What's your top 3 favorite handguns for home defense?

I use the same small DAO revolver in .38 Special that I carry concealed. I keep it on my person while at home and don't have other handguns staged around the house. I do have a Remington 870 staged on the inside of a closet with bicycle hooks above the closet door. All of the other firearms are locked in the safe.

(1) Colt 1911 pre 80 series or GI issue model
(2) Colt 1911—————-
(3) Colt 1911————-

I have north of 56 S&W revolvers which are very dependable and accurate. Only a couple fixed sight models. 1 Colt NS and one FN HP. Carried 1911 across the pond and have complete faith in it. It’s the ultimate people pruner in my opinion.

Lets see ... Top Three ... Handguns ... HD

1. S&W Model 58 41 Magnum

2. AMT Hardballer 45 ACP

3. S&W J-Frame Air Weight 38 Special

Gary

If magazine capacity is your primary concern, get a Calico, if you can.

I remember those, I brought in one for someone I knew, 100 rounds of 9mm plus a spare mag - it was a tad heavy fully loaded.

Even though I'm new I'll give it a shot.
1. Kimber KDS9C stainless (only one on this list I haven't handled. but it's a dream gun)
2. Glock 17
3. Walther PDP F series 4"

I prefer to retain what I have left of my hearing.
attachment.php

Attachments

• maxim9.jpg
    maxim9.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 121
1. revolver because it's simple to use by family members
2. revolver because the speed loader doesn't put wear on a spring like a magazine
3. revolver because I tend to lock my other handguns up.

What's your top 3 favorite handguns for home defense?

I may not be understanding this the same way everyone else is. You mention you wanted a gun under the $1,500 amount but I would think the amount should be well below that for defense purposes. No matter if you are a CHL holder out and about or defending your home from an intruder, if you aren't aware, should you ever use your handgun the first thing that happens is the handgun is confiscated by the police. It doesn't matter the situation or if you are justified. Until an investigation is completed your gun is confiscated and you may or may not get it back without a fight.

I was a CHL instructor for years and to get the state license I was required to take a week long course provided by the state of Texas for the license. In this class we spent one full day with legal concerning the law and the use of a handgun. Remember, you can be 100% in the right to defend yourself or your property and still have it cost you everything you own.

There are some things to always consider. Should your actions ever go to a jury trial you never want a gun that has any embellishment on it, no scripts (patriotic or otherwise), nothing to make it more sinister or lethal. Remember during a jury trial anything such as extended magazines, special ammunition and other things can be presented to a jury. If it is a civil trial because of a lawsuit by a family member of the person that tried victimize you the jury doesn't even have to be unanimous. If an attorney can paint a picture of you looking for an opportunity to use a firearm they will.

With that said, my daily carry is a Ruger LCR in .38 special. I've carried it in an ankle holster for years and if need be I'm not so proud of it I wouldn't take it out and slide it across the ground. It never fails to go bang when I pull the trigger and it never misses from 5-10 feet. If anyone is any further than that away from you then you probably shouldn't be shooting at them. For home defense I keep a Beretta 92FS loaded with jacketed hollow points. They don't over penetrate but are lethal and with 1 in the chamber and 15 in the magazine you aren't likely to run out. For those with hand cannons, you are responsible for every single round. Some magnums will travel through several walls and may strike an unintended target.

Well I got north of 100 handguns, %25 are 22s. I would rate my top 3 in this order:
1. Colt Commander 45acp
2. S&W m39 9mm
3. S&W m28 357mag , this being only 4” magnum I own, rest 6”-8 3/8”.

Also got my trusty Winchester 1897 sawed off stuffed with #4 Buck handy for things that go bump in the night.

My Wilson Combat Commander in .45acp, My Smith & Wesson 1066 in 10mm and my Winchester pump all black Riot gun with extended magazine.

Back