Wheelguns as houseguns- a viable alternative???

voodoo

I'm seriously considering a .357 S&W 686P for all-purpose shooting. Never considered a wheelgun for home defense (though I have several), mainly because of the reduced shot capacity.

FWIW, my current "house gun" is a .40 Glock (10 shot)

What are your opinions on wheelguns used as ome defense guns?

Voodoo, there's absoultely nothing wrong with a good wheelgun for defense. The fact that you have fewer shots really counts for nothing unless you're planning on missing a lot. Get a few speedloaders and practice the reload; it can be done very quickly. Just remember, it's opposite from an auto. With the auto, the strong hand holds the gun while the off hand manipulates the reload; revolver, it's the opposite.
Heck, I once saw a guy using a Smith M625 (.45ACP) with full moon clips do a reload faster than an auto. A thing o' beauty and a joy to behold.

------------------
Shoot straight regards, Richard at The Shottist's Center http://forums.delphi.com/m/main.asp?sigdir=45acp45lc

686+ 7 rounds, 1911, 7 rounds. I don't think you would be at a great disadvantage with the 686P. I find that gun to be very accurate, and for myself, it shoots groups less than 1/2 the size I can get out of any of my 45acp semis. Everyone has their own preferences, for me, the wheelgun works best.

------------------
Good shootin to ya
Plateshooter

Wheelguns work great for home defense. One caution, however, please use 38 specials for home defense ammo. At the short distances inside the home the 357 velocity is not needed and the violent muzzle blast and flash are bad news. In a night time defense scenario you would be effectively blind and deaf after the first shot.

Mikey

Voodoo,

Wheel guns have the advantage in that you can keep them loaded all the time without having to worry about magazine failure. With a mag fed semi-auto it is recommended to switch out mags periodically to reduce spring wear. Not a problem with a revolver.

Aren't most home defense shootings over in 3 to 5 shots? I've got a different read on this issue. My current bedside gun is a Glock, but I keep a S&W 38 there for my girlfriend. IMHO, a wheelgun is much easier for non-shooters to use. Even though my Glock is just about as easy to use, she feels more comfortable with the revolver. You can't argue with what works!

I think people have autos on the brain so bad
they can't see nothing else.JMO I have autos and I have revolvers, I like both. Voodoo, there's nothin' wrong w/ having a revolver for HD. If you can hit what you're aiming at
then that's good enough, as long as it's a decent caliber. I have a 44mag. beside my bed
loaded w/ 44 specials. I don't function well
when awakened abruptly, so I figured a revolver was my best bedside arm... FWIW

sorry to throw a wrench into this discussion of handguns for home defense, but really, a shotgun, open choke, loaded with #4 is much better than a handgun of any sort. as much as i love pistols, if i knew someone was going to attack me or my family, i wouldn't carry a pistol. i'd tote a shotgun. unfortunately the conventions of our soceity prevent the toting of shotguns. besides, they are just a bit inconveniently large. but for home defense that isn't really a concern.

You can also have the 686+ set up for moonclips for perhaps even faster reloads. The conversion can be done by Bob Miles, a supplier of moonclips to S&W, for $85 and clips are about $30 for 10. Bob is a very popular person with competition revolver shooters of ICORE (International Confederation of Revolver Enthusiasts).

I say "perhaps" as many competitive shooters prefer moonclips and Jerry Miculek used them to create world revovler speed records, but some people find the speedloaders more familiar. However, there are only two speedloaders for the 7-shot, HKS and SL Variant. HKS at $6 to $8 each are not as slick as the SafariLand speedloaders for 6-shot revolvers and feel cranky. The SL Variants are $30 each (say WHAT?).

[This message has been edited by Guy B. Meredith (edited January 03, 2000).]

Hi Voodoo,
Don't worry about keeping a revolver for self defense :). Good shot placement beats big bullet,and high cap every time :).

My two HD firearms are a Remington 1100 with 21" barrel and a S&W Model 66 with a 3" barrel.

Neil Casper

I would rather have a revolver for a "house gun" for the followoing reasons. Keep in mind that I love autos.

1. 1 in a million chance of a jam

2. Nothing better than a 357 JHP

3. My wife can use it without any problem

4. 6 or 7 rounds are fine, you are
unlikely to get into a sustained
firefight in your home..

VooDoo, I have also kept a loaded .38 revolver for home defense. I also have at hand a 12ga. Winchester pump gun. Nothing like hearing that slide rack.

------------------
Help Stamp Out Gun Ignorance.

You folks who plan on using .357 and .44 magnums for HD don't have any family living with you or neighbors close by do you? If so, you might give them a vote on your choices. I come down on the that wonderful chunk,chunk sound of the 12g beast licking its chops smelling yellerbellyscumsucker!

You have a good point.. a 357 round is not likely to be stopped by a bedroom wall. Fortunately my Wife and I live in a rual area where neighbors are not a concern.

voodoo - I currently use a Beretta Model 84 for bedside security and an accessable Ithaca D.S. Police Special. I'd feel just as good about one or another wheel guns. Partly for the same reason I like the Beretta - pull the trigger and it goes "bang". My theory being if I have time, I'll pass the Beretta on to my wife (who is only vaguely fluent in guns)and I'll pick up the 12 gage to do any out of the room investigation. If there isn't time and it's "Katie bar the door" then the Beretta works for me. But so would a Ruger Security Six or S&W 2.5 inch Model 19 (or more probably a Colt Diamondback if I ever get around to getting some +P loads for it).

Part of my reasoning is that I have two early warning devices that make any surprise unannounced presence in the house (or yard) extremely unlikely. Granted, the old one is getting along in years, and her arthritis makes her a bit slow in the mornings, but there ain't nothing wrong with her ears - and the young one is coming along nicely.

loknload - not that I disagree that the sound of a slide being racked in a dark room isn't something to turn your socks yellow - or even the distinctive click of a hammer being eared back - but the odds are low in my house that even I'd hear the slide being racked.

When I'm traveling without either of my early warning devices I take comfort in one or another variants of Mr. Browning's 1911 design - mostly because it is what I have with me - not that I'd feel any less secure with any wheel gun of .38 sp. or above. (With proper loads.)

------------------
Jim Fox

I think that a wheelgun chambered for .357 magnum loaded with .38 special's would be an outstanding choice for home defense OR carry. Heavier frame would make for reduced recoil on the wrists allowing for quicker second shots, and the .38 special has proven itself a very reliable load over time. On top of that, if you need more than 6 shots then the problem is you, not the gun.

Back