Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I see someone say that some shooters were
opinionated?Surely that can't be right?
I can hardly believe it---and,I know what I'm
talking about.
As far as Glocks are concerned,I know a lot
of guys own them and like them.Why,they are
even popular with animals(some birds anyway).
I know because I asked a Turkey what he
thought was the best handgun.
He said "Glock Glock Glock".
He's a Christmas Turkey now.

I own several Glocks and 1911s. I shoot both in local IDPA matches. I cannot get double taps as fast with the Glocks as I can with the 1911s. It could be operator malfunction though. I have set up the triggers on the Glocks to have a consistant pull front to rear. I treat the Glocks like a double action revolver. It took a while to get used to their trigger pulls but it can be done. I will say this about the Glocks I have never had a failure to feed or fire.

Most people made my points but I would
add that the G27 or G26 are very reliable,
easy to shoot, easy to conceal, easy to
clean carry guns.

I've taken LFI-1 with my 26 and was at
no disadvantage to the full size guns.
Other courses, too. By the way at
LFI - about 60 % of the guns were Glocks.
At SDSI - Defensive Handgun II - all were
Glocks.

OK for you "curious" ones, let's get off the Glock crap. If you don't like em' why mention em'.
Don't even post anything about them, why bother? Does curiosity make you want one? Didn't think do, because you wouldn't "bother" with tupperware. But why do millions like them? Beats the hell out of me.

------------------
Go get me my gun, it's the one that says "Bad MOTHERF****R"

What ticks me off is hearing the gun called tupperware. Come on, kids, isn't that a little 1985? If you think a handguns frame needs to made of metal, fine. It's your life, carry what you wish. But PLEASE don't imply that the grip frame is not strong because it is made of a poly. That statement is simply not true. The age of bakelite is over. Plastic technology has come a long way.

As for KBs!, I'll treat'em live elves. Until I see one, of even a photo of one, I will not believe in them. For years people have talked of this, but I've never seen a picture of it. Not in a book, not in a magazine, not on the net. Never a name and address of someone I could write to and ask about it. Nothing. Oh, there's much talk of them by very reliable sources. But very intelligent people clame to have been kidnapped by Bigfoots from Mars. Produce the pictures of these Glocks or I'll never believe it.

Is the Glock ugly? That's a matter of taste. To me, it reminds me of a piece of Post-Modern art.

Merry Christmas.

I really don't think calling glocks tupperware as much an insult as it is just a nickname. Sort of like 1911s being called "ol slabsides" or revolvers refered to as "wheel guns". Besides the whole nickname is "Tactical Tupperware". Its a joke, right. Why take it so serious?

Yeah, Glocks aren't pretty. SFW? All of my favorite guns are butt-ugly in terms of pure aesthetics, but they're all gorgeous when you look at function and reliability.

I really don't understand the whole "they're too big in the grip!" thing either. My hands are small. I wear a size 9 ring, my hands are 7" long from wrist to tip of middle finger, and 5" across at the ball of the thumb. With these tiny paws, I shoot a G20 far better than a 1911.

Aftermarket parts: My G20 has the following mods:
-Wolff steel guide rod w/ 20# spring
-Aro-Tek ghost ring rear/tritium front
-Glockmeister extended slide stop
-Scherer 3.5# connector
-Action Direct Plug
-Brooks Tactical AGrip

Want to guess what my reliability rate is? That's right, Sparky: 99.9% over 1000 rounds. One failure to feed, caused by ammo (case stretched out of spec, reloaded too many times, split upon firing).

The G26, now... only mods I've done are the 3.5# connector and AGrip. I've put 500 rounds through it, with again one failure, caused by a dead primer.

Simply put: Glocks work. That's why I like them.

------------------
"The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it."
-- John Hay, 1872

BB,

The only modified Glock I've seen fail at IPSC matches is mine. All other observed Glock failures were with box-stock Glocks, in 9x19 and 40S&W, with factory 10- and/or high-cap magazines.

