what's your opinion on the smith 19/66

It looks like you may be convinced already, but I need to say my piece.

My two favorite handguns are my 4" Model 19 and my 3" Model 66. Love them both. I shoot them both in IDPA.

One or the other is in the Bedroom with the Rem. 1100 all of the time.

I never plan on being without a K-frame magnum revolver again.

Neil

I found a new Model 19 for $325 last year! It is beautiful with Hogue Pau Ferro grips added. I was suprised when I took it to the range and fired it extensively with .38 +P loads. It is very shootable and can hit small and distant targets. When fired double action accuracy is still excellent. The handing and balance are perfect and accuracy superb.

My Model 19 4" round butt is my favorite handgun. It's one for all purposes...load it with soft .38 wadcutter loads for target shooting, hot .357 hardcast loads for hunting, or your JHP of choice for self-defense. It's totable, good enough for target work, extremely versatile due to the hundreds of loads in .357/.38, and a finely balanced and attractive package. Mine has a Pau Ferro monogrip on it, and it feels and handles like no other handgun I've owned.

sw19small.jpg

Bought a 66 with 2.5 barrel for $230. The gun is a police trade-in and is around 24 years old. I love it, the trigger is glass smooth. That gun is my primary house gun.

My satin nickel ( factory ) 2 1/2" 19 needs end shake corrected.

My 6" nickel I traded off though I loved it, because it would sometimes skip chambers. ( Didn't know at the time a rebound spring would cure problem ). After learning that, never saw another 6" nickel in good shape.

And I need a 4" nickel.

Matter of fact, need a second 2 1/2" and 2 of each of the others ( spares ).

yet again wow the response on this gun is outstanding. I would like to know what you guys think of the L-frame magnums, the 586, 686, 686+ and so on. I only ask because my uncle's favorite gun is a 4" 686+. he shoots fairly heavy loads with it, and swears it's the best pistol ever made. I have a model 18 k frmae 22 combat masterpiece, and that is why i am interested in the k-frames. the model 15 38 special doesn't feel right, but the slightly heavier 19 in 357 feels perfect. what's your take on it. should i stick with the 19, or go for the bigger model. I will shoot mostly 38's so i'm probably not gaining anything by the bigger frame but i figured i'de ask.

I personally don't care for the 686 nearly as much.

I don't like the balance, I feel that the full underlug really screws with that.

I also don't like the looks of the full underlug.

A Model 19 is a lifetime gun.

Period. Notice how some posts above relate they have either kept one through the ages, or when they sold one, they ended up buying another? I received this one as a present from my mom over 15 years ago, she bought 3 of them from the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources when they switched to wondernines. I even used it in an IHMSA silhouette match, firing full-magnum .357 HydraShoks, to win the Field Pistol Category. The gun came through just fine, but my hand started protesting after about 50 rounds. Since then I load 158gr SWC .38's, and some .357's with Berry's 158gr plated bullets. The Model 19 is a wonderfully balanced combination of revolver and cartridge. If you get a Combat Magnum, you won't regret it.

View

I have to echo what Mike said above. The balance and weight just doesn't feel quite as nice as the 19/66. I'm starting to feel that the 'plus' cylinder also hinders the trigger pull to an exent, though I may be off-base in that regard. Something about the extra mass of the cylinder, and the extra inertia as it spins. It's just not 'quite' as smooth as the Ks.:) I would make an exception for the L-frame Mountain Gun, though.:D

There is a 4 inch nickel 19 on auctionarms and also a blue snub. I am looking for a snub nickel. Had a snub 66 and sold it.

Stick with the 19.

The L frames have their place and their own following. If the K frame feels perfect, the L frame will always feel a bit odd. Ditto anything other than a six shot K frame. Those new K frame 617's just don't feel "right", at least not for me.

"I would make an exception for the L-frame Mountain Gun, though."

The 357 mountain gun, i hadn't thaught about that one. anyone got a take on this model?
(don't worry, i'm sold, if i got it, it would be in addition to a m19)

Yeah, 19's can wear. That's why after I get mine retuned, I'll practice with 38's in it, and save the magnum shooting for the 4" N frame Highway Patrol I got for sub-caliber practice for my 3 4" 41 mags.

K frames are for carry. N frames are for shooting the hot stuff.

I've never owned a K frame .357 magnum. I have two L frames, an M686+ 6" and a 4" mountain version. I also have a 4" highway patrolman N frame, as well as a Python and a vaquero. I've often thought about an M19 or M66 but always end up with something else. The last time I was eyeing an M66, I ended up with a .45 colt mountain gun. When I shoot .38 specials, I have a M15 combat masterpiece and a Colt Diamondback that handle those chores. I do not see the reason for shooting .38's in a gun chambered for .357's. If you do you gotta fight the 'ring in the cylinder issue to be able to use .357's. I think about combat magnums, but I cannot see what they can do that my other guns cannot do better. Am I missing something? Would a M19 fill a void in my arsenal that I'm not seeing? let me know what you think..Ron

I'm with Mike on this. The Model 19/66 balances better for me. The 686 just doesn't balance as well.

I usually shoot .38s -- I find .357 Mag to be a bit unpleasant. If you're going to be shooting primarily full-power .357, then sure, get the 686. But if you're going to be shooting primarily .38s, then you don't need the extra weight of the 686.

M1911

Love those 19/66 guns . Still wish I had my old 66 with the roller action . Sure are sweet guns . You cant go wrong . Be sure and watch the timing and check the cylinder for endshake and a sprung yoke which would allow the cylinder to slide off past the stop on the frame . Other than that they are great guns and I like em alot . happy shooting .

JAFO216:

Repeat after me the creed of the Gunny religion:

"Never sell a gun. Never sell a gun. Never, ever, ever sell a gun!"

M1911

m1911 , i keep hearing that but i cant resist the urge to get something new , but being a lowly deputy sheriff i have to fund the new item by selling something else . i hope someday to win the lottery and buy all the guns i want and then just swap them out in the gunsafe . thats after i quit my job become a reserve and buy my dream hunting lodge and land .

The 686 appears to be the next logical step in the evolution of the 66. On top of that it feels great in my hand..Like Mike and some others, I LOVE my 4" M66 and would'nt trade straight up for a 686. I think it is the balance.

Back