Which Cartridge?

Nightcrawler

*sigh*

Here I go again. I can't buy a pistol until next gun when I'm 21, and here I am worrying myself about which cartridge I want my revolver in.

.357 Magnum would be the most obvious choice. Ammo is cheap, abundant, common, and it's probably the least punishing on the shooter. Plus, I can get wheelguns in 7 and 8 round capacities. However, probably thanks to reading Jeff Cooper's writings, I find myself desiring a bigger bore, though I don't doubt the stopping power of .357 Magnum.

.41 Magnum has me infatuated. More power than .357, but available in smaller carry guns, unlike .44 Magnum. The ammo costs more, but it would appeal to my sense of being different.

.44 Magnum is a great all-rounder cartridge, available in extremely powerful or terribly anemic loadings. It's available everywhere, also. But I'd have to get my snubby carry gun in .44 Special, as obviously, a .44 Magnum snubby would be a bit...much...

.45 Colt is a great cartridge, available in full size and snubby revolvers. I have a liking for the forty five caliber. The downside is that almost all factory loadings for .45 Colt are comparable to its black powder ancestors a hundred years ago. The manufacturers are terrified that somebody will put a high pressure load into their old SAA and lose some fingers, though a simple warning on the box would negate liability, most likely.

.45 ACP? Yes, .45ACP! I'm planning on getting a Dan Wesson, as I like the near-custom design of their guns. Their 460 model allows you to fire .45ACP, .45ACP +P+, .45 Auto Rim, .45 Super, .45 Win Mag, and .460 Rowland from the same gun. .45ACP ammo is cheaper and available in bulk, as well.

So? What's the score, TFL? What do y'all think I should get?

SIDE NOTE: Damn, I wish Taurus would make a 5-shot .45ACP snubby to compliment their .44 Special and .45 Colt models. They'd probably sell well, and it'd make a great backup to a fellow carrying a .45 auto pistol.

BTW

Oh, yeah. Let's assume I get the DW 460 model. Where can I get moon clips (for .45ACP and .45 Win Mag) and where can I find .45 Super ammunition? Is there even a factory loading for .460 Rowland? I don't think there is....

When I wanted my first "big bore" revolver I was asking very similar questions. I'm only talking Smiths here, because I know them better than the Taurus line. Here are some considerations:

45 ACP in N-frame revolver, either a 625 5 inch or a 4 inch mountain gun version.

44 special 5 shoot L-frame, 3 inch, but that is not full size, is it.

45 Colt in 6 inch or the 4-inch mountain gun version. Don't underestimate the power of these "anemic" loads. A 250 grain bullet at 900 fps is nothing to sneeze at.

A 686 / 586 357 6 inch. It will be hard to find a reason to not want to do that.

A 610 10 mm in 6-1/2 inch. That's different.

A 629 44 mag in 6 inch. 4 inch does not due the cartridge justice when you are talking full size.

There are eight choices right there.

justinr1

Maby a sleeper..........Lew Horton 3" Model 29 round butt. Carries like a little snubby (sorta) but full strength six hole .44mag. Not easy to find but there are a few out there. Mostly hardly ever fired.

I loved my 696 3" .44spec but it didn't like a lot of shootin.

Sam

Sam, that 696 5 shoot 44 spl. I seriously considered getting one of those pups. Was the 44 spl. too much for the L frame? I would have thought no. Can you elaborate? I'd like to know.

justinr1

Justinr!......My beloved 696 3" is back at Smith for autopsy and factory decision. Can't really say till it's official. It was barely pre agreement and had been retimed three times before it plum broke. Less than a thousand rounds total. I can say it probably wasn't a frame problem.

Been a bad year for me n stainless Smiths. My snub 686 plum wore out in a couple years, less than thirty thousand rounds.

Round butt 19 replaced the 686 but sweatin the program on the 696.......hope to get a round butt snub 29 but not sure how I will get along with the large frame. Bet I can't wear one out tho.

Sam

Sam, they are not kidding about timing problems in non-six guns, are they? I would have thought that Smith would have completely thought out a 5 shot in an L frame. Still, that was a new concept. I've heard some people complain about 7 shots not feeling completely right. I still, however, think Smith has got a lot of guts to come out with these new guns. They are clearly the best of the big 3. No wait, Colt isn't playing anymore is it? That only leaves Ruger. Too bad.

