What's your favorite micro subcompact pistol?

My pocket pistol is a Sig P-238. It shoots very well, has excellent sights, and fits easily in the pocket of slacks or suit pants.

I have a larger pistol that I carry when I can carry IWB, but I can't always, and the little Sig is nice to have for those occasions when IWB doesn't work.

For a pocket pistol, I go with the Sig P238. Had an LCP for a while, but it was hard to control and fire accurately. Too much "snap." The much better constructed Sig is much better. Just went to the range and put 38 out of 40 in the 10 or x ring at 7 yards. The other two rounds were fractions of an inch outside the 10 ring. Not bad for a micro pistol.

03 Colt

The grand old 1903 Colt carries very well, flatter than a fritter is very helpful. By today's standards it is big, heavy, and underpowered. But it does carry nicely.
My light duty carry is a Ruger LCP, I force myself to run a magazine through it every range trip. Rather like being punished.

I am of the opinion that a heaver handgun absorbs recoil better than light ones and therefore offers a faster target acquisition for follow up shots, therefore, my favorite CC is my Sig P-238 Spartan with a steel frame and slide.

attachment.php

Last edited:
HTML:
I like the M&P Bodyguard 380 too, very easy to carry in a pocket holster, and way 
more accurate than a pistol that size has any right to be.

Ridgerunner665 - Can't think of a better way to express my thoughts (above) on a Bodyguard 380.

I carry in pocket holster and shoot it nearly every time I go to range. It even shoots decent at 50 - 75 even 100 yds with some practice (just for fun).

I like the double action hammer but the trigger does suck.

But I will use this phrase, from Clint Smith I think, to make my point "Comfort and convenience are poor measures for determining what type of handgun you carry for self defense". If you need a handgun to save your life or that of ones you love, you really need it. Correspondingly, you thus need a handgun that gives the best opportunity with which you can fight and win. By almost any measure, a larger handgun is easier to shoot well. Depending on model and caliber, a larger gun may be of bigger caliber and have a higher magazine capacity. More the better.

With all due respect, Clint Smith’s heyday was a few years past. I don’t think his writings match the context of today where a 12 shot, compact in 9mm shooting FBI test capable ammo in an extremely easy to shoot platform was common. Today you have a plethora of P365, Shield Plus, etc guns.

While I still carry large guns on occasion, 10+ 9mm rounds does well enough.

NONE of the above-mentioned guns are as small, thin, lightweight as the Keltec P32. Because it is (the only) locked breech .32 acp, recoil is very manageable. The pre-cocked DA trigger is very manageable.

The OP was speaking of the .32 acp Beretta Tomcat, which has ended up being a thick, heavy gun.

NONE of the above-mentioned guns are as small, thin, lightweight as the Keltec P32. Because it is (the only) locked breech .32 acp, recoil is very manageable. The pre-cocked DA trigger is very manageable.

The OP was speaking of the .32 acp Beretta Tomcat, which has ended up being a thick, heavy gun.
Hasn't the P32 been discontinued?

Thanks.

It is amazing that they could design it in a way so that recoil is manageable in a pistol that is only 7oz.

I have a Kimber Micro, a LCP Max and a LCP. Out of all three I prefer the LCP Max with a 10 round mag.. I can get 2 ½ fingers out of three for a good grip and I shoot it well. I carry it IWB Appendix as well as pocket carry. When clothes dictate deeper cover I prefer the LCP.. I often carry it sans holster in my trousers front pocket. The safety on the Kimber Micro is to easy to knock off and that, coupled with the short, light trigger stroke makes it uncomfortable for me to pocket carry.

heydays

Yeah, OK, to each his own, and like I stated, I would rather have good folks armed, than unarmed. If one insists on carrying a micro, best of luck.

The FBI has told us before what was best, until it failed or they found something new and "better". I'm very careful about drinking their kool-aid.

Carry what you want, but I maintain that one will shoot (and fight) better with a full sized gun.

I really like Beretta Tomcat, which is <5 inch in length and weighs as little as 14.5 oz unloaded. The Ruger LCP max is even lighter at 10.6 oz.

However, due to my limited knowledge in guns, I wonder if there are better options out there? Many thanks.

The question is: For what purpose?

As a SD carry, the micro .380 is all but useless.

For any reasonable performance, it needs a > 3.5" Bbl., and careful attention to ammo selection.

That said, a 3" Bbl'ed 9mm, especially w/ 147 gr. subsonic ammo, works just fine.

So, my choice for a micro CCW is the Sig P-938, loaded with Federal std. pressure 147 gr. HST.

It is small, ~ 19.5 oz. loaded 6+1, and supremely precise, with accuracy better than most service pistols.

Red

The question is: For what purpose?

As a SD carry, the micro .380 is all but useless.

For any reasonable performance, it needs a > 3.5" Bbl., and careful attention to ammo selection.

That said, a 3" Bbl'ed 9mm, especially w/ 147 gr. subsonic ammo, works just fine.

So, my choice for a micro CCW is the Sig P-938, loaded with Federal std. pressure 147 gr. HST.

It is small, ~ 19.5 oz. loaded 6+1, and supremely precise, with accuracy better than most service pistols.

Red
It seems that P938 is a solid choice. Many thanks.

I usually carry a KelTec PF9. It's not exactly comfortable to shoot, but it almost always fits in my pocket. If it doesn't, the P32 is my choice. That will always fit somewhere. Sure, these are "last ditch" guns, but if you're shooting in public spaces, it's close and desperate.

Back