What's Your Favorite Pump Gun!

I shot an Ithaca 37 at the NYPD range on City Island, visiting Lt Mcgee, I was on my way to visit the S&W factory.
As a firearms Instructor, running my company for 25 years in Ontario Canada, I suppose I was not a bad shot! Lou added me to one of the Emergency teams, they were a man short. The Ithaca 37 I was given to shoot the shotgun portion, had seen many miles of use! Not sure of the barrel length but less than the legal length for sure. Just a bead sight.
Holding the trigger back and just pumping, it was a machine gun! When they saw my love of that old warhorse, they made sure it got left behind!
The 870 I brought down with me from Canada, had a 14" barrel on it in Canada, the length that was legal there, factory barrel too! But swapped it for an 18" model. With the one-piece pistol grip plastic stock. Slick. Extended tube.
On my visit to the NYPD range, the recruiting class were 100 stronger, 50 on the turning target range at a time, huge! I am awaiting delivery of an older model Ithica 37. The way you can hold the mod 37 upside down, load it sight unseen, rack and go.

I have a sawn off Model 37 for home defense, but the BEST pump I ever saw was the Remington Model 31. My Neighbor the Gunsmith had a trap model that was very fine.

You do not have to hold the Ithaca upside down, just (with action open) hold a shell on two fingertips. Then lift it upward into the action pushing the lifter forks up.
at one point the shell is in front of the bolt, then slide the forearm forward.
Be careful not loading your fingers too, the bottom extractor is very sharp.
This is a learned maneuver, but the gun is loaded and no one knows you did.

Not being a hunter, my Winchester Model 12, 28" fixed choke [Mod], has never been in the rain, or mud. These old "Paper Shell" barrel/chokes are "super" tight. I've shot higher scores from the 26-yard line than I shot from the 16-yard line with this shotgun.

If the weather looks bad, I got a Remington "Wingmaster" that gets treated Like a "Redheaded Step Child". I've got almost a dozen different barrels for it and at least a couple of buttstocks

Last edited:
The Ithaca 37, Win Model 12, 870 Rem, and 500 Mossberg are all favorites of mine. But with out any doubt at all, my Win 97`s are my all time favorite Pump Shotguns

Back