Which .45 ACP?

I agree with Brutis. The P220 is the best .45. You can get full size, carry or compact sizes.

The compact carries the best with 6 round magazines. It's strong everywhere the 1911 is weak such as the weak toggle link, extractor and feed angle into the chamber.

You can get them with DA/SA or SAO.

Out of the 45s I own, which are many, I always go back to my full size Sig P220. I find myself reaching for it to carry more than any other pistol. I really can't put it into words why, but I love that gun in every way. No sense in getting into what I like and dislike about my other 45s. If I disliked them I wouldn't have them. :D

I own a number of 1911s, but when I want to carry a .45 I carry a Sig P220.

They're larger than the Colt Commander-sized pistols, however, they shoot like a dream, are amazingly accurate, they're reliable, and mine fits my hand perfectly.

If you're in the market for a .45, see if you can find one to try on the range. A Sig P220 that fits your hand well is tough to beat.

Of the .45 acp guns I've owned. two impressed me the most. The HK USP Elite and the XDm 5.25 Match. Both are very accurate and easy to shoot well. Quality is excellent.

Which 45acp?

I have at least six-1911, CZ (2) SAR (2), Sig p220 Match Elite, no longer made
and a soon to arrive Tanfoglio.
Obviously a collector.
that said, I shot the 1911 and the Sig today and 1911 was the better shooter. Both have match-grade triggers, I think 1911 had better sights.
I don't carry, only bullseye, so your choice may be different. One of the SAR
is a compact, and I like it better than the full size, and the Sig has a longer
barrel than the 1911; I had a post about 4 in vs 6 in being easier/better shooting, I think it is still up. :cool:

#1 1911 Government
#2 Glock 21 or 30 as you prefer
#3 Glock 30 or 21 as you prefer

I must say the S&W M&P 45 M2.0 is quite good. I really like the SIG P320 45 Compact, but they are not available. The HK USP 45 C is great, but also difficult to find.

Last edited:
Which .45 ACP?
I know I'm asking for it, but I would like justified opinions.

Although I traded a Shield .45 for my Ronin 4.25", and although I am thrilled with my Ronin, kinda wish I had kept the Shield. I'm now looking at purchasing another .45, but what to consider?

Should I think about a Springfield SD? another Shield?, MP?, SAR?, HK? Glock 21? Or should I bypass any black gun for a 5" 1911?

Naturally everyone is going to be biased. I have a collection of Colt Series 70 1911 guns so like most I am 1911 biased. That said I did have a Sig P220 I was very fond of. I guess it comes down to why you want the gun. Personally I don't want one of my full size 1911 guns for carry.

A few years ago a friend needed money, many of us know that scenario. I ended up with a little 3" barrel Kimber.
Kimber%201.png

I got everything on the inexpensive. I planned to just sell off the gun but took it out and shot it. Never did it fail to fire using 230 grain FMJ and JHP. I developed a liking for the gun. It was accurate and reliable which works for me. Personally I never would have bought one.

Full size 1911 guns have always attracted me. My Series 70 stash including a few Gold Cups have always just worked for me. I still regret selling that Sig P220 though. Look around and see what trips your trigger and what you are comfortable with.You are the one you need to please. Don't jump in both feet first but take your time. If possible see how different guns "feel" in your hands.

Ron

Might not be a common choice… .45 Beretta PX4.

Rotating barrel makes the .45 on par with 9mm handguns. And the grip is holding a smaller magazine capacity (9 in flush fit, 10 extended), which makes the grip nicer for a larger amount of hand sizes.

I’ll second that on the Beretta PX4 45. I’ve got one of those and it’s one of my favorite pistols. I’ve even had a couple friends of mine that’s shot it that said it’s almost just as nice as a shooter as your average nice quality 1911.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know I'm asking for it, but I would like justified opinions.

Although I traded a Shield .45 for my Ronin 4.25", and although I am thrilled with my Ronin, kinda wish I had kept the Shield. I'm now looking at purchasing another .45, but what to consider?

Should I think about a Springfield SD? another Shield?, MP?, SAR?, HK? Glock 21? Or should I bypass any black gun for a 5" 1911?

I’m not sure if you ever pointed it out but do you prefer striker-fired over hammer-fired or does it matter? I can’t offer much help for striker-fired ones but as far as hammer-fired 45’s, I love my Beretta PX4 45. The only other 45 I have is my primary carry Springfield XDE compact and for a little single-stack, I love it too. Had to really get used to it because of the small frame and large caliber but once I figured it out and put a rubber Hogue grip on it, it’s nice. Doesn’t hold a whole lot of rounds but I figure it’s got plenty with the extended round magazine a spare magazine carried with it.

I dunno, it’s probably a waste of time recommending it being that for some silly reason Springfield decided to discontinue it but still, I’m very pleased with it. I’d really like to do my own ballistics test with it but since I have faith in Speer’s Gold Dot short-barrel hollow points I carry in it and from the videos I’ve seen with that ammunition out of a similar XDS 45, I feel pretty confident with it.

I can’t speak on a Sig P220 45 but I do have one in 10mm and it’s also a favorite of mine so I would imagine the 45 version is just as nice.

Although this was first posted a month ago, I'd personally recommend a Glock 21 Gen4. I've had my share of .45's including some nice 1911's and I'd take a G21 Gen4 over any of them.

