What's your working gun.

My "working gun" is an H&R topper in 20 gauge. It's a great gun for birds, since the stock is actually short enough to fit me, and it points well.

Whenever i'm out in the field, I have my 1911 on my hip and either a mini-14, an enfield number4 mk 1 or an m-1a.

Birds, Frankenstein, my overpublicized parts 870.

Deer, another 870, this one with a peep sight, mag extension to anchor the bbl and stabilize the vibrations, rifled choke tube, 3-4 lb trigger.

ML, TC High Plains Sporter, peep, 2 lb trigger, divers tweaks, and an unbroken string of one shot kills over a decade long.

Usually pack a handgun, but do not hunt with same.

Pre-64 Mod. 70 Win. in 30-06. Has 8x Redfield silhouette scope on it that is 100% repeatable for both elevation/windage. Works great on everything from hogs to nilgai.

Regards,
hps

Since I only hunt with handguns

its got to be my Ruger New Model Blackhawk in 45 long colt. Loaded with a 300 grain cast bullet @ 1100 fps it'll take any critter in the lower 48. so far its taken two boars and a sheep.
I have added others to the stable bu5t have'nt done much hunting in the last few years. :(

After graduating from a .22LR & a bit bigger stuff, a Rem ADL .243 - killed everything = one-stop-shopper for all I did till I moved out west & started on elk.

A .30-'06 & heavies was a must till I learned that a lighter weight .308 Win would do it just as well if I did my part (which I already did & just didn't know it).

Kinda same-same with shotguns. Started with a 20 & "graduated" to a 12, & finally realized that I could do at least 90%+ with "less" if I just did my part.

Funny. The older I get, the more I find that a bit less is just as good as more was when I wasn't so young.

Somehwhere there's a lesson there .... ;)

yep...simplicity is key for me. I have worked my selection down to only 4 types of rounds for all my firearms: .22, 10mm, .308, and 12ga. - sure makes buying ammo simpler... :)

Working gun

My 8x57 sporterized spanish mauser is my main working gun. It shoots where I hold it, was inexpensive, lets me practice a lot with all that cheap surplus ammo and does a very good job down range with the 150gr hornady spire points.Having been lucky enough to ahve taken 7 deer with the rifle in the past 4 years with none traveling more than 40 yards after the shot, I always reach for it first. The backups are an sks for the summer wood cutting and field brush hogging chores, a turk mauser and a mosin nagant. All of these do the job and do them well at a minimum of expense.

Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. Iron sights, shoot-through rings and a half decent scope. Whelen sling and we are in business. Hleps to put Loctite on the screws, however.:D

Can't believe nobody's mentioned a 30-30 yet.

Rifle-Winchester Pre-64 30-30=Old reliable

Shotgun-Smith&Wesson 20 ga. Yea, Smith made shotguns back in the day. :D I think it's a model 1000. 1st gun my dad ever gave me on my 11th birthday. I'll never get rid of that one. :)

TG

My working gun varies on what I intend to be hunting, but here they are:

Pistol: Dan Wesson 715-2 .357 Magnum (Backup gun I normally carry.) or T/C Encore with 10" .44 Magnum barrel (Deer hunting)

Shotgun: Remington 870

Rifle: T/C Encore with .270 barrel (deer) or with .22-250 barrel (varmints)

Pistol--Redhawk .44 mag

Shotgun--870 Wingmaster, modified

Rifle--SA M1A .308 Win. Even though I've never got a shot at an animal with it, I can hit well with it with irons and did carry it Elk hunting with no problems. If it ever did have a problem I could turn off the gas and use it as a straight pull bolt action.

In the past its always been a 700BDL in 30/06.

Deer rifle will be my "kick around gun" 30-06 Westernfield made by Mossberg for Montgomery Wards. Seriously, it is one of my most accurate guns.
Bird hunting will be my Ruger Red Label
Handgun hunting would be my Ruger Super Redhawk 44 mag.
Jim Hall

That would be my Remington 760 Carbine, cal 30.06. It is light and fast. I'm not afraid of a 200 yard shot with it, thought I don't see many when I hunt. I like the quickness of the pump action, especially for a big hog. It is as accurate as any rifle that I have ever hunted with.

760 pump = very underrated rifle.

Kinda funny that so many swear on a 12 pump, but shy away from a goodly pump rifle .... just an observation.

my 'money gun' is the Marlin 1894S, 44Mag. 5 deer, all one shot kills at under 75 yards. The areas I like to hunt, swamps around North Florida lakes, and the streams that feed and/or drain them, the little Marlin is right at home.

If the hunt is planned for more open areas, the FN Mauser in 7x57Ackley Improved, or the 8MM Mannlicher-Schoenauer is called on to do the job.

I carry a Ruger SA .45 Colt or the .44 Smith Mountain gun with me when I hunt or hike.

Warrior, where do you get cheap Hi-cap G-20 mags?

I wish I knew where to find them... have heard that you can find the orange "range mags" 15 rounders for $60 or so at matches...but the cheapest I have seen newish G-20 factory mags is $100. I got two 15 rounders with mine when I bought it. I have one in storage, and I use one for carry (which I seldom have the opportunity to do). I have 4 (or 5?) 10 rounders I use at the range - they get most of the use & abuse.

Shotgunning= Berreta Model A390 "Silver Mallard" edition.

Rifle = Remington model 700 in 6mm Ackley Improved "smithed" by Gordy Gritters.

Handgun = Savage Striker in 22-250.

12-34hom.

Back