Which .45 ACP?

Getting conflicting messages here. In your 1st post.

Or should I bypass any black gun for a 5" 1911?

Then later.

I'm more interested in a gun, other than a 1911 for something different. Already have two .45 1911s.

I think there are better options for personal defense, but everyone should have a decent 1911. Maybe consider a BETTER 1911.

If you liked and miss the Shield, you'll like the M&P 45 better. They offer the M&P with a 1911 style safety. You could install an Apex trigger kit and have a trigger that rivals the better 1911 triggers. And with a trigger that light you'll want the safety.

They even sell 14 round magazines for them which gives you more than a G21. I sold my Glock after doing just that. But I still keep my 1911's

There are so many choices.
For a "range gun" the HK Expert is a high end non-1911. I had the regular USP .45 and its only failing was being too big for my hand size.

I like a friend's XD 5.25s and would have bought one except that I got my 2011 straightened out and am now campaigning it in USPSA.

If you regret selling your shield, get a new shield.

I have sold or traded several guns in the past to get something newer or cooler. I have almost always regretted it. My policy is simple. I do not sell or trade a gun unless I hate it or just wont shoot it anymore. If I want a new gun I buy it. figure out if it really fits my needs better than the other first.

I'm more interested in a gun, other than a 1911 for something different. Already have two .45 1911s.

Looking for something different? How about a .45 ACP revolver. There are a lot of S&W's out there on the used market but they tend to be pricey; Taurus made them in their ultra lite series; Charter makes them - the Pitbull series; Ruger may have a .45 ACP revolver too.

"I have sold or traded several guns in the past to get something newer or cooler. I have almost always regretted it. My policy is simple. I do not sell or trade a gun unless I hate it or just wont shoot it anymore. If I want a new gun I buy it. figure out if it really fits my needs better than the other first."

Wise words.

Suggestion

Going to suggest a Glock, but not the G21, rather the midsize G30.

I really like the big Glocks, but their large grips make them difficult to conceal. I think the Glocks with their simple manual of arms, are a better choice for many folks for a defensive pistol. The midsize G30 may offer the simplicity of striker fired, with easier carry, durability, availability and a reasonable price.

Hey,, I like 1911's too, own some, hunted with one in 10mm for a month this past deer season, but carry a Glock far more often.

So, there is the aforementioned SAR K2-45, a 14+1 of all metal sweetness. Several thousand rounds through mine, no issues.

How about a 3rd gen Smith? My wife shoots the holy hell out of my 4506. Literally will feed it all day long if the can has the ammo.

Other .45s in the house, Colt Competition, Sig Tac-Ops and a Springfield xD45. While I prefer the Sig, it’s a 1911, so I’ll leave that one alone. The wife has all but disowned her Springfield for the Colt and Smith.

We have a Ruger P345 and a SAR KS 45 full-size.
I won an auction on the Ruger, and PSA had the SAR for $399. The Ruger is lighter, so my wife used to carry it (now she carries my Steyr M9!). I liked the heavy weight and large capacity on the SAR. I think I shoot the SAR better. It has softer felt recoil.

I'd do the SAR again in a heartbeat, but I would stay full sized.
I have a couple Springfield XD pistols in 9mm. I have never owned the 45 version, but the 9s have functioned flawlessly for a couple thousand rounds between them.
I, too, have the Ruger 345 and a Smith & Wesson 457. I like them both! Both are accurate at the distance that I figure to have to use them (7 to 10 yards).

The 457 was modified by the addition of a stainless hammer from a S&W 4506. The 457 is, basically, a no frills 4516 in aluminum and blued steel. I purchased it new in 1996.

The 345 is one that I just liked the looks of and after taking it to the range, I fell in love with it. My wife can carry either and is quite proficient with either one.

Randie
Fort Smith, AR

What do you intend to use the potential new gun for? The 5-inch 1911 is the generally-accepted "classic" .45 ACP platform. Personally, I find that the 4.25-inch Commander-size pistol balances better -- FOR ME.
Great advice from Aguila...and I agree on the Commander size...but...no shorter in barrel length.

With that 4" or 4.25" bbl. you get good inter-sight distance for accuracy, (for me, I see no difference between the full size 5" model vs. the Commander length). However, when you select a shorter bbl....than 4"...the force required to rack the slide increases markedly and getting the gun to run right without malfunctions increases...in effect, it needs a finer balance between the load and the recoil/mainsprings. If you have access to Kuhnhausens Shop manuals, he discusses this potential problem area.

YMMv but for me, for carry purposes and general use for anything but the handgun games venue that requires substantial amounts of ammunition through the gun on a regular basis...an alloy framed Commander is a great choice. Here's one of mine...a Sig RCS with alloy frame, officer's model grip length but still holds 7 in the mag, Novak sights, checkered fore and aft and a match grade SS bbl. Melted edges for ease of draw, humped grip safety for sure disengagement and enough beaver-tail to ensure a substantial 'firiing-grip' while the gun is still in the leather. It's got it all.

It's the best carry .45 I've ever owned.... Best regards, Rod

Smith & Wesson Performance Center 945-1.

I truly do like 1911 pistols but I like the 945 better. Not saying it is better, but I absolutely like it better than a 1911. These guns feel like they were made for me.

Asking this question is similar to asking..."Which bottled water is best?" Why even bother asking the question in the first place?

Because I wanted opinions of those who perhaps were more experienced in .45 ACP guns than I am. Pretty simple.

You know, contrary to what you may think, not all of us know everything.

Sorry it bothered you.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong in trying to get opinions from others. At least it might give you some ideas of what else is out there and maybe if you see it in a store you’ll stop and give it a look.

I think what people are trying to point out, and it may well be the OP already understands this, is that opinions are just that, opinions. A lot of this is subjective, whether it’s recoil, ergonomics, the list goes on. You can get two people on this forum that have opposing views on a firearm, much less once you consider all the people out there.

As an example, years ago when I first joined this forum I was asking about a Browning Hi Power. Many people suggested that if I liked the Hi Power I would love a CZ-75, so I went and bought a CZ-75BD. I didn’t care for the pistol really at all. Now I’ve owned more CZs over time and my opinion has changed somewhat, but to me I like the Hi Power a lot more despite what all those other people said, and said very emphatically.

To answer the original question, I personally really enjoyed the HK45 Compact. I sold mine to fund another purchase and I regret that decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up a Springfield 4.25" XDM in 45 acp on a deep sale after the model was discontinued. It probably won't become a family heirloom like a 5" 1911 would be, but it's a great shooter. The model was only recently discontinued, so you should still be able to find a few at as close to closeout prices as you can find in the current market. It's not a great choice for a carry gun, but it's a fun double-stack to take to the range and fills the home-defense role very well.

My Dad had a Colt Govt Model, (I have it now, he's gone) and I was Army trained Small Arms Repairman which included the 1911A1. Its "the 45 Auto" for me.

That being said, I've been VERY happy with the Browning BDA 45 I got in 1980. Commander sized (4.25" barrel), light weight thanks to an alloy frame, DA (not really my thing) SA pull is very good, after you take up the slack. Very accurate in my hands and feeds everything.

My gun is the original Sig Sauer gun with the heel clip magazine release, which I found to ONLY be a drawback when playing timed games, which I haven't done in decades.

While I'm a 1911 guy the SIG gun is what I chose to carry when I carry a semi auto.

Can't stand GLocks, a personal thing, just don't like them.

Choose what makes you HAPPY, don't worry about the rest.

Back