I expect a modified gun like mine to be finicky, and I'm not suprised by it.
I was extremely suprised to see stock Glocks fail for ANY reason, but I did not personally observe the loading of magazines, nor the quality of the ammunition used.

My point was Glocks are not 100% guns. No gun is (regardless of specific individual examples). The best we can hope for is the one we buy is the 'good' one.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Every Glock "kB" studied so far has been reloader error with one exception, and the factory accepted blame for that, due to weak cases.
All guns blow up when reloaders make mistakes.
The difference is, when a Glock goes, it absorbs the damage with the polymer frame and there is no injury to the user.

Of the many (mostly .40 caliber reloaded) Glocks that people have managed to blow up with their overcharged reloads, NOT ONE has resulted in more damage than a cut on the finger, and I don't believe that any of them required medical attention other than a bandaid.

If you are going to reload poorly and blow up your gun, you might as well make it a Glock, because at least then you will not be injured when you cross the line and overcharge your loads.

That said, several of my friends and I have been reloading for our Glocks for over ten years and I have never had nor seen a Glock blow up, nor know of anyone personally, who has blown up their Glock.
On the other hand, I do know people that have blown up revolvers, 1911's, and Sigs. All guns blow up when you overcharge your powder.

In all my studies of Glocks and the kB myth, I have seen some Glocks that people have blown up with overcharged reloads. Not one had any damage whatsoever to the handle. The mag blows out sometimes, the trigger breaks off sometimes, but never ever does the handle take any damage. When looking at pistures of the outside, you usually cannot even tell that the gun is damaged. The story above that your Glock handle will blow up and give you nerve damage is horse poop.

It's pretty funny when people have to exclaim that they once saw a Glock "puke" (whatever that term means exactly).

It is like "You know what, one time, I saw a Glock jam! Tee hee!"

It is the old "man bites dog story". News is not newsworthy if it is an every day occurence.

What I am getting at in so many words is that no one ever says "You know what, I saw a really nice 1911 jam once!". Why not? Because it happens every day! It is not even worth saying! Guns jam every single day, and Glocks are the least of them.
My friends Sig jams like crazy, even though it just got back from the factory with a full tune up. Slide doesn't lock back, fails to feed, and stovepipes. It also goes without saying that I have seen $1000 1911's that jam every magazine, with ten different magazines tried and hundred of dollars trying to fix it. I have never seen a Glock jam due to mechanical failure, period. I have seen some shoddy ammo that does not fire, with bad primers or no powder in teh case, but I have never seen a Glock mechanically fail to funtion in any way. But when I do, you can bet that I am going to remember it, because it will be an amazing sight.

I shot a match recently and had two failures to chamber in my Glock. (Gasp!) Why? Because I was using some ****ty ass reloads. The cases were expanded and wavy like an accordian and would not chamber. That ain't the fault of the gun, there is no gun that would chamber that crap.

The point is, just the fact that you have to say that you saw a Glock jam before proves the point of how reliable they are. If they were not so darned reliable, it would not be worth mentioning that you saw one jam before. You would not giggle at the sight of one jamming. When you see a fancy 1911 jam, it is just another day. When a Glock has one of it's few jams (even though you have no idea what kind of ammo was being used, what kind of mags (aftermarket?), springs, etc), then you giggle, nudge your neighbor and write it down on your calendar so that you can remember the day you saw a Glock jam!

Instructors at all the major firearms schools, when asked what is the most reliable gun they see come through their school, ALL say that the Glock is the most reliable gun. These are people that see hundreds of guns a weekm thousands of rounds fired a week through them, and can take an accurate survey.

I guess we could get similar strong opinions if we did a survey about automobiles, eh?

I've put quite a few rounds through Glocks (a few hundred), and know that it would take a LOT for me to get used to one. The primary problem I have is that when I bring one up to target, my natural inclination due to the shape of my hands and wrists is to come up about 10-15 degrees too high. They just aren't "natural pointers" for me, so I have stayed away from them.

