• Winchester Model 70

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Something else

Votes: 27 44.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
FN SPR is the closest thing you'll find to a M70 .223 right now. I don't know why Winchester dropped the .223, maybe because it was to simplify manufacturing by only needi g to make two different bolt faces.

Thanks Taylorforce1, I agree it is the closest thing but it is ugly and heavy and I don't think I can find one over here in Europe.

ATB,

Scrummy

Based on my personal hands-on experience, if I were going European, it would be with a Sako 85 or Tikka T3.

The CZ seems to be a fine rifle and gets great reviews, however I've not owned nor shot one.

For US makes, The Weatherby Vanguard or a Savage 10.

I recently picked up a Mossberg MVP Varmint. There is a lot to like about this rifle. Though I'm unable to confirm it, it appears the 24" fluted bull barrel is likely an ER Shaw. The trigger once adjusted out is sublime, with a crisp 2.7# brake with almost no over travel (this will most likely clean up with use). It's ability to use AR magazines is wonderful. In 200 rounds, I've had zero FTF and zero FTE. Its accuracy compares favorably with my Tikka and Savage.

There are some annoyances, but no real problems with the rifle. The length of pull on the varmint stock as supplied from the factory is for a diminutive individual at a little over 13". This is easily rectified by adding spacers or a slip on pad.

The bolt. If a Tikka T3's bolt is a Bentley Mulsanne, the Mossberg MVP's bolt is a farm tractor. It's gritty, rough and forceful. But it is extremely positive and feeds and extracts cartridges with vigor.

Back