what's your opinion on the smith 19/66

bullfrog99

There are a lot of law enforcement trade in(i'm assuming) model 19 and 66 smith 357 magnum floating around for reasonable prices, what's your opinons on the gun itself, and has anyone baught one of these guns, what kind of condition are they in?

It is an excellent gun, overall. If you are not sure what to look for regarding a used revolver, take an experienced friend along with you. There is also plenty to be found in searching here, on TFL. The old adage about 'carried much, and shot little' doesn't always apply just because it was a LEA gun. SOME cops are shooters, too.:)

I know what to look for in a used revolver, however this would be pretty much a I hope i get a nice one buy, trusting in the choice of some guy working at the distributer. i am just looking for feedback on the general condition of the guns. good point on the carried much shot little though.

The Model 19 is, in my opinion, simply the most perfect combination of size, weight, balance, ergonomics, power, portability, and reliability ever put into a single handgun.

I'm with Mike on this. The model 19/66 is probably my favorite revolver. Wonderful trigger. Great balance. I personally prefer it to both the Ruger GP100 and the S&W 686. The 19/66 just feels better.

If you look around a bit, I'm sure you can find a good used one.

M1911

It's undoubtedly the best 357

for its size. It was designed with input from Bill Jordan, the fast draw expert, who found the N-frame 357 too unwieldy. The Mod 19 is a K-frame and the Mod 66 IIRC is the Stainless version of the 19?

They are a rugged, dependable, accurate weapon.

Whoops, I left out a paean to the 19s INCREDIBLE versatility thanks to it being chambered in .357 Magnum.

If you can only afford one gun, you'd be WAY ahead of the curve if you make it a Model 19/66.

I consider the 4" S&W M-19 to be the Standard against which all other Service Revolvers are measured. Danged few come near the mark.

I still miss my old M-19, but Bobby just waved too much money in front of me to let it pass.

Doc Hudson

I have a 19 I bought new in the early 70's and will never sell.I just rebuilt it(timeing and lockup)after about 45,000 rds.You can't go wrong with one.

4" model 19's are unsurpassed and in my humble opinion they are every bit as nice as Pythons with just a tiny amount of tweaking.

Hope I don't discourage anyone, but---

I love the K-frame S&Ws, most especially including the M-19, and its offspring, the fixed-sight M-13, and their stainless brothers, the 66 and 65, respectively.

One thing to remember--Bill Jordan said it himself: When they introduced the 19, Cops (especially) practiced with .38 wadcutter and 158 RNL service loads, and didn't shoot full house magnums much. A 19 would last indefinitely that way, shooting only 50 or so mag loads per year.

But when, later on, it became fashionable for agencies to have their personnel qualify with duty ammo or the equivalent remanufactured stuff, the medium frame revolvers began wearing rapidly. They developed end shake and went out of time, confirming what sport and hobby shooters and handloaders had long known. This is one reason the Colt Python and Trooper, and the S&W M-28 Highway Patrolman revolvers retained their popularity for so long. And was the immediate reason for the development of the L-frame S&W line (586, 686, and those similar.)

I am not talking down the K-frame mags, but I don't want to see anyone disappointed. Especially with the current, downloaded, factory mag loads, though, it takes a while to loosen one up.

Best,
Johnny

I have indeed heard what Johnny said, that a 19/66 will lose its timing if you shoot a LOT of full house .357 mag loads. I suspect that my 66 can take a lot more .357 mag loads than I can. I usually shoot .38 Spcl wadcutters or .38 +P semi-wadcutters. I just don't enjoy shooting a lot of .357 mag loads. YMMV.

M1911

Not FULL HOUSE mags, but formidable.

I got my first Model 19 in 1968 and REALLY used it. I used an old Lymman two-cavity 158 SWC mould and cast bullets from wheel weights. I have no idea how many thousands of these I loaded in .38 Special cases with 5.0 gr. of Unique (NOTICE: NOT FOR LIGHT FRAME REVOLVERS, and SURELY not for alloy frames! That was a fine long range load, and had enough recoil to feel as I was shooting a REAL gun.

Same bullet with 7.5 gr. Unique in .357 cases was more vigorous, but I didn't have many mag cases back then.

Sure wish I still had that shootin' arn. Kept if for about eight years and ended up trading it in on a Colt .44 Special Single Action Army.

I later got one of the very first Model 66s released, just about the time I got a job that allowed me to carry a .45 auto. Therefore, I sold the 66 for a lot more than I had in it, and we were both happy. There have been more .357 mags since then, and I have a good Model 19 now.

All best,
Johnny

Toss in another kudos for the 19/66 - 2X 2.5" 66s (one's The Wife's fave) & a 4" 19 (dittos as perhaps the best all 'round six gun) here. I'd rather have the 3" (or longer) bbl on the 66s for the full-length extractor tho', but the shorter one has yet to cause any worries ....

Many models that are more heavy-duty, lighter, whatever, but for my $s, gimme 19/66 for what we do.

BTW, 15s are slick for "just" .38 specials ....

*sigh*
I'm a sucker for a pretty face. The Model 19 is the prettiest face ever made. Classic lines, pinned barrel, recessed chambers, wide target hammer and trigger, real honest to goodness wood target grips. Combat Masterpiece isn't just marketing hype to me it's a Siren's song.
*sigh*
oh yeah my opinion,,,,,
If I found one with slightly longer than shoulder length hair and a decent paying job, I'd run away to Vegas with it tomorrow,,,,if my wife let me of course ;)

The Model 66 is almost as good, but I don't care for stainless steel all that much. In a carry or work gun though, I have to admit a preferance for SS and the 66. The 19's are just too pretty to risk messing up the bluing.

I agree with all the nice things said about the 19. If I had a choice would MUCH prefer 19 to 66. Appearance and strength issues.

Sam...follow me, that road is only a little bit closed.

Back