What's your favorite Matches and Why

Bullseye (Smith 41), 3 gun (Smith 41, 52 and Colt 45), Bowling pin (Auto 45, Revolver 44 Mag), Skeet (Remington 1100), Trap (Remington 870), Sporting Clay (Remington 1100). I just enjoy shooting competition.
Would like to shoot long range but only have 200 yard range around here.

Bullseye, both indoor in the fall, winter, ends in early spring, then outdoors for the summer.

I'm too old and out of shape for any run and gun stuff. However I did try IDPA practice this last summer and found that doable.

PPC. Started shooting PPC back in 1998. Clawed my way up to Master, which took 3 years. Around 2004 quit. Started again in 2016, and first match was Master level scores. I guess it's like riding a bicycle, you just don't forget!

Precision Pistol (Bullseye Pistol). Not very good at it, but enjoy it very much, probably more so than PPC. I enjoy the discipline, and when I can get "in the zone" mentally, I do pretty good. But the slightest thing will throw me off, and my scores show it. I can shoot a 80 target, get serious and in the zone, and follow up with a 95. But then loose it and shoot another 80.

Used to shoot, and enjoyed 10 meter air pistol. Pistol got to the point it needed rebuilt, lost interest, sold it.

Used to shoot, and enjoyed 10 meter air pistol.
Air pistol.....now there’s precision. It is, literally, a game of tens (if you aint shootin lots of tens, you are not in the running.)
The ten ring is the same diameter as the pellet.
Pete

I like trap, both ATA and NMLRA muzzle loading matches. I shot 2450 registered singles and hdcp in the 2017 shooting year at ATA trap matches. I just got started in trap doubles. I go to four muzzleloading matches every year, one that's shotgun only and lasts four days.
I also shoot offhand rifle at the other muzzle loading matches and practice offhand rifle with a .22 when I'm just playing around, posting a bullseye target and trying to get a good five shot score.
I'm pretty good at offhand rifle, but it's the trap matches that I find fun.

How long on average does it take to shoot a round of ML Trap?
Pete

I don't know exactly, it's not like we are in a big hurry to finish. Sometimes shooters even take a break in the middle of the match.
Muzzleloading trap does not use squads like modern trap. Shooters load at the loading table, usually somewhere in the shade, then carry their loaded but uncapped or primed gun to their next firing position, muzzle up and above head height at all times, prime or cap at the firing station, call for the bird and shoot, then leave the firing station to reload.
Every shooter has an individual score card that's pinned to the scorekeeper's pin board and at the 4 day shotgun only shoot held near Wichita Falls, the shooters all wear a number on their back for the scorekeeper.
I have never participated in the Friendship trap and skeet matches, but people who go there report that shooters have permanent numbers assigned to them and most of the shooters have them sewn onto the back of their shooting vests.
At Brady, only a handful of people shoot shotgun matches so we all just know each other and pull/score for each other. Pretty informal.

People who own double barrel guns can load both barrels and shoot twice before reloading.

Back