I own a Sig P239 for a carry gun, and, since my life depends on that one, it is the only one that I shoot with any regularity. I laughed when I read the one comment from the person with the small hands liking the bigger grips on the Glock. I have HUGE hands (size 13 ring), and really like the single stack magazine on my Sig. I've never done any match shooting, so I can't comment on how I would do there, but I do know that I have put upwards of 5,000 rounds through this gun in a little over 2 years, and it jammed on me once: the very first time I fired it, on the feed of the second round. And that was my fault, because I didn't clean and oil it first.

The bottom line is that you need to find what works best for you, and then go with it. For some that will be a Glock, for others a Sig, H&K, or other. What's needed here is some perspective. Let's be thankful that there is a wide variety of handguns out there for us to choose from, so that we can all find what suits each of us as individuals.

Then buy those that suit and fit you and shoot the crap out of them!

My club (USPSA) shoots every week, and I see all types of handguns.

So far, the only autos I've seen work 100% are

My EAA Witness early model 9x19 has never puked (term meaning "to jam", or "to jam horribly") when I've chamber-checked the ammo (Nowlin barrel with a way-tight chamber). Never.
My Glock (whether stock or modified) jams, my other two EAA's (one small, one large frame), my 1911, my GP100's (two), all fail occasionally.

Glocks of all sorts (26, 27, 24, 23, 22, 17, 19) have jammed in front of my eyes.

My point was not "nah nah", my point was don't expect a perfect gun. Train to clear and continue.
Competition is a wonderful proving ground for your carry gun. Skip winning (or whining), shoot the way you carry with exactly what you carry. Great fun and enlightening, too.

I bought a Glock because I think it's a good gun, but I don't think it's the best.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Glock is a nice gun, but so is a kel tec P32.

I'll break it down simply.
Glock knew that people would not buy his ugly new gun for the prices he wanted especially since nobody heard of them. To solve this he marketed his gun to the LEO's at a very reduced price, out bidding many other guns. He knew that if people saw Police carrying this gun then everyone would want one. Now when you buy one you pay twicw what they are really worth. I agree that this is a simple gun that get's the job done. It is not worth in excess of $500. With simplicity should come savings.

This is why people get aggrevated with Glock maniacs. They pay twice what the gun is worth, then slam every other gun to justify their investment.
When I become an LEO I will not mind carrying a Glock. I would prefer a Sig.

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

Want to see an evidence of Glocks that exploded. See this sight. http://www.frontsight.com/safety.htm

Not from me but from them. Search more in the internet and you may find many incidents like these on Glocks. Sights like this give me a creepy feeling of shooting on glocks. I cannot vouch the authenticity of these but the web will speak of.

Thanks

stdalire,

I think you missed a BIG component in that article you referenced:

"In all incidents reported, reloads were used."

As I stated earlier, I am not a Glock fan, but that has to do with ergonomics of their pistols in my hands rather than the quality of the firearms themselves. They aren't good natural pointers for me, so I stay away from them. Sig's are, and that is what I have and will continue to use.

But you can't blame the incidents that you referenced on the firearms, as it was CLEARLY an ammunition problem.

Bob: Thanks for your addendum, I overlooked to mention the cause of the explosion. But if it is a durable gun, would it not just damage the barrel or perhaps any parts of the gun, not totally fragmented into several parts.

I don't hate Glock but it just happen I am more fascinated with the steel all made gun which I think suits my purpose in owning one. Sometimes we do own some tools which we feel comfortable and dependable to us.

Thanks again.

Ugly ? Some of you guys make me LOL.. Must be the ones who take an hour to get ready to go out..

Never bought a weapon because it was pretty. I have bought them (GLOCK) because they are durable, super reliable, consistent and high quality. For the same price, you can't get a pistol that has all of these qualities.

And if you have to spend a lot of $ to be happy, shell out $150+ more and get a Sig or H&K..

Flame THIS :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back