Which bullet for defensive ammunition?

I have seen numerous videos where this indeed happened. Performed identical to FMJ ball in Gelatin behind double denim. I am pretty sure the 125 is a .357 Sig bullet.

I have seen numerous videos where this indeed happened. Performed identical to FMJ ball in Gelatin behind double denim. I am pretty sure the 125 is a .357 Sig bullet.
I called Sierra and they seem pretty sure that the 125 won't have any trouble expanding at the velocities I am shooting.

I finished testing them today. I ended up right at Hodgdon's max charge of CFE Pistol for a 125 grain jacketed bullet. I am using Federal gold metal match small pistol magnum primers instead of standard primers though. New Winchester brass. COAL is 1.050". I had to load them that short due to the short ogive of that bullet. Any longer and they were sticking into the barrel of my Hellcat Pro. They chamber fine for the rest of my guns.

In my 4.5" Walther PDP average velocity was 1191 fps with a SD of 6.2, ES of 16.
My 4" PDP 1161 fps, SD 5.3, ES 17
Hellcat Pro 1130 fps, SD 5.2, ES 16
Glock 43x 1090 fps, SD 9.3, ES 31
Canik TP9SA Mod 2 1177 fps, SD 11.4, ES 46.

I found it interesting that the Canik and Glock had SD and ES numbers significantly higher than the two Walther's and the Springfield.

My opinion, use a commercially loaded round for self defense. You can't afford the lawyer fees otherwise. Make a practice round that is similar. You frankly don't want to be in the position of defending your own handloads against an army of lawyers.

I called Sierra and they seem pretty sure that the 125 won't have any trouble expanding at the velocities I am shooting.

I finished testing them today. I ended up right at Hodgdon's max charge of CFE Pistol for a 125 grain jacketed bullet. I am using Federal gold metal match small pistol magnum primers instead of standard primers though. New Winchester brass. COAL is 1.050". I had to load them that short due to the short ogive of that bullet. Any longer and they were sticking into the barrel of my Hellcat Pro. They chamber fine for the rest of my guns.

In my 4.5" Walther PDP average velocity was 1191 fps with a SD of 6.2, ES of 16.
My 4" PDP 1161 fps, SD 5.3, ES 17
Hellcat Pro 1130 fps, SD 5.2, ES 16
Glock 43x 1090 fps, SD 9.3, ES 31
Canik TP9SA Mod 2 1177 fps, SD 11.4, ES 46.

I found it interesting that the Canik and Glock had SD and ES numbers significantly higher than the two Walther's and the Springfield.
The problem is not expanding at velocities you shooting. The problem is not expanding after penetrating the FBI clothing standard.

I have been thinking. The Hornady flex tip bullet works so well because the rubber insert in the tip of the bullet prevents it from filling with clothing or other materials and clogging, thus preventing expansion. I am curious if I filled the tips of the Sierra V-Crown with wax or liquid silicone, if this would serve the same purpose? Of course, there is the possibility that the silicone or wax would have the opposite effect. I think it is an idea worth testing though. I guess I better break down and buy some gel blocks and set up a few tests, similar to what the FBI uses to test the standard bullet vs bullets with the cavity filled with wax.

Am I way off base with this idea? Obviously I would not do this on a large scale. I am just bored and want to prevent these from not expanding in the event I need them

Back