What's Your Favorite Pump Gun!

870 WingMaster

Have to admit that I am a bit biased and my preference is based on my own limited exposure. ..... :rolleyes:
1) 870 WingMaster; not to be confused with the Express.
2) Ithca 37 W vent-rib
3) Browning BPS Up-Land

There are some reports of rusting with the Remingtons and poorly finished chambers that cause shells to get stuck and fail to extract.
You are referring to the Express models and I too have had to address your listed problems. I have never had a problem with the WingMasters. My older Corn-Cobb forend has served me well. …… :)

Be Safe !!!

I have a few but my favorite is an inexpensive Remy Clone - Pardner Protector... The damn thing is SOLID. Still can't believe I picked that one up for like $110 back in the day.

1. Ithaca Model 37 (mine is from 1944j. The stock just fits me better than anything off the shelf and I really like the dog and bird roll engraving on the right receiver. I like that it ejects out the bottom, and I like that the takedown makes cleaning the shell tube so easy. I seem to get seeds and bits of leaf in there. The action and trigger are fantastic.
2. 870 Wingmaster, the proper one. Mine was from the early ‘60s. The fit is almost as good for me, but I can see thats a matter of how your body is shaped. No roll engravings but also beautiful wood and steel. I admit I like how easy it is to clean the bolt assembly.

Why can’t it be easy to clean the tube AND the bolt assembly?

I had a benelli fot turkey hunting and the thing took magnum turkey loads, had that camo stuff, was perfectly reliable. It is probably fine for duck hunting or turkey hunting when you have a strong kid to carry that artillery piece around for you, but I don’t miss it one bit. Not it’s fault it’s just not got the elegance of the classics.

Win m12, Rem 31 and Ithaca 37 are the best three pumps ever made. Anything made since these guns demise has been a down hill spiral of race to the bottom. Some models like 870 were better made at one time but the stamped guns have never compared to milled parts guns. The Ithaca was born out of the Rem series pumps built on m10 family. The new

The Remington 11-48 ushered in the era of stamped parts after WWII developed methods showed they were quite acceptable, and all 870s have always had those.
I have owned all of them but a 37, and having shot several never felt the urge to own one. A Wingmaster has never disappointed me. Bought an Express and killed two geese with the first two shots, but I missed the joy of caressing that shiny bluing and walnut in the blind so I had to part with it.

In regards to Drm50's statement, "Anything made since these guns demise has been a down hill spiral of race to the bottom." I own 5 Remington 870's, a 1953 12 gauge WM, a 1969 12 gauge WM, 1st year production 1994 28 gauge Express, a newer .410 bore Express and just picked up a brand new 20 gauge Express and while the latter three aren't as pretty as the two Wingmasters they have performed flawlessly over the years and taken their fair share of grouse and Woodcock (Haven't hunted with the 20 gauge yet). But regardless of which gun I pull off the wall to hunt with or shoot trap or skeet with I by no means feel that I am using a bottom of the barrel gun. Not only that, one has to consider the tradeoffs of owning a "superior" vintage gun. One is parts availability and in that regard the 870 reigns supreme while the model 31 parts are becoming harder to find by the day. One can still find model 12 parts but how about 20 years from now when your son or grandson is using that same shotgun. Please. I love old shotguns and have a beautiful 1942 Winchester model 1897. But I will never view my 870's as a bottom of the barrel choice. Easy to clean, easy to carry, easy to repair (never have had to), goes bang EVERY time and hits what I point at. What more does one need. The only advantage I will concede with owning a model 12 or 31 is perhaps pride of ownership (I like old things)

Hear, Hear! regaring classics.

For hunting upland, love my 4 M37's, [12, 2x-16's & 20]

For specific Ruff grouse, 1979 Ruger RedLabel - 20 [Skt & Skt]

Turkey - Win97 with full hoke, BWN A5 [12MAG, STD 12, & Std 16]

Deer or Bear the above and Moss 500, with scope, using Brenneke slug.

Defense ; ALL the ABOVE!

Presently trying to work a deal on a SWEET 16!!!

I have Mossberg 500s, Winchester 97s, Ithaca 37s, Remington 870s, and Browning BPS. The 37 gets my vote for being the easiest to shoot mostly dove and quail. I never hunt water fowl so I can't honestly make statements to that effect. If the doves are flying high, the Win 97 gets the call. The others get some use at targets and game birds just to keep them in the mix.

Ithaca Model 37, all steel, no stampings, or plastic parts!!
Nice walnut stocks and handles like a dream.

For a while they made a aluminum alloy model that is lighter than the standard model.
My 20 gauge UltraLight weighs less than five pounds. The problem is trying to find
one! They were made in 12,16, and 20 gauge's. The 20's come up every so often,
12's nd 16's are scarce as hen's teeth!!

My all time favorite has always been the Model 37.

I have an Express and agree with the comments regarding poor finish prone to rust and FTE issues. These are Express issues and do not seem to be the case with the Wingmaster. There's a reason for the big price differential between the two.

I also have a Winchester SXP which has been trouble free and is butter smooth. I think it is one of the better budget pumps.

If I were to go out today and buy a pump, I’d be looking for a tactical version and would most likely choose the FN P-12. For sheer smoothness and the way it handles and fits.

Second choice would be the 590A1, because I really like the location of the controls.

The problem is trying to find

I had wanted a 37 in 16 or 20 for years and lucked into one in a lot from a friend's Dad who wanted to get rid of what he had. Got a BPS, 2 Mossys' and a 37. The 37 is a Featherlight in 16g. Still working on it. Stripped the stock and added a recoil pad so far.

PatientWolf, not a lot of people have handled the P12. It is a sweet tactical pump gun.

One very nice thing about the Ithaca is you can load the chamber with
everyone looking at you.

You palm a shell, then lift the shell up into the receiver pushing the forks upward.
Lifting the shell in front of the bolt and then pulling the forearm forward.
This is a learned exercise and once mastered you will wonder why you did not
do this before.
Oh yeah be careful you don't load your fingers too!!

Most shooters shove a shell into the magazine then cycle the action to
load the chamber. This little trick is so much better.

The Ithaca Model 37 has always been my favorite in terms of aesthetics, but in terms of form and function my favorite is the Mossberg 590 Shockwave.

For a while they made a aluminum alloy model that is lighter than the standard model.
My 20 gauge UltraLight weighs less than five pounds. The problem is trying to find
Put me into the Ithaca M37 camp as well. I have two, one a 16 GA M37 made in 1943 and an English Ultralight M37 in 20 GA made in 1984. The Ultralight weighs less than some of my .22 rimfire rifles.
Gary

Back