What's with Glock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took a pistol course some years back. At one point, just for fun, the instructor had everyone shoot at a bowling pin set at 50 yards. It took a few shots, but everyone hit it. One of the students, using an unmodified Glock hit it on the first shot. At that, the instructor got his pistol (also a Glock) and was also able to make a first round hit on the pin.

I was interested in seeing how one of my Glocks (unmodified 3rd Gen 17) shot so I did some rested shooting with it at 25 yards (5 shot groups) using four types of ammo. The average group size was 3", the best was 2" using American Eagle 115gr.

My CZ75B will outshoot my Glocks, as will my Beretta Elite II 92G, but that's because they're especially accurate, not because the Glocks shoot poorly.

But the out of the box triggers on 99% of the 1911's sold come with a 5-7 lb trigger pull. Exactly the same as 99% of the Glocks,....

My experience is that while the pull WEIGHT might be the same, the pull on a GLock is significantly different than a 1911A1. For some people that makes enough of a difference.

It does for me.

Thirty years in... Do you really think they've survived in a crowded market if they aren't capable of better performance than the op suggests?

Go look at any of 1000 reviews done... Most gun reviews show group size at 25 yards. WAY better than your claim.

I also previously did some USPSA shooting with a stock Glock 17.... It is a very accurate gun.

Heck, I just bought a Glock 19 like 2 weeks ago... I do personally prefer DA/SA guns. But, the original poster is way misinformed.

Last edited:
OP Again . . .

I've been doing a lot of reading lately. Mostly about Glocks. When the article is a gun review the Glocks will glow! Some of the articles I been reading have been "Off the Shelf" ammunition review/testing. It seems that the Glock is at its best when left in the safe. When a Glock is loaded and on the firing line, it goes downhill fast. It doesn't seem to differ, bullet type, bullet weight, by 20yds the groups will open up to 6"to7", and at 25yds the groups are 10" plus. I got an old 1911a1 that I borrowed from the Army in Viet Nam in '66 that still shoots better than that . . .

Some of you may want to check out my post again. The Glock when it's the subject of a regular gun review, Glows [ that means "Very Very Good!]! It's only when it is being used as a testbed for ammunition, that Glock becomes guilty by association. I'm sure the Glock can benefit from a little Ammo testing.

In the "OP" I mentioned a "GI" issued 1911a1, using the "in-theater" ammo [ head stamped from WWII & Korean War] that produced those world-famous [NOT] groups. Not until I was back a few months did I run across some head stamped "64 MATCH". The groups went from 12" down to 5". Even with the "GI" sights, it shot much better. After that, I started to add some of the "Goodies", the Tall Fixed NM sights, fitted a longer barrel link, new [tighter] barrel bushing, flat mainspring housing [1911], and a longer trigger [also 1911]. When I started reloading the group really sunk ! ! !

Last edited:
My rifle club had 10”steel plates at various ranges. I can hit the 50yd plate all day long with my G26.

I have a 10" plate at 50 yards at my range. I beat it up with my Glock 26 as well. It's amazing how accurate that little pistol is!

9x19

Thirty years in... Do you really think they've survived in a crowded market if they aren't capable of better performance than the op suggests?

you do realize that glock exists on being the cheapest possible bidder for government and police contracts. and that they RELY upon the association of "its what the FBI/SEALS/local police use so it MUST be the ultimate in reliability" in order to sell to civilians...

Bake Some of you may want to check out my post again. The Glock when it's the subject of a regular gun review, Glows [ that means "Very Very Good!]! It's only when it is being used as a testbed for ammunition, that Glock becomes guilty by association. I'm sure the Glock can benefit from a little Ammo testing.
Well, your "clarification" is no more accurate than your original post.
Glocks are probably the least ammo sensitive handgun in production.

I'm not sure what your point really is.:rolleyes:

The Glock when it's the subject of a regular gun review, Glows [ that means "Very Very Good!]! It's only when it is being used as a testbed for ammunition, that Glock becomes guilty by association. I'm sure the Glock can benefit from a little Ammo testing.
What specific sources are you finding that indicates Glocks have troubles making groups that are smaller than 10" at 25 yards?

I've been shooting Glocks for about 3 decades, and have owned half a dozen or so in that timeframe, but I've never run across one that shot that poorly--and if I did, I would return it to the manufacturer for service.

I've also taken a few classes and been to a number of matches where Glocks have been used and have not noticed that they perform significantly differently, in terms of accuracy, compared to other common brands.

I also regularly read gun reviews in published periodicals and offhand, I can't recall reading any reviews where accuracy testing of any Glock showed unusually poor results (e.g. 10" plus groups at 25 yards).

I certainly have seen guns that will outperform Glocks for accuracy--I own a couple myself. But that's because they are unusually accurate, not because the Glocks are unusually inaccurate.

Perhaps if you could provide some more background information on this testing, it would help explain the apparent disparity.

PocketCamera

you do realize that glock exists on being the cheapest possible bidder for government and police contracts. and that they RELY upon the association of "its what the FBI/SEALS/local police use so it MUST be the ultimate in reliability" in order to sell to civilians...
Nonsense.
Glock was underbid by Sig for the M17 contract. Glock doesn't win every LE/Mil contract it bids on. If it did no LE would be carrying S&W/Sig/HK/Beretta/FN/etc.

That pretty much destroys your whole premise doesn't it?;)

Ever stop to consider that "the FBI/SEALS/local police" have other considerations than price?

