what's your opinion on the smith 19/66

JAFO216 wrote:

cant resist the urge to get something new , but being a lowly deputy sheriff i have to fund the new item by selling something else .

Podnah, I can certainly relate to your statement. I am STILL one of them, but have decided that I will resist the temptation to sell somehing I like to get something else I MIGHT like. I have too many regrets for things I let go, just to fiddle with something "new and improved."

On the other hand, I have picked up a few items over the years for which I didn't particularly care, and am always looking for a chance to upgrade. One good example was when a young jailer needed money badly and offered a pretty nice looking Star Firestar 9 mm, as new in box with extra mag and papers. I felt sorry for him--and his wife--and gave pretty nearly what the pistol was worth.

Turned out I really didn't like it. I mean, I actively DISLIKED it. Compact, yes, but WAY too heavy for the caliber. Too many sharp corners and uncomfortable to shoot. I finally made a good trade with a nice dealer on a .40 cal. Browning High Power. This was one of the few times I didn't regret letting an item go. Really do like that Browning.

Another, similar deal, though, worked out well for me. A deputy wanted a .40 Glock and had to let his revolver go to finance the deal. I paid almost his asking price for a very nice S&W Model 19, and we were both happy. I'd been looking to replace the 19 I'd swapped off in a momemt of weakness and had regretted ever since. Like so many others in this topic string, I can't see doing along without at least one S&W Magnum, and the Model 19 is my favorite.

Try to hang onto your nice guns, if at all possible. Most dealers have a layaway program, and a lot of individuals will let you pay out on something, too. Or do as I do: Just decide to go without lunch on duty for however long it takes to pay for the new item. I also give up on movies and buying new books, and rely on the public library for my reading material. This is a good measure of how much I want a new, or "Used-but-new-to-me gun." If I begin regretting the decision, I know I don't want the item as much as I thought at first.

Sometimes it isn't easy, being a servant of the people, fightin' crime, supressing evil, and advancing truth, justice, and the American way! Oops, sorry. Not really a martyr, just greedy.

Best,
Johnny

I second the words that lots of magnum rounds will abuse model 19's. I "rebuilt" a 2 3/4" snubbie with a complete trigger and hammer replacement and adding shim washers in the cylinder and yoke to get rid of the shakes. Even the yoke was out of alignment. I reamed the cylinder pivot inside and end. Luckily it worked out perfectly. Front and back spaces are fine. This 19 was a police turn-in.
Jarod
PS I only use 38 Sp it now (Fed "Personal Defense")
Also the Hogue Monogrip on the round butt is great!
PSS - only bad thing on this 19 is there is no gas ring in front of the cylinder. Crud builds up in the cylinder pivot.

Back