I've read your posts on your analysis of stainless Smiths. I guess I'm going to have to pay more attention. Still, it is very difficult to get blue Smiths in the configuration you want. I'm sure you know that better than I. Take care.

justinr1

My advice is to start off with the .357 Mag.

It's an exceptionally versatile round, and you can put some REAL Full Tilt & Bogie rounds through it that will wake up the dead. :)

No, it doesn't have the recoil of the .41 or the .44 Mags., but you know, there are times when that's just not that bad of a thing.

I've got a .41 Mag., and if I'm shooting it wtih Remington 210-gr. JSP, it just becomes downright painful to shoot after about 30 rounds.

With a .357 Mag. and stout loads, I can shoot closer to 100 before I start to get beaten up.

For a first revolver, I would go with the 357 mag also. It is extremely versatile, and ammo is cheap and abundant. I would go with a 4 inch barrelled S&W model 66 or 686 or Colt Python.

hmmm

S&W? Only if I can find a used one. I don't think I can *afford* a Python.

I've thought about a Taurus. I like the Taurus Tracker. Not exactly full size, but it's got a 4" barrel and a 7 round cylinder. I'm getting the stainless version, if I got that, though. The Titanium costs more, and I think too little weight in a magnum revolver is not a good thing. I like the Taurus 608 8-shot revolver too.

Nightcrawler, by all means, go used if you go for S&W!!!

I know Pythons are more, and you are mainly paying for the python "mystique" so to speak. But they will also gain value more rapidly than S&W's.

S&W 66's and 686's are very nice guns, and would be great for your purposes it sounds like. You can easily find used ones in near perfect condition at gun shows, without even trying hard to find them.

There isnt going to be much price difference between a used S&W and a new Taurus really, and the S&W is a better gun and will hold its value better.

It depends.

Do you reload?

If you do, go for the SW 610 in 10mm and you can also shoot semi auto's like the Witness 10mm, the Glock 20/29, or the Megastar. It's ballistics are a tad better than the .357 magnum and you can shoot it in revolver and semi auto.

Or for real smack down, go 44 mag or 45 Long Colt. Will solidly take down a deer up to an elk. And the 44 mag is real flat shooting and accurate out to 75-80 yards for most good shooters with finely tuned reloads.

10mm or 44 mag!

.357 Mag is so very versatile. I would go with Mike et al and make it first choice. Even if you don't reload, plenty of choices of inexpensive .38spec. If you roll your own, they work well with super light loads on up to screamin monster loads. If you have a less than large framed .357 I wouldn't recommend a steady diet of factory .357s and would definately stay away from silhouette loads. The really heavy stuff shoud be fired in large framed strong guns. Though I revere Smiths (pre agreement) I think one should go with either big Ruger of Dan Wesson for shootin the realy heavy stuff.

.44 Mag is probably just as versatle what with bein able to use .44 Special....but they are quite a bit more expensive to feed, whether you load or buy factory ammo.

I don't think number of chambers that much of a factor in timing problems with the later smiths. I think it is material used and quality control. I have had first run 36s that ate lots of anything layin around with little or no problems. One in hip pocket right now. A gunsmith friend has seen a LOT of out of time brand new smiths and a lot that have gone out of time rather rapidly. He also has noted that most of the guns he sees with timing problems are stainless.

Sam

Definately 357 Magnum. Not only can it get you through just about any gunfight, but you can always plink with 38spls or go to them if the 357 proves too stout.

If you can find them, try a Colt King Cobra. Good friend of mine bought one used a few years ago, and is having the time of his life developing new loads for it-everything between snakeshot to sillouette stuff. It seems sturdy enough, has a nice trigger and handles well.

.45 ACP

Dan Wesson makes their 460 model in .45 ACP. .45 Auto is cheap, available everywhere in bulk, easy to shoot, and is hard hitting. But if I should want MORE oomph, that same revolver will also handle .45 Super (though I don't know where to get a box of .45 Super) and .45 Winchester Magnum (it's expensive, but I know several places that stock it). I must admit, this gun has me interested. It's "different". A revolver that fires auto rounds. It can also use three types of ammunition (five if I count .45 Auto Rim, which I don't think they make anymore, and .460 Rowland, which I don't think any factory loads).

Now, like I said, if only somebody would make a five shot .45ACP snubby. :)

Back