What's your favorite Matches and Why

Favorite competition

Highpower Service Rifle

Conventional Smallbore rifle

NRA Conventional pistol

Because they are precision shooting sports

At present, mostly IDPA with a dash of IPSC and USPSA.

I shot F -T/R class up until The Incident of 2010 but am now so far behind the curve that I doubt I will get back into it.
I also shot BPCR for several years. Been invited to fire up the Browning and get the Winchester adjusted for another pass at that.

In the past I have shot smallbore, PPC, CAS, ATA, CMP RFS, probably some others.

Mainly, as Mark says, the key is the scorecard and the competitors.
If a coworker had not gotten me into Trap a couple years after I got out of college and could afford ammo, I would have gotten tired of solitary vice and taken up one of those sports with the ball that Thomas Jefferson said inferior to the gun.

Favs.

NRA Conventional Pistol (Bullseye)
International Precision Pistol (Free Pistol)
International Air Pistol.
ATA Trap
Smallbore Prone Rifle.

For plinking around, shoot Prone Service Rifle.

Over 35 years ago, I shot on a National Match team in the Navy, both large and smallbore rifle and pistol. I never made it to the finals at Camp Perry, but I had a lot of fun, fired many thousands of rounds at government expense and got some incredible coaching. I remember it fondly, so that is my favorite.

It was not as dynamic as some of the practical stuff that is going on today, but it was almost Zen-like and I really learned the fundamentals of being accurate. It also taught me "shooting endurance." When you are trying to stay on target after hours of shooting you have to have everything second nature.

It was not as dynamic as some of the practical stuff that is going on today, but it was almost Zen-like and I really learned the fundamentals of being accurate. It also taught me "shooting endurance." When you are trying to stay on target after hours of shooting you have to have everything second nature.

There are a lot of the McDonald's themed shooters who could learn a lot from that type of shooting. :D

i have fired steel challenge, falling plates and silhouette and I like silhouette a lot more. There is more challenge to it. I am going to try 3 gun to see how I like it this spring. It requires more accuracy than steel challenge and falling plates and it uses the pistol, rifle and shotgun which is a good combination. I don't know if I will keep doing it but if I find it challenging I am more likely to stay with it than if I find it easy.

I like run 'n gun or fast shooting stuff.

Subgun
USPSA
Steel Challenge
3-gun
Bowling pins

... And I'll settle for IDPA if none of the above are going on that day.

I do pretty good with a shotgun in tactical work but I am lousy at shooting birds - clay or otherwise.
All my shotgun training has been tactical. The only way I can hit a duck is when it's in the water. :)

Competition shoots

I can't wait for this fall I am very partial to the CMP matches myself. I also like to here the old war stories of the many older vets that always frequent these events.Most of my gun collection is wwii stuff so I'm well prepared. I only hope my garrand is up to finishing the match this time,firing pin broke last time out.

I like shooting ICORE (revolver matches), USPSA and Steel Challenge. I've had to give up ICORE and USPSA since I'm in a wheelchair and the ranges here are on rocks and I can't maneuver over them. The Steel Challenge range is on grated dirt and since I don't have to move it fits my needs.

I use to shoot 2 matches a week but now I only get in one Steel Challenge match a month. I still get to the range twice a week for practice.

I also shot Silouette matches with my CPA 45-70 and 38-55. I love shooting at those nock down targets and always like watching the rams fall.

USBR--22 BR-cause it is the only match in the area--140 mi away.

In a couple years that will be all done cause there will no longer be any shooters.

Used to have some families and youth. No longer. I suspect part of the reason is $$. For a dad and kid to shoot a match and one eve practice the week before will be about 75$$ for ammo, and that kind of money will buy lots of groceries and other things for a family.

Last Sat we had 6 shooters. Youngest about 60+ years old.

I too love the ICORE matches followed by USPSA, which I still use my revolvers in. It's not that I don't have any bottom feeders, I have several but I guess that it's just my nature. I love shooting my wheelguns just like I bowhunted for 40 years using longbows and recurves, and I love fly fishing, not spin casting. LOL

Probably whatever I last shot. Started in Boy Scouts, .22 rifle. PPC in the 70's, with revolver as a cop. IPSC in the 80's with 1911. Bullseye matches, 1911 .45 and .22 High Standard HD Military in the 90's. Turn of the century found me doing Cowboy Action Shooting. Last year did my first military high power match, M1 Garand, loved that. I'm going to try IDPA this summer and might look at 3 gun. Being around a bunch of like minded people is just fun.

NRA Indoor Bullseye
I'm 68, started with Bullseye because at the time it was the only game in town, an indoor shooting range had a league on Tuesday night , we would shoot after work, it was fun and I am a better shooter than bowler.
Too old now for those jumping and running games but can still shoot Bullseye .
Gary

Bowling Pin Shooting for me.

And the big Central Lake, Mich pin matches are back! Bowling Pin matches are my favorite because it requires my favorite caliber to do well - the .45 ACP. I have been pin shooting in New England since 1979.

Metallic Silhouette because it forces you to become a good off hand (no support) shooter. Add a little wind and it is quite challenging.

Back