When your trusted carry gun jams....

In my opinion, 1 problem in 5000 rounds fired is not a major issue with me. Like others have said, It's going to happen at some point. Ammo and guns are man made. Nothing is perfect.

I understand the need to run some of your carry ammo through to make sure it functions well. I also understand that there are few guarantees in this world. I would run a box or three through it and if it all works well attribute it to what gamblers call variance. You can not eliminate variance...

+P+ are not good for any gun IMHO, why would you beat up your short barrel carry gun with ammo that isn't gonna get velocities much higher than reg ammo. why.?

The G26 has a 3.46'' barrel and the extra powder just means more muzzle blast,etc.

What do I carry in my G26.? I prefer standard pressure 147 grain Golden Sabers or HSTs.

I've run thousands of Win SXT 127+P+s thru various 9mm Glocks and never seen any issues so I don't believe it's either a gun or ammo issue. Small Glocks are easy to limp wrist with just the slightest change in grip. OP, how often do you shoot your G26?

Small Glocks are easy to limp wrist with just the slightest change in grip.
Thats news to me, and I shoot three of them on a regular basis, with tens of thousands of rounds through them too.

Limp wristing happens when you allow the gun to move rearwards with recoil, and is a shooter issue, not a gun issue. Its not because of "grip". A 26 is no different than anything else in that respect.

My firearms are kept in good repair and clean/oiled. I do not worry about a malfunction and although carrying a firearm through my LE career (actually over the past fifty years) I have never experienced a malfunction with the carry ammo upon shooting it. My practice is to shoot the carry ammo and replace with new as often as is practical which also gives me the incentive to make more trips to the pit for a day of shooting. Win- win situation.

deafsmith said:
decided to empty my Glock 26 carry gun....

Well the Glock 26, using Winchester T series +p+ 127 gr JHPs had a failure to extract. Bummer I say!

But folks, never ever carry a UNTESTED GUN. So I have to shoot a bunch of ammo, with no jams, before I can let that 26 back in the holster.

Happily for me I had my 'other' carry Glock I don't pack much. Glock 32 in .357 using Gold Dot 125 gr JHPs. It's very accurate, powerful, and TESTED.

deafsmith said:
Had that Glock for SIX years. Maybe 5000 fired out of it.

I'm totally confused by these posts. Apparently you have a Glock 26 that has successfully fired 5,000 rounds and had an FTE on 5,001.

Now you're carrying a Glock 32 that you say is "TESTED".

Does "TESTED" mean that you've fired 5,001 rounds through it so you know it won't jam on that 5,001st round? How do you know it won't jam on 5,002?

Limp wristing happens when you allow the gun to move rearwards with recoil, and is a shooter issue, not a gun issue. Its not because of "grip". A 26 is no different than anything else in that respect.
While it is shooter induced there are most definitely mechanical attributes that make it easier for the shooter to induce. The extreme light weight of the G26's frame being one.

While it is shooter induced there are most definitely mechanical attributes that make it easier for the shooter to induce. The extreme light weight of the G26's frame being one.
A loaded 26 is only 8oz lighter than a loaded 17. I dont know what other mechanical issues might be involved, but none of them will cause a reasonably experienced shooter or even an inexperienced one who has been shown why the gun might be short stroking on them to have the problem.

After constantly hearing that Glocks always short stoke due to limp wrisiting, I tried my best to get Glocks I have (17's, 19's and 26's) to "limp wrist"/short stroke, and the only way I was able to get it to happen, was hold the gun at an angle perpendicular to my arm, and holding it with two fingers (thumb and trigger finger). Even then, it only happened maybe one on four or five times, and sometimes longer. Even with absolutely no grip, just letting the gun sit on the web of my hand and middle finger, as long as there was mass behind the gun, they shot/cycled every time.

Anyone Ive ever shown why it was happening, regardless the type of gun, didnt have it happen once they understood why. If it does happen, it is a shooter issue and no fault of the gun. Glock 26's are just as easy to shoot as their bigger siblings and shoot just as well out to the same distances. Ive found the same to be true with the 42's as well.

Lee6113 asked: Has anyone ever had a failure from factory new pistol right out the door? From a well-know brand such as Glock?

CZ2075 RAMIs in .40 S&W were known for that.

CZ was aware of the problem and I'm pretty sure they've fixed it in the later models

A loaded 26 is only 8oz lighter than a loaded 17.

You do realize that's 25%.
as long as there was mass behind the gun

The more the frame weighs the less mass that's required to hold it still. it's simple Newtonian physics. It'll be easier with an empty mag than a full one too and yes it's very easy to stop on a square range with proper technique.

You do realize that's 25%.
Hasnt been a problem that Ive seen.

The more the frame weighs the less mass that's required to hold it still. it's simple Newtonian physics. It'll be easier with an empty mag than a full one too and yes it's very easy to stop on a square range with proper technique.
Ive always had to work pretty hard at getting it to happen. Even then, the only way I could get it to happen was to hold the gun in a near impossible manner. Full or empty didnt seem to be an issue. As long as there was something behind the gun to stop its rearward movement, they usually run fine, even with a loose or no grip at all.

You've just had entirely too much koolaid, you actually believe Glock perfection defies the laws of physics.
Well, youre more than welcome to come on over and show me how they dont work. Maybe mine are broke. ;)

So far for me, it hasnt been an issue, and I shoot about 20000 rounds or so out of them a year, and roughly 4-5000 of that is out of 26's. Had all sorts of stoppages in practice due to worn out brass, but so far, never a shooter induced short stroke that I know of. At least not any that werent intentional due to trying to make it happen.

If youre having all these difficulties, maybe you should read more about what youre doing wrong on the interweb. That or maybe try some of the Kool Aide. :D

Well, youre more than welcome to come on over and show me how they dont work. Maybe mine are broke.

I would but you're so dang stubborn I'm afraid we'd need to actually break your thumb or shoot it off for you to understand.

The sad part is you seem to understand that X amount of mass is required to make a recoil operated gun function but can't seam to grasp that X= mass of frame + imput from shooter and that as the mass of the frame goes down more imput is required from shooter to assure function.

The sad part is you seem to understand that X amount of mass is required to make a recoil operated gun function but can't seam to grasp that X= mass of frame + imput from shooter and that as the mass of the frame goes down more imput is required from shooter to assure function.

From what I've understood from AK's post it is that AK103K tried to reduce the "input from shooter" to as close to 0 as was possible thus trying to make the mass of the frame as big a proportion of X as is possible whilst still physically handling the gun. Despite this, the gun still functioned relatively well.

In other words, if regular limp-wristing is indeed the problem, reducing the "shooter input" to such levels would have elicited failures of greater frequency and far sooner than was seen in AK103K's "index and thumb" technique.

I agree with AK here that if failures are only just starting then, it seems unlikely that they'll be abundant when there is the immobilising stability of an entire hand (or two) acting on the grip, no matter how limp the wrist is.

I agree with AK here that if failures are only just starting then, it seems unlikely that they'll be abundant when there is the immobilising stability of an entire hand (or two) acting on the grip, no matter how limp the wrist is.

So you believe limp wristing a gun won't cause a jam at all?

I'm sorry but that is wrong.

Less arguments on what causes it and more practice of mag tap, slide rack, and trigger pull - go bang?

You're management right?

Don't fix the problem, just run around and deal with it.

Back