Which .45 ACP?

fauxpa46

I know I'm asking for it, but I would like justified opinions.

Although I traded a Shield .45 for my Ronin 4.25", and although I am thrilled with my Ronin, kinda wish I had kept the Shield. I'm now looking at purchasing another .45, but what to consider?

Should I think about a Springfield SD? another Shield?, MP?, SAR?, HK? Glock 21? Or should I bypass any black gun for a 5" 1911?

My vote would be for a 5" 1911. Shields are nice, too. If you can dredge one up, Smith made the SW99 during their sordid affair with Walther. Dad has one in 45 ACP, and it shoots like a beauty, fills hand perfectly.

What do you intend to use the potential new gun for? The 5-inch 1911 is the generally-accepted "classic" .45 ACP platform. Personally, I find that the 4.25-inch Commander-size pistol balances better -- FOR ME. So for general, all-around use, I'd choose a Commander. For everyday carry, I carry a lightweight 3-1/2 inch Officers model.

I would go for Commander. For the difference in size much better than Officers Model. I just went through looking for carry piece. “One” in few months had 7 1911 Govt, 2 Commanders
1 Officers model and a 380 Colt Mustang. I have since weeded them out to 3 keepers. The Officers model was first to go. All guns 45acp except the Mustang. Keep a Commander LW for carry and two others because I’m stupid.

This question begs for another question ....

1) (What Aguila said) What are you going to use it for

2) Have you ever held or fired a 1911?

You guys aren't paying attention. ( 2) Have you ever held or fired a 1911?) I already said I traded the Shield in on a Ronin 4.25" (.45).

I'm more interested in a gun, other than a 1911 for something different. Already have two .45 1911s.

As for what I want it for, it could be something for carry, and/or the range, depending on the size of the firearm.

A Walther PPQ would fit the bill nicely. They are very accurate, makes a marginal handgunner look halfway decent. However is i was going to carry this firearm i would want something smaller. FN makes some really nice smallish da/sa options.

Which 45 acp

It REALLY depends on the most likely use. I am not a fan of striker-fired, so
CZ, Sig (220 Match Elite, which is no longer made), and SAR.
I have several of all the above, and a 1911, shot a Gold Cup years ago, and
my favorite all-around is a SAR K2-45C, but I don't shoot it for serious target
stuff, that is a CZ97E and the Sig.
The whole EAA lineup of Tanfoglio, Witness EAA and who knows how many others from Italy and Turkey- you can have a lot of fun trying out a lot of them.
I am working on getting my Springfield 1911 A1 up to performance level.
so if you are a gun nut, go for it.:cool:

I know I'm asking for it, but I would like justified opinions.

My two cents, unless we know what the intended purpose is, etc, you'll just get everyone's opinion on a general favorite 45, and why they like it.

"My two cents, unless we know what the intended purpose is, etc, you'll just get everyone's opinion on a general favorite 45, and why they like it."

More than aware of that, but that's what I asked for. It's interesting (sometimes) to see what others are thinking, and why. Other than my 1911s (and the aforementioned Shield), I've little experience with .45 ACP firearms. Carrying is always in the back of my mind, but .45 can be a snapper if fed through a smaller pistol. Obviously, if only a range gun we can go a bit larger; that's a no brainer.

I appreciate those who genuinely answered my question.

We have a Ruger P345 and a SAR KS 45 full-size.
I won an auction on the Ruger, and PSA had the SAR for $399. The Ruger is lighter, so my wife used to carry it (now she carries my Steyr M9!). I liked the heavy weight and large capacity on the SAR. I think I shoot the SAR better. It has softer felt recoil.

I'd do the SAR again in a heartbeat, but I would stay full sized.
I have a couple Springfield XD pistols in 9mm. I have never owned the 45 version, but the 9s have functioned flawlessly for a couple thousand rounds between them.

Might not be a common choice… .45 Beretta PX4.

Rotating barrel makes the .45 on par with 9mm handguns. And the grip is holding a smaller magazine capacity (9 in flush fit, 10 extended), which makes the grip nicer for a larger amount of hand sizes.

While you may like What-a-burger or in-and-out or Culver’s or think that a Whopper is a “really good hamburger”…. there is a next level. Hand crafted at a local place, made with top ingredients, and it will open your eyes. Price is about double to triple the fast food burger, but it will open your eyes and it’s hard to go back to the cheap fast food. Right?

What I am saying- if you really want to experience the .45 experience, I feel you owe it to yourself to get a 1911 platform full size semi-custom. Spend around $2,000 for a small shop that hand crafts a 1911 and find out what “breaks like a 1911 trigger” really means. I would call Rock River, in Illinois. Les Baer, Ed Brown, other shops like that where craftsmen tune a good solid base to top notch. Find a place close to you.

Now, this is not some $40 hamburger where the chef hand grinds the meat of your choice, maybe some elk or jackolope and bacon fat to perfection and little old elves that live in a hollow tree make the bun… (full 100% custom, made to your exacting choice from firing pin spring to frame forger) but I feel a full custom like this is the desire to support the art of master gunsmithing, rather than desire to shoot. Like an $18,000 shotgun.

Treat yourself and see what the possible is.

Last edited:
If you wished you kept your Shield, then buy another Shield. It would drive me crazy no longer having a firearm I liked having that's still readily available and doesn't break the bank.

Back