• Winchester Model 70

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Something else

Votes: 27 44.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi Husqvarna, as a Brit living in Geneva my choices are somewhat limited ;)

Though a host of ARs would be nice...

In another question, why oh why did Winchester stop the model 70 in .223? Ruger makes a Mauser action in that chambering, why can't Winchester?

(I'm not fussy, I only want exactly what I want :p )

Scrumbag,

I would highly recommend the CZ 527 Varmint with the 1:9 twist.
I have one with the Kevlar stock and it shoots 69 grain Sierra # 1380 bullets with H4895 powder just under 0.5 inches at 100 yards on average for 27 measured groups with a best load average of 0.378. No problem with hunting with the CZ. It is light and easily carried, even with the varmint barrel.

It shoots 40 grain Noslers BT to an average of 0.298 over 15 groups and 52 grain Sierra Match Kings to an average of 0.383 over 72 groups with a best load average of 0.201. Both were with Vihta Vuori N133 powder that you should be able to get in Europe pretty easily.

My son has a Savage 10 FCP-K in .223 that shoots just about the same way.
It is quite a bit heavier than the CZ, but then it is intended as a law enforcement rifle and has a 26 inch barrel with its flash hider.

No problem with either a CZ or a Savage from my experience.

Thanks Rimfire5! I've finally found a place with both the 527 in American and Varmint Configurations so I shall go and have a play later on this week and probably come home with one of them.

(I must admit though, at just over 7lbs the varmint is hardly a heavyweight)

Already got the scope I'm going to use so itching to find a rifle for it!

ATB,

Scrummy

I am leaning toward a Savage with accu trigger and accu stock, what is your thoughts on this ?

The Savage gets my vote, even though it's not a Mauser action.

As for the Accu-Stock I have no first hand experience with it so I'm of no help on that one.

I've been thinking real hard about another 223 rifle and the Savage (catalog # 19126) is at the head of pack in my choice.

For the OP's needs the Savage (catalog # 18886) may be the best choice, it's second on my list.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Since you are living in Europe I would think the CZ and Tikka/Sako rifles would be a natural choice. I have a sako A7 that easily shoots 3/4" groups and my SIL has a Tikka T3 in .223 that is also very accurate. Tikka makes both a varmint version with a 1:12 twist and another one with a 1:8 rifling twist rate that would be perfect for the 63 gr bullets. Light crisp trigger, super smooth bolt, lightweight.

Scrumbag,

Remember that only the CZ Varmint has a 1:9 twist.

All the other CZs have a 1:12 twist, at least they used to have.

Be sure to check the twist on the American.

NWPilgrim, yes in someways CZ or the Tikka/Sako are the most natural choice but that other great European brand Winchester (FN... :P) has a strong place in my heart.

Rimfire 5, according to CZs European Website, the American has 1:9 twist: http://www.czub.cz/en/catalog/364-centerfire-rifles-cz/KL/CZ_527_AMERICAN.aspx

The CZ-USA Website has the American listed as a 1:12 (http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-527-american/)

This has got me a little concerned now. One to check out. Will report back.

ATB,

Scrummy

And a few moments ago, straight from the horses mouth:

"Dear Sir,
Thank you for your interest in rifles made by Ceska zbrojovka a.s.
I can assure you that in this case there is no discrepancy. The different twist rate is based on demands of our customers in the U.S. and Europe. Anyway we plan to unify the twist rate for the .223 Rem. cal. to be 1 : 9.
Anyway, for your convenience the website of our company business representative in Switzerland is: http://www.glaser-handels.ch/de/index.html

Yours faithfully,

MILAN KUBELE
MARKETING

ČESKÁ ZBROJOVKA A.S.
SVATOPLUKA ČECHA 1283
688 27 UHERSKÝ BROD, CZECH REPUBLIC
Fax : +420 572 633 811
Mail : INFO@CZUB.CZ
WWW.CZUB.CZ

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2013 9:55 AM
To: czub-ots@cite.cz
Subject: Technical enquiry

Jméno: xxxx

Příjmení: xxxx

Ulice: xxxx

Město: Geneva

Země: Switzerland

PSČ/ZIP: 1207

E-mail: xxxxx

Telefon: xxxxx

Předmět: Technical enquiry

Informace o produktu

Označení modelu: CZ527 American (223Rem)

Zpráva:

Dear Sir or Madam

I have found a discrepancy in the specifications between CZs US and European websites

According to CZ's European Website, the CZ527 American (.223Rem) has 1:9 twist: http://www.czub.cz/en/catalog/364-centerfire-rifles-cz/KL/CZ_527_AMERICAN.aspx

The CZ-USA Website has the CZ527 American (.223Rem) listed as a 1:12 (http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-527-american/)

Is the CZ527 American sold with different twist rates in different markets? Or is one of the websites incorrect? I would like to know as I would like to purchase a 527 with a 1:9 twist for heavier bullets.

