Which American brand would you reach for?

Which brand would you select?

• Remington

Votes: 11 9.9%
  • Browning

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Speer

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • Federal

Votes: 55 49.5%
  • Winchester

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • Hornady

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • Blazer

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PushPuller

The results from the non American brands poll was really interesting to me and had a lot broader input than I though it would. Now I'm curious what your guys opinions on American ammunition manufacturers. If you could only choose one American brand for the rest of your life, which would it be?

This isn't caliber specific because quality control on American brands seems to be a lot more consistent across calibers but if one caliber preforms better than an other in the same brand feel free to explain. but for ease lets stick with handgun calibers.

I went with Remington, and Federal for my choices. No real reason for the preference other than they are the two most commonly used brands my family uses and has used for decades with no issues. Ya know? what's not broken don't fix kind of thing.

Last edited:
What is this handgun ammo? I would choose federal and then count on doing a lot of reloading to fill the gaps in available loads and quality.

Hornady makes great ammo, where low volume with precision and performance count. I could buy the components if I had to.

I refuse to take a poll where I am inclined to choose Federal over Hornady. That is very misleading.

I dont see CCI. I guess the bulk heads would only know the company as Blazer? Do components even count? Primers?

Some one just choose Remington! OMG.

I dont see CCI. I guess the bulk heads would only know the company as Blazer? Do components even count? Primers?

Components can count if something is worth noting. I also didn't put CCI because I feel like Blazer is better known by the average shooter and non-reloaders.

I only shoot factory ammo for self defense so that is what my choice is based on:

Speer Gold Dot
Federal HST

With the Federal HST being slightly superior IMO.

For only one, make mine Speer. Their 124 9mm Lawman series is great for practice and their Gold Dots are excellent. Same for 38/357

I chose Ferderal and Hornady. But I do buy others depending on need and end use. For example I would choose other brands for my lever guns and different for my rifle versus revolver.

I could be happy with federal or hornady, I gave the vote to hornady though if having to choose just one. I've had nothing but problems with Remington though, would be the last American ammo a buy

I seldom buy factory loaded ammunition. Both Winchester and Federal have given me the best service for the brass, each giving me the most reloads out of one lot of brass. However, Winchester seems to meet the needs I have for loaded ammunition. The two brands are very close.

As to components, the old Remington .44 caliber bullet, a 240 gr. semi-jacketed hollow point, was a superb JHP for loading in the .44 Magnum as well as in the .44 Special.

Bob Wright

Speer and Federal for me. I can find Gold Dots in 50rd boxes. Everyone else seems to offer their ammo in 20rd packaging.

Ammo seems pretty much like gasoline for the car. I buy the least expensive per round. You either blow it out the exhaust or blow it out the barrel.

Yea, for certain of the guns I have my preferences.

David :)

I choose none of the above. I don't shoot factory ammo in anything.

Therefore, I did not vote as my choice is not on the list.

I voted Federal, but Hornady is a very close second and Blazer makes a solid third.

See, Federal has the best priced most consistent 9mm I've ever experienced with their 115gr 9mm fmj. Hornady gets my vote for quality and covering the less popular calibers. I buy the Hornady lever evolution in 35 Remington and the Hornady vintage match 8mm Mauser. CCI Blazer has taken my 22rimfire spotlight with solid groups and above average reliability and solid uniformity.

Mostly Freedom Ammo ( new, not reman).
Speer Lawman 124gr
Nothing steel or aluminum cased.
Brass cased at .20 cent or lower per round.

I've found Winchester and Remington to be a bit dirtier than others and stay away from them. Have had no issues with aluminum cased ammo and will shoot it if I get good prices.

Back