What's your working gun.

My GP rifle is a Remington Model 7 in .308. It's set up with a Leupold 2-7X compact scope, and a couple of years ago I dropped it into an H.S. Precision stock (olive with black web). It is light, balances well, and is hunting accurate with 150gr Core-Lokts. It sees more time afield than any other gun, with the possible exception of my .22s.

Rifle: Steyr Scout in .308 for general purpose hunting. Love the light weight, extreme accuracy and forward-mounted scope for rapid sight acquisition. For brush hunting, Marlin 336 in .30-30 (also with scout scope on Express Sights forward mount), sometimes replaced by Marlin 1894S in .44 Mag (iron sights) for sub-50 yard work on hogs. Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in .45-70 when hunting in bear country - full load of Garrett Hammerheads in case something with teeth comes looking for me!

Handgun: Redhawk in .44 Magnum, again with Garrett Hammerhead 310gr. rounds. Will take anything in North America if I put the bullet where I want it.

Shotgun: Haven't done much bird hunting yet, but I hope that will change shortly. I use a Remington 1100 LT-20 occasionally, but I guess I'll have to upgrade to 12ga. for greater versatility if I get into it more.

:)

Shotgun: Mossberg 500 pump in .410

Rifle(s): Ruger 10/22 for tree rats

and a Marlin 1895C lever action in .45-70 for everything else.

Or maybe my Remington 700BDL in 6mm.

:)

Last edited:
When its time for "meat on the table" the rifle is a Rem 700 in 7MM Rem Mag. Close, far, in between, big animlal or small get out the skillet.

Handgun......Ruger Superblack hawk. 44 magnum. Light the pit.

Shotgun Rem 1100 12 gauge 2-3/4' #6 lead magnums. Barrel 28"VR Mocified choke. Get out the gumbo pot.

H&H, my go to guns are a .375 H&H Sako 75 stainless with a 22" barrel and a semi-custom .458WM on a stainless Ruger 77 MK11 action with a 22" No.3 contour stainless Shaw barrel.
I live and hunt in southeast Alaska and I am also involved in and hunt Coutada No.5 in Mozambique.
I also carry a S&W 629 Classic with 5" barrel for daily protection against bears around my home(I live in the bush).
A close runner up is a model 700 350 Remington Magnum with a Bell and Carlson stock and 22" barrel. It is short, light and handy in the thick bush up here.
Always nice to hear from another big bore fan.

Marshall

Ruger Model 77 stainless synthetic .338 with a Nikon 3x9, loaded with Remington 210 gr. Nosler Partitions. Like labgrade, if I knew what I know now, when I bought it, I'd be carrying a lightweight .308 with a 2x8 Vari X III, when not in grizzly country.

My favorite is still my first. My first rifle as well as the first rifle I took a deer with.

A Remington 700 ADL in 30-06 with a Bushnell Elite 3200 3x6x40

It's pretty, it fits, it feels right and best of all, since I started reloading it shoots like a house afire:

Hornady 165gr BTSP
56.4gr IMR 4831
CCI Primer

Will group at 100yds under 1" (three shot) all day long and frequently under 1/2". Not bad for a factory rifle that hasn't been accurized in any way.

I love this rifle.

Marshall,
It's mighty refreshing to hear from a man who shares common experience and understands about short fast and big bore.

How are you involved in coutada #5?

I've a good friend that just got involved in a 1 millon acre lease in northwestern Mozambique.

E-mail me privately if you'd like.

Belgian Browning Auto 5 "Light Twelve"

5 shots without the "Magic Wand" (a 7 inch dowel), three shots with.

Full choke, so be careful with doves, but deadly on ducks and pheasants.

WGBV

PS And its older than me, to boot.

Latest toy is a Marlin 1895LTD in 45-70.

Have a customized Brazilian Mauser in 6.5-06 that works pretty well when the shots are out past 150 yds.

The Infallible One - a customized Ruger 77 (tang safety) in 7mm Dakota that reaches out and really puts the hurt on 'um!

Go to gun:

Let me have my .260 if it is medium/medium-big game we're going after. Although I haven't killed anything yet with this rifle, I have infinite confidence in it. Surgical precision and fast handling. Dang I love the Mountain Rifle!

If it flies or hops, all I need is a my 20ga 870. Nothing fancy, but I have killed enough with it to know what I can and can't do with it.

And please, don't pick on my "small" guns! Because if I am toting a handgun it is my 6" Ruger SuperBlackhawk .44 Magnum. Loaded with 300 gr hardcast handloads, its bite is worse than its bark!

Got two of em...1947 Mod 70 in .270 n a 1953 in 06........use the
06 on elk n the .270 on mulies.......both topped with Leupolds.
Dan:)

Browning Mark II Safari in 30.06 with a Nikon Monarch scope-For the deer and big game.

Browning Gold Hunter 12 GA. for the Birds (Crowes and Grouse) and oh yes shot one large Bobcat with it. Lightweight and easier to carry than the Remington 11-87 that I carried around in the Mountains for years.

Now and then if it is bad weather I will drag out one of the stainless bolt guns.

The 1953 Model 70 .30-06 w/ 3.5-10x50 (still sub-MOA if the ammo and I do our part!)

and/or

the Redhawk Hunter .44mag w/ 2x Leupold in a shoulder holster that still makes me feel silly every time I put it on (6'1" and I look like a kid dressing in Dad's gear!)

God Bless the model 70 and all mauser 98 type actions.:) And stainless steel never hurt anything either.

This is my custom Stainless model 70 in .458Lott.

Attachments

• bufflott.jpg
    bufflott.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 35
Here she is fully dressed with a luepold 1.75X6 that is her normal configuration. This gun has a 20" factory satinless barrel that I cut crowned and fluted. This rifle is one of "those guns" and has always been accurate right out of the box she'll print under an inch all day long. It is not uncommon for her to shoot under a half inch if the operator does his part. I commonly get sub 1.5 inch 200yard groups with her.

Oh well enough boring you with the family pictures.:D

My appologies to all you Remington owners out there;)

Attachments

• h&hbou.jpg
    h&hbou.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 43
Back