I would appreciate a prompt response on this as I would like to make a purchase soon.

Kind regards,"

And a few moments ago, straight from the horses mouth:

"Dear Sir,
Thank you for your interest in rifles made by Ceska zbrojovka a.s.
I can assure you that in this case there is no discrepancy. The different twist rate is based on demands of our customers in the U.S. and Europe. Anyway we plan to unify the twist rate for the .223 Rem. cal. to be 1 : 9.
Anyway, for your convenience the website of our company business representative in Switzerland is: http://www.glaser-handels.ch/de/index.html

Yours faithfully,

MILAN KUBELE
MARKETING

That is great info. I just got the CZ .223 Varmint. Deadly accurate. It has the 1:9 twist. I would like an American with open sights as well.

I shot 35 gr all the way up to 75 grain. All good! Even shot 5.56 NATO. All good.

photo+3.JPG

photo+2.JPG

photo+1.JPG

photo+3.JPG

photo.JPG

Got over 100 rounds through mine last week!

Happy to be of help SirG.

Hoping to pick mine up in a couple of weeks. Have scope, itching to get it mounted.

Did you get the new style bolt handle? Alsom what rings and scope combo? Am going with a 3-9x36 on mine

If you want an American with irons they'll have to be aftermarket though I think.

ATB,

Scrummy

I saw a new American made rifle ad on tv, it is in 223 and takes ar-15 mags. i'm not sure if it is Mossberg or savage or some other make but I like the idea of the ar-15 mags fitting.

I voted 'other'. I can't say that I'm the most experienced bolt gun shooter, so I don't have a complete range of knowledge of all of the competitors. But I can say that when I took delivery of my Tikka LH Sporter in .308 I was stunned at how smooth the action was, the excellent trigger, and the repeatability on paper. Granted the Sporter is supposed to be a half-step up in the Tikka line and it's too heavy to be carried very far, but it's principally different in the barrel with much of the rest being the same as the T3.
And I am also thinking of buying the left hand Hunter in .223. They have a 1:8 and a 1:12 btw.
B

Happy to be of help SirG.

Hoping to pick mine up in a couple of weeks. Have scope, itching to get it mounted.

Did you get the new style bolt handle? Alsom what rings and scope combo? Am going with a 3-9x36 on mine

If you want an American with irons they'll have to be aftermarket though I think.

ATB,

Scrummy

I put a Leupold VX-R 4x12 30mm tube. I used the CZ rings after trying the CZ weaver rail and weaver style mounts finding that to be way to high.

I did use the CZ modified bolt handle. Clearance is good. I will put the original back on to see if it clears too.

Oh, I meant to say a CZ 527 Carbine in .223 REM, if that has a 1:9 twist I am all over that!

I have a savage precision carbine in 223 and 308 and both are unreal shooters. They have the accustock and accutrigger and all ya need to do is put some good optics on it and you'd be amazed by the groups you'll get. But to be honest with ya you cant go wrong with just about any of these suggestions.

Savage with AccuTrigger and/or Vanguard. Take your pick. Each is a tackdriver with the right ammo. I can shoot 5 shot groups that can be covered with a nickel at 100yds. with either one.

Being a senior citizen I am looking for a new rifle that is not too heavy but is extremely accurate. A good barrel but not necessarily heavy bull barrel. I thought I was settled on a Savage but after reading this entire thread I may look at CZ as well.
I want a good stock, good trigger, good barrel. I am looking for a good out of the box 223 with no need to change anything.
I did see a Remington 700 BDL in 223 used with a scope for $800.00 but I am not sure about Remington and that maybe kind of high for a used rifle.

Last edited:
Ruger 77 Hawkeye Compact. Mine is a great shooter and light weight even with a small 3x9 scope. Great varmint and small game gun.

Back