I realize some folks will grasp at any available straw to denigrate their least favorite brand.

Look up the dates for when Glock began selling pistols in the US, and when they were adopted by the FBI or any of the Spec Ops groups?

Since one occurs a decade before the others, it might be possible Glock's reputation for reliability and durability led to their being considered by those agencies.

and consider that many people still only shoot a 50 round of ammo per gun per year AT THE MOST..

crap, i saw an article stating Charter and its "limited useage recomendation" was no issue as MOST handguns only see 1 box of ammunition a year at most, and in some cases, a handgun or rifle gets bought with a box of ammunition and in the life span of the owner, the box may never get used up.

I have seen far to many articles that state hunting rifles may get 5 rounds a year by the average user. as a result... just about anything that doesnt blow up when fired is an excellent weapon.

So if most of your users only shoot perhaps 20-50 rounds of ammunition year through a glock, does it make glock the most reliable design?

Troll post is winning, apparently.

If you really think the average Glock is horribly inaccurate, why would they be some of the most purchased, most used, and most recommended pistols on the market for over 30 years? If there was something significantly better at any reasonable price, people would have switched.
Are their better guns? Sure. Pick what you want them to be better at, and give me a $3,000 budget, I'm sure I'll find something. Give me $1K or less and tell me to find a reliable and accurate handgun for general use, and I'll probably find a Glock 19 or 43x for you, and give you $400 back.

crap, i saw an article stating Charter and its "limited useage recomendation" was no issue as MOST handguns only see 1 box of ammunition a year at most, and in some cases, a handgun or rifle gets bought with a box of ammunition and in the life span of the owner, the box may never get used up.

I have seen far to many articles that state hunting rifles may get 5 rounds a year by the average user. as a result... just about anything that doesnt blow up when fired is an excellent weapon.

So if most of your users only shoot perhaps 20-50 rounds of ammunition year through a glock, does it make glock the most reliable design?
Appears you read a lot of articles... and, like the OP, it appears you don’t have any actual user experience.

Jim

I bought a Gen 2 Glock 19 in 1992 and still CCW it and shoot it often today. I don't have anywhere near as many rounds through mine as shooter in link below but it has never ever given me a problem with a wide range of ammo. I put a Glock Grip force adapter on mine since the Gen 2 has no back straps and I needed a little extra trigger reach. Other than that never a mod to my Glock 19 and it still has poly sights.

OduHDLn.jpg

It is OK is someone does not like Glock for whatever reason but silly to make up stories about Glocks.

Interesting article on a Glock 17 - 365,000 ROUNDS AND COUNTING.

https://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2017/09/glock-17-pistol-torture-test/

Exerpt:

Finally, at around 325,000 rounds, the trigger pin broke, causing a stoppage. It was quickly replaced and shooting resumed. Then, after another hundred rounds, the firing pin tail chipped, but the gun continued to function. The trigger pull weight changed, however, indicating that something had happened. So the gun was once again field-stripped and examined, disclosing the chipped part. Since then, no further failures have been experienced.

The verdict? The net result of 29 years of carrying the Glock 17, dry-practicing with it, immersing it in water, mud, sand, dust and even cow manure, and shooting it in extreme heat, extreme cold, rain and blowing dust has only produced some insignificant actual wear and tear. From a Ransom Rest, the test G17 still clusters any kind of decent ammunition into an inch or better at 15 meters. The only visibly detectable wear has been with the finish, which has understandably become bit thin, especially where various parts contact the holster and shooting hand, and the magazine well shows some battering from tens of thousands of speed and tactical reloads. No other handgun of which I am aware can equal this kind of toughness. I’m confident in that.

Last edited:
One modification, that Glock has come up with, a dumb one! Forward striations on the slide "For press checking!" Does not the extractor stick out when a round is chambered?
When we moved from Canada in 2004, I brought three Glocks with me. And once I obtained my Green Card (My Son was a Citizen) I purchased a Glock 17, Gen4 with a surprisingly good trigger. My first IPSC match, in Jacksonville FL, had a field course, the furthest target was at 45 yds. And only had the center 6" as a target to score, all on each side of the center 6" was blacked out.
The young guy who was patching the targets called me down to see my target (because it was so far away I had fired 4 rounds, standing) the 4 rounds hit center chest (If it had a chest!) two touching, one an inch away, one 3" away) He said he could not have done that with a rifle! I let him in to a secret, neither could I.

One modification, that Glock has come up with, a dumb one! Forward striations on the slide "For press checking!" Does not the extractor stick out when a round is chambered?
When we moved from Canada in 2004, I brought three Glocks with me. And once I obtained my Green Card (My Son was a Citizen) I purchased a Glock 17, Gen4 with a surprisingly good trigger. My first IPSC match, in Jacksonville FL, had a field course, the furthest target was at 45 yds. And only had the center 6" as a target to score, all on each side of the center 6" was blacked out.
The young guy who was patching the targets called me down to see my target (because it was so far away I had fired 4 rounds, standing) the 4 rounds hit center chest (If it had a chest!) two touching, one an inch away, one 3" away) He said he could not have done that with a rifle! I let him in to a secret, neither could I.

Yeah we already had a whole thread on forward serrations that you started. I don’t think we need to go down that route again.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...ead.php?t=604985&share_type=t&link_source=app

Nice shooting by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If you won't take the time to learn the Glock trigger, which is how you shoot a Glock well, don't complain about it being inaccurate. None of my Glocks are inaccurate, wonder why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back