Where is your gun? Someone just kicked in your front door...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
Hi all,

Was reading the "wheelgun" question and was struck by the number of "bedside" guns.

I have my "ready" guns where I spend most of my time. Office # 1, living room/great room # 2 and a handgun/shotgun in the bedroom. Handgun in the bedroom is for "things that go bump in the night" and the shotgun is for those who enter the bedroom uninvited. (rifle in the workshop)

When I set my mom up after my dad died, we put a .38 in the kitchen and the bedroom. 95% of the time she's in one or the other. Each has a reload and a flashlight handy.

Think about where you spend your time in the house and where your emergency equipment is located.

Giz

------------------
"I don't make enough money to buy cheap stuff" - Mark Manning

Interesting thread. My first class years ago was taught by a husband and wife team. They
said something like: The gun doesn't do you any good in the master 2nd bedroom when you are in the basement doing the wash.

So, while significant firepower is in the saferoom, this is a role for the lighter weight pocket guns. I always have something
in my pocket :)

We all know the cliche that a handgun is used to fight your way to the real guns.

An interesting discussion was engendered by Greg Hamilton who I heard say that if you were with your family and the door kicks in - you should run to the guns even if you leave them.

Quite a debate, n'est pas?

First of all, shouldn't the first defense perimeter be outside of the house? I would recommend guard dogs, iron gates, motion sensors and intrusion detection alarms BEFORE someone can even reach your front door, let alone kicking it in. This way, you have plenty of early warning to open your gun safe and decide which one of your "assault" weapon to use to defend yourself.

Illinois may not let us carry concealed yet, but that don't stop my from totin' my USP 45F around the house in a crossdraw rig. I figure if I get used to that, it won't feel so alien when IL. finally does pass a CCW law :)

I completely agree with the collapsing perimeter idea. I, however, can't use it. Neighborhood covenants preclude me from erecting a fence. My first perimeter is the exterior walls of my house.

I do live in a "good" neighborhood, but hate the thought of having to break visual contact with the folks entrusted to me to arm myself.

Giz

My PDW goes from room to room with me. Not holstered, but just carried to whatever room I am inhabiting.

I found myself being very aware of what's where as far as guns go. Nice to know one is always close...wonder how I will ever get used to visiting people in fascist countries where guns are unavailable (thinking of an upcoming visit to Germany)

Wow, funny coincidence. I just now got up from where I was reading a book, walked into the bedroom to get my S&W 642, and stopped by the computer to see if there was any mail (and clicked refresh on the browser). I don't usually carry in the house, but I'm by myself tonight, and my "watch-dog" was snoozing beside me on the couch, so I thought I'd get my bedside gun. And here y'all are talking about this! I always have at least a good "tactical" folder with me in the house, but usually not a gun.

------------------
Protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms!

One of these around the house will stop anything that tries to enter. This one like mine has natural body armor, is extremely aggressive and will take no prisoners. He will kill to protect your family. My kid nick named him "Crack Dog", his real name is Marley.
sak5.jpg

They make excellent mops too......

Robert

Whilst I am home, I had always on my waist of my gun. It only rested when I go to sleep but still beyond reach at the strech of my strong hand.

My house is small and well entrenched with steel doors and pointed iron grills in front and at the back fence. I always had a guard dog.

In every exit, you find a machete or any knife, chaku, cylindrical tube of about 24" long, 1" diameter hanging on the wall or just at any corner. On our bed, a sword is hanging also thereat.

I will not wait any one to reach my front door of the house. If ever someone can reach the front door I'll wait him to kick the door and he will be met by a sword or firepower. I will not open our door whoever knocks it not unless he/she identify himself/herself. Always a light is on surrounding the house to see someone at night.

The only thing I know is, I'll protect the sanctity of my home and family protection whoever the intruder.

Thanks

There is a Glock 27 with Trijicon night sights on the nightstand beside our bed. A S&W .38 cal. Chief's special hidden in the den, and I always have a Colt Mustang, NAA Guardian, or a Kel-Tec P-32 in my pocket. At the very least, I keep a NAA .22 cal. Mini in a pocket holster. Paranoid? No, my best friend was murdered by a mean drunk with a hunting knife. (Right in front of his new wife) He had left his pistol at home. We don't have children who might find a firearm, however I always know the location of all firearms. Safety is the watch-word, I take no chances with my firearms.

Will

------------------
Mendacity is the system we live in.

Have a toddler in the house, so rather than have a gun in each room, I simply carry my carry/home defense gun with me from room to room in a hollowed out dayplanner holster I made myself. Looks perfectly natural next to the computer, on the bookshelf, etc...so I don't have to worry about frightening unexpected guests (the friendly kind, that is).

So you want to know where My gun is..... You are'nt taking a poll for the ATF or the My local SWAT team are you? :) All kiddin aside. Its right next to me all the time 24/7/52 weeks a year.

Regarding keeping a gun in each room, are you worried that an "unexpected guest" could find one of these guns before you find him?

I like to keep a gun in the room I am in, but I put them all in the bedroom within my reach before going to sleep.

Unfortunately,we (the members of TFL) are, once again, in the minority regarding this issue. Everyone wants to protect their 'castle' and, most of all, their family from harm. But how many typical homeowners are actually going to carry around the house or have multiple firearms safely hidden in various rooms? Very few I'm afraid. It's certainly not PC and, from a practical standpoint, how many can afford to invest $ in more than one 'gun'?

So the education and the re-education of the uninformed and the mis-informed has to continue... I hope we're up to it...

------------------
...save the 2nd. No fate but what we make...

I have a security system that is armed when I am home or away. I always answer the door after dark with a hidden 38 snub. I will have a channel snatcher and cameras by the summer so I can see who is comming up the drive and at the doors.

------------------
Good shootin to ya
Plateshooter

There is a fully loaded, and chambered Walther P99 under the pillow.
Spare mags are on the dresser by the bed. This gun stays with me. The backup .357 mag is in a location known only to me or my girlfriend. Her .38spl is with her in her back pack. Incidentally, the P99 is on the computer desk with me even now!! :)

------------------
Just as there is no such thing as too much fun,
there is no such thing as owning just one gun!!!

Now, go do the right thing, and buy that Walther!!

It depends upon what time of day it is for me. I don't take my weapon off when I get home in the evenings, so during that time, it's on my hip. I have a holster attached to my bed rail and that's where the weapon resides during the night and early morning until I'm dressed. It might seem a bit paranoid to some. I've been told so on occasion, but I don't mind the ribbing! :)

Hey Giz, I tried to find you last night after the MCRC meeting adjourned, but had no luck! Are you coming out to the next IDPA shoot?

Greetings to all.
I always tuck my gun in my waist whenever I'm home. Even when I go to the john it goes with me.
I have perimeter lights in my property so if the dog barks, on goes the light. My front door has a patio which is well enclosed by iron grills.

vega

I have at least two firearms at the ready, they are positioned in the house where they can be accessed upon retreat from the entryways. We also have two dogs who would hopfully give us the time to properly react to end any type of threat. I do make changes to this system when we have children visiting, But it only slows access by a few seconds..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back