where do you carry your spare mag?

t_860.jpg

Blade Tech with TekLok.

Carry pistol is a CZ PCR carried IWB on the right side. Extra mag is carried OWB on the left side and is a 14 rounder.

Normally my daily carry weapon is my Rossi 462 (2 speed strips in a Bianchi Accumold pouch), but when I carry my XD40, I carry two mags in a Galco CDM Cop double carrier to go with my Galco Cop 3 slot, Holster at 3:00 and mag carrier at 9:00.

Being the frat boy that I am, I typically where a type of shorts manfactured by Columbia called "PFGs" that have a pocket on the back sort of above the back pockets designed for either fishing pliers or a multi-tool with a velcro retention strap and my Glock 21 mags sits in there just fine.

If I'm carrying either my CZ PCR, or my CZ 75b, the spare mag rides in a Galco Horizontal Mag Pouch on my left hip.

The gun ride either IWB or OWB in a paddle holster on my right hip.

If I'm carrying my taurus 650, then I just toss a speed strip into one of my pockets. Looking to get a pouch for the strip, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Nnobby45 said:
I like the Blade Tech combo for light and mag.

That's because you haven't tried to stuff your Surefire into your magwell during a panicky slide-lock reload yet. ;)

Problem with carrying in pockets...

... is that if you don't think, and then put other stuff in that pocket, weird things can happen.

Like, for instance, a dime trying to wedge itself into a feed lip.

Not that I've ever managed anything like that. Nor have I ever had a small coin wedge itself into the locking mechanism of my CRKT folder, oh no...

On the bright side, I'm religious about not putting anything at all in a pocket if a gun is in that pocket.

But I've learned that I should either devote a pocket solely to spare mag(s) - which can leave me no place for my car keys - or to carry a mag holder. I haven't seen an IWB holder, but that sounds interesting. I have a Simply Rugged leather holder that I wear weak side, between belt and pants, so it's OWB but inside the belt.

Note: magazine floor plates can chafe pretty badly. Wear an undershirt of some kind.

Same location that I keep my spare ammo on my Sam Browne belt at work: My right side, up front, in a Galco spare mag carrier. The Ruger P-90 that goes with it is on my left hip in a Fist IWB rig.

Dont always carry a spare mag, but if I do its OWB weak side. I have however been carrying my Mossberg 930spx in the car behind the seat for longer car trios with a 2nd spare mag in my pocket.

I carry my emergency reload in a mag pouch on opposite side for quick access. I don't consider that a spare, nor is it extra. It's very much a part of my every day carry system.

I carry my "spare/extra" mag. in my jacket pocket, or sometimes in back pocket, depending on what I'm wearing. I carry as above when using a higher capacity pistol, but usually without the spare/extra.

Yes, I know, some have it figured out that I'll never need a reload in a gunfight, let alone a speed load, and I guess there's no sense in arguing about the value of the better sense of security. And driving around on day to day business, I have extra magazines in the car for the unforseen that the odds makers on the board say will never happen.

And, oh yes, I carry an extra speedloader for my J-frame back-up. It's carried in my upper right vest or jacket pocket. The J-frame (or LCR), carried in an inside vest pocket) also allows me to secure my primary weapon in the car lock box and still be armed at the Dr.'s, etc. office, etc.

I've given up trying to figure if I'm getting more parnoid with age or just smarter. I just go with the "feeling".:)

Just my thoughts on the matter.:cool:

Last edited:
I carry mine in a mag pouch on the left side front of the mag to the rear. This allows me to grab the top with the thumb side of my hand pointed down, pull the mag bring it up and insert the mag, give it a tap on the bottom to make sure it's locked in and hit the slide catch.

Spare magazines gear Ayoob....

I have different views about packing spare magazines or other duty gear/equipment. If you are a sworn LE officer, armed professional or carry a lot of kit with your concealed license/CWP, I'd suggest carrying spare pistol magazines in the same area both on or off duty, all the time.
Some training experts like Las Vegas NV cop Robert Hindi stress carrying items with access by both hands. Gun writer, use of force expert Massad Ayoob wrote about a year ago that concealment of some items like white lights(small flashlights) is not a legal issue or important but I disagree to an extent.
Muscle memory and reaction time ARE important. You can't waste time giving yourself a pat-down every time you carry a pistol.
New gear holders can carry a light & magazine or a magazine & mark III OC spray. All sizes styles & types are now on the US market.
For now, I'd choose a covered Mirage type single pistol mag holder on my right side rear area. I'm left handed and wear some sidearms on my left hip or side.
Desantis now sells a cool pistol mag holder like the great Nemnesis pocket holster. 5.11 sells some neat pocket holder kit. A company started by working sworn LEOs called Bullet 50 has jeans made with magazine holders too. Blackie Collins has a concealed pants/jeans line also.

On the rare occasion that I carry a semi-auto, it's usually jacket weather so a spare mag goes in my left front coat pocket. I usually carry a revolver, in which case I either slip a Bianchi Speedstrip into the watch pocket of my jeans or have a double speedloader pouch on my belt, strongside, directly behind my holster.

My Gerber multi-tool pouch on belt, weak side. It completely covers the mag and looks innocently like a knife or multi-tool.

Recent gun magazine training drill...

I read a gun magazine article about a PSC(private contractor) & armed professional training class where the cadre had the firing line students shoot one round from each magazine on their person(M4/patrol rifle, sidearm, BUG-2nd gun). This is a good tactical drill because it can condition a shooter/gun owner to clearly load/unload their firearm(s) and learn how to quickly secure their pistol mags, 2nd guns, speedstrips/speedloaders etc.
Any gun owner or CWP holder could practice this drill too, ;).

Back