have trouble, and that's always good for the ego! :D

I suppose, though, what it'll come down to in the end is what I can find a good deal on in my area. I'm a college student, and though I'm going to be getting loads of benefits (USAF money from my late father, Nat'l Guard money) the vast majority of that has to go to my school. And then there's other expenses. I need a new car, for instance.

When I'm 22, I'll be getting a piece of a trust fund I was left. It'll be about 26000 dollars. After I've paid off my college bills and any loans I may have taken out, I suppose THEN I'll worry about buying dream guns. Until then, it's whatever I can find for a good price in the local gun stores. It's time to start being realistic.

Besides. Heh. Going to the shops, looking around, finding deals is half the fun of shopping, is it not?

If you want a big hole, just get an accurate .22, and shoot the target a bunch of times. This isn't the 1900s anymore, nobody needs anything bigger than a .22.:)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

first gun

In a modern smith revolver all of the parts that affect timeing are made of the same material except for the notches in the cylinder and I believe the ratchet pad,the hand ,trigger,hammer are made of the same material whether the gun is blued or stainless ninety nine times out of a hundred if a revolver is out of time it is the hand that is worn,on late model smiths with the new style hammer and trigger I have noticed sloppy hammer to hammer pin relationships which makes it hard to time the gun for both right handed and left handed fireing if the hand ratchets the cylinder far enough to engage the cylinder notches while fireing left handed you get some cylinder cramp while fireing right handed therefore the first guns leaving the factory with these new style parts were timed perfectly for a left handed shooter for liability reasons this is only my theory hopefuly s=w will rectify the situation, If anyone has a late model smith that feels like it has a hitch right at the end of the double action trigger pull try it left handed and I will bet its gone,I have noticed this on two late model smiths I have had the opportunity to play with.

Back