What's your favorite micro subcompact pistol?

Tool

I really like Beretta Tomcat, which is <5 inch in length and weighs as little as 14.5 oz unloaded. The Ruger LCP max is even lighter at 10.6 oz.

However, due to my limited knowledge in guns, I wonder if there are better options out there? Many thanks.

Last edited:
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

9mm is complicated.

9mm Corto is 9mm Kurz, is 9mm Browning Short is some .380 but not all .380s. (our friends on the other side of the pond made sure .380 would be complicated as well)

9mm Luger is 9mm Parabellum is 9x19 but it's not 9mm Corto or 9mm Kurz or 9mm Browning Short or any .380.

When most folk on this side of the pond talk 'micro 9mm' they are often talking about small 9mm Luger or 9mm Parabellum or 9x19. The two you mention are the former; .380. And there are lots of smaller .380 pistols. The Tomcat (3032) has a really fat grip and so I find it easier to control than the Ruger LCP variations and far more comfortable to shoot. But it's harder to conceal with that fat grip. Another current offering in the same general tiny size is the S&W Bodyguard 380, small and slim like the LCPs and I find it slightly more manageable.

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

9mm is complicated.

9mm Corto is 9mm Kurz, is 9mm Browning Short is some .380 but not all .380s. (our friends on the other side of the pond made sure .380 would be complicated as well)

9mm Luger is 9mm Parabellum is 9x19 but it's not 9mm Corto or 9mm Kurz or 9mm Browning Short or any .380.

When most folk on this side of the pond talk 'micro 9mm' they are often talking about small 9mm Luger or 9mm Parabellum or 9x19. The two you mention are the former; .380. And there are lots of smaller .380 pistols. The Tomcat (3032) has a really fat grip and so I find it easier to control than the Ruger LCP variations and far more comfortable to shoot. But it's harder to conceal with that fat grip. Another current offering in the same general tiny size is the S&W Bodyguard 380, small and slim like the LCPs and I find it slightly more manageable.
Many thanks for recommending the S&W Bodyguard 380. I didn't know it is so much smaller than the Shield Plus.

My pocket gun is a Ruger LCP Max (380 ACP), lots of research and shooting when into that before I purchased. I updated the trigger and after that I am very happy with it.

Appendix carry is a M&P Shield Plus (9mm) which I had ported and milled for a Holosun EPS Carry optic. Again, lots of research and shooting done before buying and I also changed the trigger in it. Very happy with it as well.

Lots of options, good luck finding what is right for you.

I have owned a Kahr PM9 which I use for EDC (pants pocket).

For .380 I have owned several LCPs, currently an LCP Custom (aluminum trigger and larger sights). Have also owned a Remington RM380 and a Kahr CW380 (wish I still had that one).

I like the M&P Bodyguard 380 too, very easy to carry in a pocket holster, and way more accurate than a pistol that size has any right to be.

Look at the Keltec P32. It's smaller, much lighter, and much thinner than the Beretta Tomcat. It holds more ammunition, too. It's a locked breech design that is very reliable.

The 32 family are yet another really valid herd of pistols. 7.65 or 32acp has been an accepted military pistol round with just about every nation that's had a military. One I carry pretty often was made by the Italian firm Bernardelli.

attachment.php

Attachments

• VB-04-small.jpg
    VB-04-small.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 1,270
7.65 or 32acp has been an accepted military pistol round with just about every nation that's had a military

For staff officers and others not expected to see combat.

police use, yes, but not even the French adopted the .32 ACP as a combat service round. :D

The closest thing I have to a micro subcompact is still much bigger than what's on the market today.

I use a Mauser HSc (.32acp or .380ACP) and compared to today's guns, they're bigger and much heavier.

On the other hand, every part that isn't the grips is steel. Which is comforting to me, because when everything else fails (rare, but not impossible), your pistol is an impact weapon. ;)

I own police and even prison guard issued 7.65 pistols; an Austrian Walther PP, Italian Prison System Beretta 81, A German Military JP Sauer & Sohns 38h and a VoPo 38h.

The one I mostly carry is my Ruger LCP--not because I like it the best, but because it conceals best in a pocket holster and I carry larger guns when possible. Beyond that, my Khar CM9 or Sig P238.

Kel tec p3at

I have a Kel tec p3at. Chambered in 380 it is easily concealed. I use it when I have to dress up. It’s the only gun I carry in the IWB mode. It does not see a lot of range time as two or three magazines is about all my hands can take. That thin grip puts a lot of pressure in a small area.

Life is good.
Prof Young

I have a Bodyguard 380. As issued, it has a less than great trigger. I had the trigger replaced with an upgrade and added night sights. That said, as soon as FN offers the FN Reflex with a manual safety, I think I’ll get one of those.

The Bodyguard 380 with a sticky holster is about perfect for front pocket carry. The FN is for other use.

armed

At the risk of being labeled paranoid and overly tacticool I respectfully submit the following.

Beyond mental awareness, the first issue in SD is having your firearm (and tools) with you. There is no doubt that the micro guns w/ pocket carry make that component much easier. As is often said, it beats a sharp stick. I freely admit I do not have a micro, or having a great deal of experience with the breed. I have carried a smaller lighter gun occasionally when there was just no way I could conceal a larger gun with on body carry. I have also carried smaller guns as a second (or third) gun when in uniform.

But I will use this phrase, from Clint Smith I think, to make my point "Comfort and convenience are poor measures for determining what type of handgun you carry for self defense". If you need a handgun to save your life or that of ones you love, you really need it. Correspondingly, you thus need a handgun that gives the best opportunity with which you can fight and win. By almost any measure, a larger handgun is easier to shoot well. Depending on model and caliber, a larger gun may be of bigger caliber and have a higher magazine capacity. More the better.

Understand, I would rather have you armed than unarmed. And pocket carry of a micro may be you only viable option given your circumstances at work or wherever. I get it. But look very carefully at your situation and why you carry the micro. My observation is that it is largely done by convenience. Wardrobe, weather and lifestyle could allow the carry of a larger, more capable firearm, but folks do not. It's a whole lot easier to drop the micro in your pocket and hope nothing happens.....'cause it usually
doesn't. But if it does.........

Another old mantr to close..."bring enough gun".

Back