Which 9mm Glock?

ATN082268

I am contemplating getting a 9mm Glock for carry and a nightstand gun. I would like to know what model you would recommend plus any modifications to the gun. Thank you.

Picking a handgun to carry, for self-protection, is one big decision to make.
I have seen individuals spend a slew of cash, just picking a holster.

Glock have a slew of 9mm pistols, hundreds! The main point, what can you comfortably conceal, in the clothes you wear every day, to work, to church a restaurant, to just about anywhere. Glock 19 /Glock 43X. For a start, test fire at whichever company allows you to do that. Extended slide release, night sights. Extras that will do to start.
Safety glasses, electronic ear muffs. Good to go.

For CC & nightstand duty, either G19 or G48 (with Shield Arms 15-round mags). Large enough to shoot well, small enough to conceal.

If you enjoy working with your firearms, I would take a look at a P80, G19 kit.

Ill put a link at the bottom so you can see the different models. Brownells and Midway, as well as many other mail order catalog companies offer the P80 kits.

We started out with a G19 'Frame Kit'. Its P80 part number is PF940C. P80 offers kits for the Glock models; G17, G19 and G26. There are some additional variations in the kits such as a 'longslide', a singlestack and a .45acp model. Once you have chosen the kit that you intend to build, you add a Barrel and Slide along with a Slide Parts Kit and a Frame Parts Kit. This provides all the small parts to assemble.

My older Son bought us the P80 frame kits for the G19 as Christmas presents a couple years back. It was not too difficult to complete the kits, actually it was alot of fun among the 3 of us! The only real difference between the P80 kit and the factory Glock G19 is the Grip Angle. The P80 Grip Angle follows the 1911. All of the internal parts which were in the frame and slide kits were from Glock.

I have fired at least 2500rds of 9mm thru my p80, and its just gets smoother and more accurate as we go. I like the pistol and had alot of fun building it with my Son's. There are plenty of instructional videos on You Tube if your curious. We went with traditional parts to keep the cost down. If you want a slide that accepts a Red Dot sight, with a fancy barrel and stylized slide, the sky is the limit...

Here is a link to P80,
https://www.polymer80.com/pistols

I have the G26 which is very easy to carry. For home use you can use a number of different capacity magazines ranging from 10 to 33. As for modifications not sure GLOCKs really need much help as they tend to be very reliable out of the box.

First to the comment on building your own, I would rank what a reasonable person would find circumventing majority supported laws as:
1: Bump stock
2: Braces to make SBS/SBR
3: Build your own 80% kit guns
I wouldn't expect those to last in the legal grey forever. And it really is okay with me too as all are accomplished with legal means.

You have other options too. As a person that has owns everything but a Glock 19, the P99 and PPQ is cheaper and nicer all around--clear winner of the market right now. VP9 is 2nd place, Canik TP9 series copies the Walther PPQ/P99 sear/housing and is almost to the feel of the Walthers, APX is cheapest, M&P 2.0 seems to get some love for a better angle than Glock.

I think the Glock 19 wins for overall smallest size 4" barrelled handgun. However, I can put a factory 15rnd mag in my P365 and have a smaller gun with a better trigger.

If you are considering the Glock 43, I wouldn't. The P365 has a better feel, trigger, and capacity.

I do not care for the Glock trigger. No amount of parts is going to make it like the VP9/PPQ. It simply can't happen.

Glock 19 if you are set on a Glock though.

There is one board where mention of any pistol will get you: "That is a good gun but what you really need is a Glock 19."

Although I am not super Glock fan boy, the Glock 19 is probably the best single handgun you can buy. It’s array of features, price, history, durability and parts availability combined with the fact that it is perfectly at home as either a concealed firearm or a comfortable full grip shooter.

I don’t recommend building yourself or dorking around with lots of aftermarket parts. Ditch the “dovetail protectors” and put a decent set of sights on it and call it a day.

So I say Glock 19.

All that said don’t feel “trapped” into buying a Glock because that is the ONLY choice. It is a FABULOUS choice but far from the only one.

If only picking one, I’ll cast another vote for the 19, though I currently have a 45 and 26, the latter of which is my EDC with an X-Grip adapter, G19 mag, and Streamlight TLR-6. Just my experience with Glocks is that they are perfectly fine right out of the box, especially the current Gen 5’s with Ameriglo night sights (which is how both of mine were when purchased). After that the only thing you would really need to decide is what light you wish to mount on it and which holster to use for carry, and if it doesn’t come equipped with night sights, which ones you wish to install.

It’s hard to give a definitive recommendation as what one person finds concealable another person finds too big. That said I would say Glock 19.

There are a lot of options out there in the striker fired polymer framed pistol market. I’ve owned a Springfield Armory XD and XDm, SIG P320 and P365XL, Walther P99 and PPQ, FN FNS, HK VP9, S&W M&P 1.0 and 2.0, Beretta APX, CZ P10, Ruger SR9, and likely some I’m forgetting. I’d feel pretty comfortable with just about any of them.

I still prefer Glocks in overall size and my accuracy with them, especially at speed. Ive owned the 19, 23, 26, and 43 (I did not like the 43 at all). I’ve often found that differences in triggers that are easily discernible in dry fire don’t always materialize to the same extent in live fire, and frankly the Gen 5 Glock trigger is decent IMO. You may also find another pistol fits your hand better and again that’s something I’ve found to not always materialize in shooting, but that’s just me. Don’t exclude other options just because.

As for modifications, a set of sights that aren’t polymer, some more magazines (I like 5 per pistol with 3 for the range and 2 for carry), and ammunition if you can find it and afford it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP has asked about a 9mm Glock recommendation for carry and HD nightstand use. The Walther P99 and PPQ, HK VP9, and S&W M&P 2.0 are all viable alternatives and if anybody said they preferred any of these to a Glock for the intended purpose, I would agree they were making a valid choice. The P365 works for carry, but not as well as a HD gun, since I’d want a gun with a bigger grip that I can grab in a hurry in the dark. Strictly MHO here.

So let’s assume these alternatives have already been evaluated and rejected for whatever reason and we’re making a recommendation for a Glock 9mm.

My Gen3 Glock 17 and 19 both work for carry and can work for HD. And my 19X is my choice to cover both requirements. The coyote color makes it easy to see in the dark, and the large G-17 sized grip is easy to grab in a hurry. I can mount a light if I ever want to. My $0.02 on this, YMMV and that works as well.

Last edited:
I had a Glock 19 gen 5. Great gun but was looking for something a bit more “concealable”. Living in Florida where I’m always in shorts and a T, it’s pretty hard to not print with a g19. I sold it for a Sig Sauer p365 as the Sig can hold 11 rounds (13 rounds with a 12rnd mag) right out of the box and can fit in my front pocket.

As a previous poster stated, you can buy a smaller Glock that conceals better for carry but also takes up to 33 round mags. It’ll look a bit goofy with such a large mag but it will always get the job done!

Last edited:
A Gen5 is worth it to me given new "older" variations go for the same price.

Finish talk aside, they are all salt nitride for protection. So the "black" finish you see being talked about isn't the real protection of the metal.

Therefore, the gen5 adds up to better in my mind. Meh.

I'm not and expert but I would go with the 43X or the 26. Yes, there is a difference between the 43 and the 43x the difference being how many rounds it can carry.

I would agree GEN 5 If you have the choice. None of the other GENs are bad or even all that radically different but the GEN 5 feels good, has a better trigger IMO, certainly better then GEN 4, and can be had out of the box with a really nice set of sights.

Again none suck but I do, personally, think the GEN 5 brings some tangible benefits to the table.

Back