Sevens: said:
Smith & Wesson Performance Center 945-1. I truly do like 1911 pistols but I like the 945 better. Not saying it is better, but I absolutely like it better than a 1911. These guns feel like they were made for me.

My friend had one of these years ago and IMHO the S&W PC 945-1 might be one of the best, most accurate pistols ever made. He sold off A Kimber Super Match to get this one and it was just a superior shooting pistol compared to that Kimber. Keep this one, you might never find another one, and if you could find one for sale, I couldn’t even imagine what one of these would go for today.

OP, if you have moved on- I'm sorry for being late.

I understand your interest in another .45.

I have to quit thinking of them like pringles- where I want 'just one more'. ;)

You said you have a 1911. Good. My opinion is that all who own a 1911 should have one in 4.25" AND one in 5"- but that is my opinion. Which one? That is too hard to call without knowing a lot about you.

At the range once, as I was packing up, two guys at another lane saw my target and asked what I was shooting. "RIA 1911 Tactical" was my response [factory condition]. They were shooting a Colt Gold Cup and a Kimber Gold Match. They said I should be in a commercial for RIA.

My target had about 47 rounds in half the X ring on a B29 target, with the flyers in the 10 ring around it. Their target had a grouping of about 70% of their shots in a pattern about 17-18" across. Both of us were shooting at 10 yards.

[quality guys- I also have a full custom Caspian build with all EGW parts and KART barrel. It IS more accurate- but both are fun.]

around 2010 I was at a point that I decided to do a 'shootout' to see which .45s to keep and which to sell.

The contenders at the time:
  • DGFM Sistema Modelo 1927 [argentine colt 1911], full custom build with only frame and MSH stock.
  • SA Loaded Target Blackened Stainless 1911.
  • HK 45 USP Compact [with trigger work done]
  • Sig P220 Combat
  • S&W M&P 45
  • Ruger P97.

In the 3 months before the shootout, I put about 200 rounds through each gun to get a sense of its' quirks- except the Ruger P97 [which I hadn't fired in 6 years].

On the day of the test, I shot 7 rounds at the same size target, at 7 yards.

This was two handed slow fire.

When done I measured group sizes.

My results, from worst group to best, to the best of my memory [but this is NOT the order in which I shot them]:
  • Sig P220 Combat [around 7" group]
  • HK USP 45 Compact [around 6" group]
  • SA 1911 [Around 5" group]
  • M&P 45 [around 4.5" group.
  • Sistema [Around 3" group]
  • Ruger P97 [around 2.2" group]

A week later I tried it again, but changed the order in which I fired them. The results were comparable.

I sold the top 4. and kept the 2 with the best group sizes.

I now have other .45s, and can do better with a P220 than back then. However, my point is that it doesn't really matter how good of a reputation a gun has. What matters is which works best FOR YOU!

For me, the Ruger P97 was hard to beat.
  • My current 1911s are at least as good, if not WAYYY better. Yet, it is still consistently a really accurate gun.
  • And, it is ugly as sin- with a lack of respect due to the look/design and pricepoint.
  • Yet, I trust it as much as a Glock 30sf in my hands [reliability/safety], and am more accurate with it.

There is such a thing as true objective quality of manufacturing. And, it SHOULD make a difference in everything. Yet, it depends on what you want.

I am happier with owning a few RIA than rolling the cost all into one higher dollar 1911- as I now have a CCO, a railed 1911, and one in .38Super. And, I am just about as accurate with any of them as with nicer 1911s.

Ok- if you really want a .45, here is an off the wall recommendation: get a revolver!

Either a Ruger Blackhawk convertible [.45lc in one cylinder and .45acp in the other], or go big with something in .454 Casull, like a Freedom Arms revolver.

Just being off the wall.

Good luck!

I can personally recommend Springfield Armory Range Officer. It comes in three sizes, two finishes and two calibers. Plus it has custom features that are standard. This pistol also comes in a pelican style case with holster, mag pouch, mag loader and cleaning kit.

I can personally recommend Springfield Armory Range Officer. It comes in three sizes, two finishes and two calibers. Plus it has custom features that are standard. This pistol also comes in a pelican style case with holster, mag pouch, mag loader and cleaning kit.

They discontinued the Range Officer. Also, Springfield seems to have changed what they give you. The ones I have seen lately only come in a cardboard box with pistol and magazines, no more holster and pelican like case.

I've pretty much narrowed down my "search" to either the G30s or the S&W M&P 2.0, both very different guns, to be sure. Price is a wash, so that is not really a factor.

I've owned the S&W M&P Shield .45 so am familiar with S&W. Never owned a Glock (pride), but like the look and feel of the G30s.

Thank you to all who took the time and answered my question seriously. I realize opinions vary, but I take good advice on here to heart.

Will report back when the decision is made. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fauxpa46, Those seem like good choices.

I have shot the G30SF with a Ghost Tactical Connector installed, and it worked very well. The Gen4 G30 has the same size advantages of the 30SF, but with adapter grip pieces for larger hands.

My only complaint was that I would prefer the smooth trigger for a long day of range use. The ridged Glock trigger felt a bit uncomfortable when on the second box of ammo.

I am not a hugh fan of Glock pistols- but I will give credit where it is due: They just plain WORK!

I also like the availability of aftermarket parts to tune things the way you want.

That said, I would never give up my M&P 9c for a Glock G19, or G26, or any other Glock 9mm that is around the same size. I prefer the M&P.

But- darn it. Glocks do what they need with boring reliability: and that is a good thing!

Back