Which 9mm Glock?

Id go down to a shop that might have a bunch of differernt models and see what feels good in your hand and see what you think. Better yet, get out and shoot a couple. Good luck thse days though.

I have 17's, 19's and 26's, and much prefer the 17's and 26's over the 19's. Never really saw the point to them, even though I have a couple.

I carry a 17 daily, and its not at all hard to do. They really aren't all that big.

If you stay within the same basic groups, (17/19/26 etc) you really only need to buy the larger guns accessories, holsters, mags, etc. The larger guns mags and holsters fit the smaller guns. I use 17 (or larger) mags for all my reloads.

Personally, other than a set of three dot night sights, and depending on the Gen and frame texture, maybe a stipple job, I wouldnt modify the gun, and especially the internals.

I need an aggressive grip texture, and prefer the Gen3 RTF2 finish, or a stipple job. A lot of people dont seem to like things that rough.

Your best bet is still to try and get a hold of a couple and try them out. Only way to really know.

JMR40, exactly what I’ve been doing the last few months when I don’t feel like carrying my Glock 45.

d747aa1eead447bf6b3113163afae73a.jpg

G19. I almost purchased this one but ended up with a S&W m&p 2.0 9mm instead. May get a G19 in the future

Sold my 19 because I bought the M&P 2.0; better ergonomics for my hand

I would say get the G19 gen5 with Ameriglos unless you have larger hands and prefer a longer grip like I do in which case go with a G17 gen5 or G45.

The G48 with well vetted Shield 15 round mags with the plus springs and their mag release would also be a good option if the grip gives you enough real estate to shoot it well.

You can't go wrong with a Glock 19, but if was going to be carrying it a lot I'd be tempted to go with the 43X or 48.

Gen3 RTF2 finish? I have one my IDPA gun. But that rough finish was really rough. So I trotted out my Dremel tool and ground the heck out of it.
My Buddys at the club called sacrilege! But a pistol is no good as a tool if it hurts to shoot it.
Every few years I send both slides back to TruGlo, replace the green bits, for match use, you need the extended slide lock (Release) so they are on both, the short Pierce butt plug helps in quick mag changes.
Neither one has ever malfunctioned.
My Gen 4 G19 has not one blemish on it! No, I do not throw them in mud and stuff either. The Gen 4 is my carry gun.
With a G17 spare mag, and a new SurFire Flash Light #F172199 first press of the base button, low light, second press a Search Light!
I normally use a modified Glock $13 Holster. All cut up. 4-30 PM position.
One thing to note, all kinds of Spec Ops chaps carry the G19. At 85 YOA, I don't fancy myself as Rambo!

I guess what the grip finish feels like is all perception and what your hands are like, roughness wise. My hands are rough and calloused and I always thought the RTF2 was the perfect finish. A good, aggressive texture that locks the gun in your hand, wet, damp, or dry.

The guns I stipple have a very similar feel to them and similar to the skateboard tape texture. The stippling process does tend to"swell" the grip a bit though. Nothing bad, but its noticeable when you compare it to the RTF2 and other guns.

Hey, at least with the plastic guns, you have the option to stipple them on your own. For me, everything else gets skateboard tape.

I just answered the question of which Glock to get. I bought a Gen3 17. There wasn't enough size difference for me to get the 19. I have a S&W model D9VE that is supposed to be about the same size as the Glock 19 so I have that covered.

If I were really concerned about the size I would get a model 26 Glock and add the extended mag like poster #24 did. Thats about perfect for a carry gun. And the 10 round mag option just makes it even better.

I haven't shot my new Glock yet but I have shot my buds Gen1 17 and his 10mm so I know what I have. The only thing I don't like on my gun is the mag release. Its a little hard to reach and activate. I may buy and install an extended mag release.

I would recommend the 19X. The night sights and the extended mags are already there, and to me its just a real good shooter. Ignore all the doo dads that come in the box.

G19 all the way. modifications.... don't tinker with the internals. Add a light, I like the streamlights. Get an extended mag. No not the 33. get a 19rnd mag (19+1, 20 in the gun) for the night stand. Its not giant and akward like the 33s. You will need either a G17 (17rnd) mag with a +2 extension, or a G19x extended (same thing different name).

Also get one with night sights if you can swing it. they are excellent and if it will reside in a night stand for bumps in the night you need to be able to see your sights, and see what you shooting at, hence the light.

This is my personal opinion... this is also what's in my night stand... it shoots very well, carries well with 15rnd mags in the gun, and I would not want to be on the other end of it.

The Glock 43 9mm seems like a good choice. It is a very small weapon, and it would not please everyone, but I like it myself. It would be a fantastic carry gun or bedroom table piece.

My sister bought one, with some advice from me. And if she ever wants to sell it, I would take it.

Last edited:
IMHO, If you want a rail, go for the G19. If you don’t need a rail, the G26 can do just about everything a G19 can do as well as be more compact and easier to carry. If you want a full size grip just use a G19 or G17 mag with one of those sleeves.

To each his own, but I’m not a fan of my edc gun doubling as my home protection gun. My edc gun needs to be just that. Small and concealable enough to be able to throw on my hip or in my pocket with little to no printing, while my home protection gun needs to be powerful enough and hold enough rounds to be able to stop any threat that’s entering my home to harm myself and my family. This is not to say that I wont reach for my edc gun if its more convenient given the situation.

I laugh at some of these guys who claim that they wont leave the house with anything less than a full size that holds less than 15+ rounds while carrying back up mags. What are the chances of you needed that many shots to stop a random threat? If 6-7 shots doesn’t stop/eliminate your threat, you’re more than likely screwed anyway.

If your budget permits and your dead set on Glock as your weapon, I’d go for the G43 for a carry weapon and the G19 for home protection. I previously owned a gen5 G19 and it certainly is a great gun. For myself, it just wasn’t ideal for an edc due to the size and climate of where I reside. I’m pretty much in shorts and a T everyday.

Since I had some Glock mags 24 and 33 round, I went out and bought me a 2nd gen Kel tec sub2k for my home protection weapon and sold the G19 and purchased a Sig p365 for its concealment capabilities. It was between that and the G43, and being a bit biased, I almost went for the G43. The Glock was coming in at $40 more than the Sig but the Sig holds 4 more rounds than the Glock out of the box while being slightly smaller and felt better in my hand.

Go out and feel/shoot both.

My choice is the Glock 19. I also have a 34 in the safe. Ridiculous out of the box accuracy and breakdown for cleaning. I considered a 43x, but 4" is the shortest I'll go in 9mm.

I laugh at some of these guys who claim that they wont leave the house with anything less than a full size that holds less than 15+ rounds while carrying back up mags. What are the chances of you needed that many shots to stop a random threat? If 6-7 shots doesn’t stop/eliminate your threat, you’re more than likely screwed anyway.
Meh. I often have to wonder what those people who carry what I call "back up" guns, as a primary, are thinking too.

One thing Ive rarely, if ever have seen, are those same people who insist you only need "x" number of rounds to solve "everything", actually running any kind of drills, from how they carry those little guns in practice.

Seems 5-7 yards in slowfire, and tight little groups, tells you everything, and youre good to go.

I suppose we all hvae our own realities, based on what we know. And the more you know, the clearer things become.

Back