What's with all the ROAs all of a sudden?

But those that have a ROA can have the best of both worlds!!

Well, they certainly can be in both worlds, but I don't consider having to remove the cartridge cylinder to reload it quite "the best" of that world. Certainly the Cadillac of the BP world though.

bamaranger, couldn't help but notice your post #4; I believe I met that same guy back in MN in the late 70's. He, out of the blue, offered me to shoot his ROA in a pistol match, and I placed. He even loaded it for me. His Ruger OA was a wonderful thing to shoot, for sure, and I shot that particular match on a spur-of-the-moment whim. He wouldn't sell that pistol to me, either. I'm sure he probably still has it. And, it's the only time since, or after that match, that I've ever shot an ROA. I can only imagine that they're all like that one.

I'm somewhat with Hawg on this one. I am too much of an history buff to go for the modern designed ROA. I've been shooting against ROAs since I started CAS in 1993 and was told by a good friend gunsmith that "If you want to be competitive go get yourself a pair of ROAs and I'll cut the barrels down to 6" for you". I never took him up on it and later Ruger came out with the shortened ROAs. I've won the state (OR & WA) titles in Frontiersman several times but it has more to do with who shows up for the shoot and do they know how to use the gun they use.

So Hawg you're saying that if I go back to the gun show, and grab up that SS ROA, you won't buy my blued ROA I have right now for $5.00 plus shipping cost of $18, if I have your word you'll keep it? Be honest now!!

Honestly, I'd tell you where you could stuff it. :D

roashooter yeah it looks it, plus a few years ago I defarbed it and aged it even further so it looks more like a barn find original I once had. I have no doubt if your Ruger had gone through what mine did it wouldn't look so pristine either. :D Now don't get me wrong I had cartridge guns at the same time that I took very good care of and I had access to most of my dads guns but this one just begged to be roughhoused.

"but this one just begged to be roughhoused."

which is what you would do with a neglected gun...by a 12yo....

I took care of mine....no "roughhousing to be begged"...so I still can use it after all these years..

Mike - years ago I suggested to Ruger to make a cap 'n ball cylinder for their Super Blackhawks. They didn't take the suggestion.

"but this one just begged to be roughhoused."

which is what you would do with a neglected gun...by a 12yo....

I took care of mine....no "roughhousing to be begged"...so I still can use it after all these years..

I don't think you understand. It wasn't neglected when I got it, it was brand new and it still works just fine and will still make a mess out of a water moccasins head, altho I'm not brave enough to walk the riverbank actively hunting them now.:D

"I don't think you understand. It wasn't neglected when I got it, it was brand new"

I understand completely...it was brand new when you got it...the neglect is yours....as per your posting....

"I've got an old Rigarmi 58 Remington Beals I bought new in 69 when I was 12. It's been thru hell and hi water. After being severly used and abused and stored for a buncha years due to a broken loading lever It was looking pretty scruffy."

I understand completely...it was brand new when you got it...the neglect is yours..

Oh yeah, I'm not denying it was abused and neglected. I thought you thought it was neglected when I got it and I was mistaken it's not a Beals. The point is that it still shoots as good as it ever did, probably as good as your pristine Ruger.

I just like playing with black powder and muzzle loaders more than I'm into pretending I'm living in the 1860's, so the ROA suits me just fine. It's not a replica of anything, that makes it an original.
I just wish Ruger had chosen to make a .36 version on the smaller Blackhawk frame.

"I just wish Ruger had chosen to make a .36 version on the smaller Blackhawk frame."

do you think ruger would have called it the "New Navy"....:)

would be on my to buy list.....even if it was NOT period correct...

Or the Ruger "Navyhawk" since they love naming things after birds!! :D

Really though, a smaller and lighter ROA in .36 caliber (that takes proper .375" round ball, no weird .380" balls please) would QUICKLY find it's way into my herd. Add a slightly larger powder chamber over a '51, say 35-40 grains. I'd bet with some 3F Swiss powder you could get that little ball going fast.

I imagine a blued version with the adjustable sights and the walnut grip panels. 7 or 7.5" bbl please. :D

Back