Which 1911 Commander would you pick ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, what the hell. I bought my first 1911 in 79, Steel frame Colt Combat Commander. Before beaver tails and combat sights etc. Still my favorite and still stock except for a Wilson extractor.

I only have Colt 1911s at this point. 2 in .45 and 2 in 9mm. I like them all, but if I was buying one 1911 commander I would get the DW. I had a valor at one time and ended up horse trading it for god knows what. That was stupid.

Smith&Wesson 1911sce

I like the light weight of Scandium, low felt recoil, night sights and fantastic trigger. I'm terrible about not cleaning guns and this one will go a 500 rounds before jamming. You won't have to take out a loan on your house to buy one either.

I'm surprised that no one has asked the original poster about the chambering. Is it 9 mm Luger or .45 ACP? Recommendations might vary, depending on the cartridge.
Both of the guns the OP mentioned come only in .45 acp at this time.

Both guns mentioned in the original post are available in 9x19mm. That can be verified at the colt and dan wesson websites. I don't have the current production data, but it seems like I'm seeing more and more commanders chambered for 9mm.

I believe the original commander platform was developed for army trials shortly after WWII. They had aluminum frames and a 4.25 inch barrel, and were chambered for 9mm only. If you claim to be a traditionalist for the commander platform, an argument could be made for the 9mm chambering.

Later, when commercially introduced (1950),the commander (now designated as the lightweight commander) was chambered for 9x19mm. .38 super, and .45 ACP.

Last edited:
I also have a Colt Lightweight Commander in 9mm. It's been 100% reliable, so far, but I have not shot it a whole lot. However, I bought it, for fun, mostly, since I already owned a 5" Colt 9mm also.

But, in this platform, beyond the fun factor, I would not choose a 9mm over a 45ACP. There's better 9mm's in this size range, and they hold more ammo.

I also have a Colt Lightweight Commander in 9mm. It's been 100% reliable, so far, but I have not shot it a whole lot. However, I bought it, for fun, mostly, since I already owned a 5" Colt 9mm also.

But, in this platform, beyond the fun factor, I would not choose a 9mm over a 45ACP. There's better 9mm's in this size range, and they hold more ammo.
True. I have other guns in 9mm (sig, glock), but when it comes to 1911s, .45 is the only caliber I look for.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Oops - forgot the reason why Colt.

When it comes to a 1911 - there's Colt & there's everyone else.

Not to say there aren't other decent 1911's made - it's just - they aren't Colt.

Oops - forgot the reason why Colt.
When it comes to a 1911 - there's Colt & there's everyone else.
Not to say there aren't other decent 1911's made - it's just - they aren't Colt.
Some of us aren't about to pay a grand just for four letters stamped on the slide. :)

Some relatively inexpensive options are "better". :)
That depends on which options you're referring to IMHO. May contain a whole lot of MIM parts that weren't properly made. But I will say Springfield has been giving Colt a run for their money with some people. Base gun wise, Colt is my go to.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

I don't have anything against Colt {I own two vintage ones} but I was disappointed that the combat elite E I sold 5 years ago didn't bring as much as I paid for it.
The snake guns on the other hand appreciated like crazy, hard to believe the money they bring these days.

I'd like to have a 1920's commercial 38 super to round out my trio.
1905 mfg 1924 and Vest pocket mfg 1917

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back